14 replies to this topic

#1 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:52 AM

In the process of finishing up the rebuild on my MF8 this morning, after bolting the hood back on the air cleaner on the chinese clone engine (predator) wont let the hood close all the way. I have this engine in until I have more time to get a tecumseh I have on my shelf running and will put back in the tractor. I dont want to cut the hood so it will close, has anyone made or purchased an aftermarket air filter that takes up less room than the bulky plastic box that comes with these engines? Here are some pictures; with the filter on the engine 100_1854.jpg and with the filter off 100_1853.jpg .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:04 AM

What's in the box? I would almost bet you could cut the box up and reshape it with a little plastic welding. Or if that is all just air space and it wouldn't obstruct anything, maybe heat with a high temp heat gun and reform it in?

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:05 AM

That is going to be a tough one to get around. The angle of the carb. puts the filter in a bad spot. I hope someone here can help you out as that is a nice looking tractor. 

#4 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:15 AM

The box has the tube for the air to go through with a square foam piece at the top for the filter. I have been looking at some go cart forums there are some adapters to put a round filter on like the picture. I was hoping to find a type of adapter to bolt on to come up the side like the big farm tractors have.  AIRKIT2_store_tn.jpg

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:16 AM

Since it's supposed to be a temporary engine, how about just leaving off the cover and leaving the air filter and lower portion in place?
Mike

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Sounds like a fab job. Maybe even out of PVC painted black so you could make a big tractor looking filter but with just foam inside and scaled down.

#7 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:49 AM

Since it's supposed to be a temporary engine, how about just leaving off the cover and leaving the air filter and lower portion in place?
Mike

The cover holds the foam air filter piece. The more I look at it the more it looks like it is going to be a custom fab project and time to go to town to find some round tubing.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 10:53 AM

How does the air filter on the clone bolt up?  What about an air cleaner from another engine?  Maybe a lower profile one off that could be modified to fit.

#9 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:15 PM

It sounds like you answered your own question. Now answer mine. How did you get the predater gas tank to just line up with the notch in the hood?

#10 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:56 AM

How does the air filter on the clone bolt up?  What about an air cleaner from another engine?  Maybe a lower profile one off that could be modified to fit.

Air filter bolts to the carb, the carb comes off the block at a 45 degree angle. I looked at air filter from a tecumseh but it wouldnt clear the grill do to the angle.

It sounds like you answered your own question. Now answer mine. How did you get the predater gas tank to just line up with the notch in the hood?

Just lucky, when I went to bolt the predator engine to the engine plate the holes front to back were the correct distance but the width was too narrow (i think going by memory from last year). I drilled 2 more holes in the engine plate to bolt the engine to and after bolting the plate to the frame it just lined up.

After looking around yesterday on what or how to fab up and adapter to the carb for a filter I decided to buy a kit similar to the one above for now. I have an tecumseh engine out of a MF7 my son gave me. I pulled the head off to inspect it, other than carbon build up it looks good. I changed out the oil and turned it over with the starter and it has spark. Going to pull the carb off and clean it and see if I can get this engine running to go into the tractor. I have an 8hp tecumseh to go in it just need to get it running.

#11 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:03 AM

I hope you realize with the amount of hop up parts available for the predator engines this minor air cleaner mod could be the start of a rather powerful project. :thumbs:  

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 11:22 AM

You can make those little adapters pretty easy. 

www.ombwarehouse.com

They have a ton of parts.  My other hobby is minibikes.  The predator clone can put out some pretty crazy horsepower numbers from a small engine.  I've seen dyno charts of them topping 20HP.  Spinning crazy amounts of RPM 9K+.

I have a predator 6.5 with a head, cam, carb rejet, filter, billet rod, flat top piston, thinner head gasket, billet fly wheel, that will just flat out scream down the road.  Never had it dynoed but its putting out at least 15hp.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#13 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:17 PM

It sounds as if it would be pretty durable in it's stock form.

#14 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Update, the filter showed up Thursday and I took time last night to bolt it up. Here is what it looks like 100_1855.jpg 100_1856.jpg . Only issue was I had to loosen up the bolt the grill mounts with and slide the grill forward and then once the filter was bolted down move the grill back so the hood is straight. I am thinking in future finding an elbow and tubing and bring the filter up the side of the engine.

Just waiting for the decals to show up that I ordered last week. Then it will be time to bring in the JD lawn cart for restore/repaint.

• MH81, Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 11:13 AM

I agree it would look better going up but hey it works so your in business!  Nice fix.