• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:09 PM

I had a little time to work on implements today and now I can pull the seeder with my tractor. As usual, I started by looking through my stash and things came together pretty fast on this build. The red bracket was already bent just right to get the top link lined up right. :D

The holes are spaced 2" apart with one in the center. When planting my wide rows, I can bolt the seeder in various holes, making multiple passes in the same tracks to have evenly spaced rows........if I drive straight enough. :rolling:

I can use the 3 pt bracket for other things as well.

A.jpg B.jpg D.jpg E.jpg F.jpg G.jpg H.jpg I.jpg

Edited by freedhardwoods, October 19, 2013 - 07:14 PM.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,522 Thanks
  • 3,916 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Neat way to mount it. I like how you can move it from side to side on the bracket. I never heard of the hoss seeder before. Can you easily run different seeds through it? And can you vary the seed spacing?

• freedhardwoods said thank you

#3 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:59 AM

I like it! Simple and adjustable. Nice build. :thumbs:

#4 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:03 AM

This guy bought one and likes it so well he became a dealer.

http://russellsprodu...der_Review.html

http://russellsprodu...r_review_2.html

The only thing I have planted with it is soybeans. The seeder did a good job, but the seed was too old and didn't grow.

I bought mine from the factory at - https://hosstools.com/    I also got some extra plates and the drill template. Here is a short review I made a couple months ago when I got it. The changes I mention are going to be one of my winter projects.

It is solidly built using a simple design. They used rugged parts in the high stress and high wear areas, and cheaper parts in areas that do not need heavier and more expensive material. Overall, it looks like a machine that could last you many years with normal care and maintenance.

There was 3 minor things I noticed that I am going to change while getting it ready so that hopefully this will be the last planter I ever buy. Two are minor quality issues that could be resolved at the factory by making slight changes for virtually no cost. The third is something I believe would be an attractive option that would help sell the planter.

1 – The drive wheel has a small amount of side to side play. I am going to install flat washers to take up the slack. (Very simple fix.)
The factory needs to install 1/8” longer bushings on each side to keep the drive wheel in place or the drive wheel itself needs to be slightly wider to solve the problem.

2 – The punched hole in the sides of the drive wheel is slightly too large for the shaft it is mounted on which could cause excess wear after lots of use. I will install a shim of the proper thickness on the flat side of the shaft to tighten it up. (Very simple fix.)
The factory could just use a slightly smaller hole punch in the manufacturing process to solve the problem.

3 – The factory uses a light chain made from wire to run the planter box. I am going to install a roller chain to run between the gears for a much longer chain and gear life. I will also keep on hand a couple different size gears so I can change seed spacing by changing gear sizes. (Another very simple fix)
It seems like that would be a nice option to offer from the factory.

Edited by freedhardwoods, October 20, 2013 - 07:32 AM.

• Alc, shorty and JRJ have said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 05:50 AM

Will you be able to have some way to loosing the soil before the planter ? Reason I ask is when I try using my earthway planter it works best when the soil is worked with the roto-tiller right before planting . Maybe pulling the planter through like what your doing  would work better anyway idk .

#6 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:52 AM

Will you be able to have some way to loosing the soil before the planter ? Reason I ask is when I try using my earthway planter it works best when the soil is worked with the roto-tiller right before planting . Maybe pulling the planter through like what your doing  would work better anyway idk .

IF (that is a big "if") some of the ideas I'm going to work on before spring don't work, I'll loosen, then plant.

I'm always trying to figure something out. Some of the things I'm working on in my head -

> An angled piece of metal ahead of the furrow opener to cut the soil and lift trash out of the way.

> Turning a 4 row, wheel driven planter into four 1 row, 3 ph, press wheel driven planters

> I bought a worn no-till coulter from a local farmer that rebuilds big planters. I will see how it works on one of the above.

L.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 05:51 AM

I saw this in looking for no till info , kind of reminded me of on of those Weed Wessels that my mom had . That might do a nice job for preparing the area ahead of the Earth Way seeder

http://extension.mis.../p/M164#planter

Attached Thumbnails

• m00164art05.jpg

Edited by Alc, October 23, 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#8 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 07:15 PM

I saw this in looking for no till info , kind of reminded me of on of those Weed Wessels that my mom had . That might do a nice job for preparing the area ahead of the Earth Way seeder

http://extension.mis.../p/M164#planter

That would probably work better than what I was planning to try.

Do you use an Earth Way seeder? I bought my Hoss because of the problems I was having with my All-In-One which is almost identical to Earth Way.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 08:08 PM

End up just using it for sweet corn but went through with my push plow to open the furrow first .