Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:23 PM

OK, guys, got a question.

I'll be going to a plow day in Pataskala OH next Saturday, and will be using the HDT1000.

It's basically the same as the HT23 and has the 2-sp rear end.

The question is, would it be better to have the rear end in high or low range for plowing?

I'll be plowing with a Brinly 12" 3-pt plow.

Any input would be appreciated.

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Low gear would be the best. Helps keep the power on the motor up and easier on the rearend. Just remember any time you push or pull low is the best gear to be in.

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Definitely low range!  The hydrostat will be running full speed.  If you run in high range, likely you will be pulling hard, and not pulling full rpm's which would strain the gears & the oil.

#4 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:18 PM

my son has a ht20 without the 2 speed and he plows with his like its nothing. I have the ht20d with the 2 speed and I would think that the low would be too slow. mine is super slow in low.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I'm not familiar with Bolens, so maybe their low range is almost bull-dog low.  May be it will do fine in high range.  Tractors with a single speed rear are usually a little slower geared than those with 2 speed rears.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:27 PM

I know that at least in high range that it's geared a bit higher than the HT20D.  It's top speed is 13.8 MPH while the 23 and 20D top out at 10 Mph.  I can't find anything in the Service Manual or Owners Manual that address the top speed in low range.

I guess that I'll start in low range, and if that's too slow go to high.

Then if high is too fast, I guess I could drag a non-running Deere and it's plow to help slow down a bit  :D :D :D

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862 and fxrs55 have said thanks

#7 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:53 AM

I had a JD 400 with a 2 speed rear end. It did OK in high, but did better in low.

#8 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Somewhere on the net I've seen a recommendation that full size farmers use a speed somewhere between 3 to 5 mph, with about 4 being the sweet spot.  The faster you go, the more power is needed for any given size plow.   I would use low range simply because it will give you a finer control of your forward speed, it will take a larger movement of the control to produce a similar change in speed.  I know when plowing with my 12H single speed rear end, I was constantly tweaking the speed a bit.  I was also plowing in rough field conditions, so that may have had something to do with it.  Enjoyit, my kids were reluctant participants at first, but before the day was done they were quite enthusiastic.

Here is information about draft, speed, and I think traction:

http://open-furrow.s...nd Traction.pdf

#9 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:56 AM

Both my Massey MF16 and Mtd990 move at 1/2 speed in low compared to high.

#10 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 11:05 AM

I have plowed with one of my HT23's, in both high and low ranges. Success was determined entirely by ground conditions. Where I live in Illinois, most of the ground is high quality topsoil, and breaks open easily. I used high range there. In a couple of areas at a friend's new garden breaking open virgin ground with some clay and rocks, I had to use low range with the same 3-pt 12" plow.

That said, the factory HT23 Operator's Manual very clearly says for the two-speed Eaton 11:

"Use LOW range (0-3.6 mph) for high load operations, such as tilling, plowing, snow throwing, etc."

Edited by LPBolens, October 23, 2013 - 11:16 AM.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#11 chuckerfarm OFFLINE  

chuckerfarm
  • Member No: 47820
  • 27 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted October 23, 2013 - 02:54 PM

I know that at least in high range that it's geared a bit higher than the HT20D. It's top speed is 13.8 MPH while the 23 and 20D top out at 10 Mph. I can't find anything in the Service Manual or Owners Manual that address the top speed in low range.

Then if high is too fast, I guess I could drag a non-running Deere and it's plow to help slow down a bit :D :D :D

you would have to catch a deere plowing first. Dont think you be catching a john deere 430! Im a cub guy but those 430 have serious power. But have fun!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

#12 fxrs55 OFFLINE  

fxrs55
  • Member No: 10152
  • 337 Thanks
  • 239 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 04:00 AM

I know that at least in high range that it's geared a bit higher than the HT20D.  It's top speed is 13.8 MPH while the 23 and 20D top out at 10 Mph.  I can't find anything in the Service Manual or Owners Manual that address the top speed in low range.

Then if high is too fast, I guess I could drag a non-running Deere and it's plow to help slow down a bit  :D :D :D

I like all brands of tractors and I think each brand has some nice features and appearances.

but I don't care who you are that's funny right there.

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 04:17 AM

I have 2 speeds in my hydro Fords and almost always pull in hi , the wheels spin WAY too easily in low . And if your hydro gets hot its worn because your not varying the motor , but stroking the pump, so it only uses what it needs. This is why a lot of them didn't have 2 speeds. And in most cases it works just fine, only real need for low would be wicked load pulling, and roto-tilling.

We pulled all year with the LGT125 hydro and it placed almost always in the top 4(won twice) and never even got warm !  And it will pull right to a stall just like a standard.

You can try it in low, if your speed is too slow, or your spinning too much go to hi range .

#14 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 07:11 AM

I like all brands of tractors and I think each brand has some nice features and appearances.

but I don't care who you are that's funny right there.

Well, at least to those that don't drink mass quantities of "The Green Kool-Aid"  :D :D :D

Edited by OldBuzzard, October 24, 2013 - 07:18 AM.