Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:50 AM

At my son's house this week I took the DB w/ sickle bar to try cutting stickers and brush that was creeping into the mowing areas.  It work ok but because it's cutting path is centered on the tractor you couldn,t too close to the edge of the pond and the sticker hurt lol . I remembered see someone here had a walk behind that was offset .  It took a while to find the old sickle bar I saved . http://gardentractor...-the-garage/   

figured it was so rusty and worn ,had a broken rock guard I would try offsetting it and there wouldn't be any changes other then switching back to the good bar .I used the good bar as a template drilling the mounting holes . then ground the rivets on the little bracket that drives the teeth bar and the rivets where it was going to be relocated . Some of the rivets came out with the air chisel but only 2 where the bracket was going .2 was enough to keep it located while I used the mig welder  to cheat and form the rivet heads . One hole had to be counter sunk so the die grinder worked good for that . .Came out pretty good still need to get some new plow bolts and  free up the wheel hub so it can be moved inward  for a little more offset .Did a quick test run last night and don't see any problems .

Attached Thumbnails

• P6010588.JPG
  • P6010589.JPG
  • P6010590.JPG
  • P6010592.JPG
  • P6010593.JPG
  • P6010595.JPG

• Gtractor, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:55 AM

Al, that looks nice. Handy too.

One thing, with that offset, will there be any problems if you hit something solid? I am wondering about a tall grass deflecter (outward) and a support rod behind that going back to the frame to strengthen the offset.
  • Alc said thank you

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:06 AM

That's a good idea! I'm sure you'll figure out soon if there issues with doing this. Wonder if you could put 2 bars together to make one wide swath?

• Alc said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:16 AM

One thing, with that offset, will there be any problems if you hit something solid? I am wondering about a tall grass deflecter (outward) and a support rod behind that going back to the frame to strengthen the offset.

I was wondering too  if it was going to need any extra support guess I'll have to try it on those stickers , hope I don't hit anything cuse I'm sure something bad will happen lol

Kenny , it might be easier to adapt a longer bar from something else say cutting to 4' or so .The ideal  thing would one of 4 wheel tractor sickle bars but they cost too much $$$ then he could cut closer to the pond maybe the whole way to the edge

• KennyP said thank you