• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • Member No: 48091
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hey all, I have a power products model ah-36 that won't run. It fires when I put gas in the cylinder, but I don't think it is getting gas from the carburetor. Does anyone know how to fix that? And I also need a new recoil spring. So was wondering where I can find one of those at. I'm not real familiar with these motors so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

• JRJ said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:42 PM

You probably aren't getting gas from the carburetor.  Do you have a Tillotson MT series?  If so, you have a tiny hole at the bottom of the float bowl that will need to be cleaned out. 

I would also try a little gas into the carb throttle housing, just to see if the 2 stroke is pulling through good reed valves or not.

Ben W.

• JRJ and cglisson01 have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I think Ben hit the nail on the head.  If it fires with gas in the cylinder then it is usually a carburetor issue.  I'm not familiar with the ah-36 so follow Ben's suggestions.

• cglisson01 said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:42 AM

Hey all, I have a power products model ah-36 that won't run. It fires when I put gas in the cylinder, but I don't think it is getting gas from the carburetor. Does anyone know how to fix that? And I also need a new recoil spring. So was wondering where I can find one of those at. I'm not real familiar with these motors so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

I can find you a recoil spring, but I need to know the type of your engine.  AH-36 is on the blower shroud tag, but I will have to send you looking for the 4 digit type number.  Power Products engines are listed by type, not real model.  It could be stamped on the block on the left side of the carburetor or it could be on a stamped metal tag somewhere on the engine.

AH-36's basic model does not show a recoil starter. 

Ben W.

• JRJ and cglisson01 have said thanks

#5 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:26 AM

I can find you a recoil spring, but I need to know the type of your engine.  AH-36 is on the blower shroud tag, but I will have to send you looking for the 4 digit type number.  Power Products engines are listed by type, not real model.  It could be stamped on the block on the left side of the carburetor or it could be on a stamped metal tag somewhere on the engine.

Ben W.

Thanks Ben, that would be great!!! The motor is on the yard hand I just got and I'm going to try and take it off the tractor today to be able to work on it easier. When I take it off, I will search for them numbers and let you know what I find. Thanks again Ben!!!

• superaben said thank you

#6 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:27 PM

Ben W.

I have another question for you Ben. How do I check the reed valves on this motor. And are there any rings for the piston available for it? Thanks, Chris

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 07:22 PM

I have another question for you Ben. How do I check the reed valves on this motor. And are there any rings for the piston available for it? Thanks, Chris

Rings will depend on the type code.  I think I do have rings here, Chris, and I know I have a connecting rod if it is toasted. 

The reed valves would have been covered in a service manual of sorts, which is something I have never found for a Power Products.  The main thing you are hunting for are reed valves stuck open.  If the engine runs with gas in the carburetor, then the reeds are probably safe.

Ben W.

#8 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 07:55 PM

I think I figured out the problem. I took the carburetor off and found the reed valves. One looks like it broke off years ago and is long gone. So now I need to find either the entire reed valve part or just reed material to fix what I have.

#9 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:18 PM

Well put new reeds and a recoil spring on the motor and she fired right up. Thanks for all the help!!

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Well put new reeds and a recoil spring on the motor and she fired right up. Thanks for all the help!!

Great news, Chris!  If you don't mind me asking, who had the parts?  I have three more Power Products engines to get purring yet, and I would like to have another source beyond my inventory and my usual supply chain.

Ben W.

#11 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Great news, Chris!  If you don't mind me asking, who had the parts?  I have three more Power Products engines to get purring yet, and I would like to have another source beyond my inventory and my usual supply chain.

Ben W.

Thanks!! And I kind of lucked out on the reeds by having a old chainsaw laying around. It has a ah-47 motor and the reeds matched perfectly. The new spring I bought at the local mower shop. Turns out a old tecumseh spring is just about the same size. All I had to do was give it a little more hook so it would grab. I can get you the part number if you'd like.

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Thanks!! And I kind of lucked out on the reeds by having a old chainsaw laying around. It has a ah-47 motor and the reeds matched perfectly. The new spring I bought at the local mower shop. Turns out a old tecumseh spring is just about the same size. All I had to do was give it a little more hook so it would grab. I can get you the part number if you'd like.

Post 'er on, I'd like to know and I'm sure others would too.

Ben W.

#13 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Ok here's he part number. Again it's a tecumseh part and the number is 590487. Hope it helps