• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:41 AM

I found a Troy Bilt Horse for sale a few days ago that has no engine, what is there, looks in real good shape. I have a couple of engines here that would be good candidates to go on there.

The seller does not have the old engine, but does have all the belts pullies and such needed to put another engine on there.  It is a "newer" model, as those tillers go, Im thinking mid '90s by the stickers.

I think the asking price for what's left is a bit high but it was advertised as "OBO" 

I paid less for my current Horse that was a runner when I got it --- albeit a tired, smoking one-- that I also wound up re powering

I dont need 2 of them but I am thinking I can pop an engine on this other one and then flip either taht one or my current one come spring...

I do have an engine sitting here that would go good on a Horse tiller just gotta get out to the shed at my parents cottage and check crank diameter.... so I wont have to go buy an engine for it

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,299 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:55 AM

I thought those took a special engine case to work with the belt tightener.

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 11:49 AM

no, just need a 3/4" diam crank and the 4 bolt flange pattern drilled/tapped into the PTO side of the block...

I cant speak for other smaller TB tiller models. maybe those are as you are describing.

• MH81 said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:10 PM

I thought those took a special engine case to work with the belt tightener.

Alan, I have the little one,the Junior model. It uses a Tecumseh 3.5hp with the camshaft used with a separate belt for doing reverse. This setup was also used on early walk behind snowblowers. I've got an Ariens 4hp walk behind with the same style engine. I don't know if the middle model TB had the cam driven reverse or not. 

• dodge trucker said thank you