10 replies to this topic

#1 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • Member No: 47743
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hello Everyone,

We acquired a 1977 Massey 1655 a few months ago and have set about putting her back in reasonable condition. While the tractor has many deficiencies, over-all things are not that bad. Everything that we will be using functions well. Mostly want to use the rig to plow and "disk" our Veg. garden, and, during the winter, snowblow. All the equipment needed to accomplish these tasks is ready or near so.

We are the third owner of the tractor; the guy we purchased from had it for 15 years and knew little of the previous owners habits regarding maintaining the machine. In that 15 years the second owners had never changed the trans/Hyd fluid or filter. Though the transmission works flawlessly I reason that the oil is certainly due for "recycling". I was happy (and appreciative !) to have located the proper owners manual from a very helpful member of this site. However, the trans oil indicated in this manual is not available.

Can anyone out "there" advise me on what type/brand of transmission fluid and filter to use.

Kind Regards to All

• JRJ said thank you

#2 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:40 AM

I just did a quick search and came up with this for you.

http://gardentractor...oil/#entry20953

On my 1450 and 1650 I use Dexron III. I'm not 100% sure if you have the

same tranny.

• HDWildBill and Avalontractor have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 06:08 AM

What Hydro is in these? Eaton or Sundstrand?

• Avalontractor said thank you

#4 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 01:11 PM

I just did a quick search and came up with this for you.

http://gardentractor...oil/#entry20953

On my 1450 and 1650 I use Dexron III. I'm not 100% sure if you have the

same tranny.

Wow, thanks Will.

Very kind of you to forward this additional information. 

Even though I have experience with a variety of power equipment and almost always perform service myself I have no knowledge of hydraulic systems at all. Not long after we dragged the 1655 home I installed the included three point hitch and bottom plough. The previous owner had never once even hooked them-up, same for the double, 16 disk harrow. They had used the Massey to mow a considerable lawn and for nothing else. This fact told me that the hydraulic "circuit" controlling the 3-point might be "suspect". Turns out I was right. The first time I actuated the lever a connecting elbow failed. I noticed that the resulting stream was not only very hot, but, looked to me to be a rather low viscosity oil. My assumption previous to being introduced to the wonders of hydraulic function, was that the fluid would be a heavy oil. The pink shade I saw surprised me and I thought it looked like transmission fluid. Your research seems to confirm this.

We will do a little more investigation and confirm that the tranny is a Sundstrand before draining and re-filling with Dextron III and also seek a suitable new filter. This old machine is in rough shape but she functions very well. I hate to see quality equipment poorly maintained and this tractor shows quality throughout.

Thank You very much

Tom 

• IamSherwood and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 01:36 PM

What Hydro is in these? Eaton or Sundstrand?

Hey Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. I can't see any identifying marks to tell if it is an Eaton vs Sundstrand, but, all the research points to it being the latter. This includes the manual I down-loaded from this site.

Very anxious to get the old oil drained and the filter renewed. The transmission seems to function like new but realistically; it has probably never been changed since the machine left the factory. We're pushing our luck no doubt.

We also have a 1977 Troy "Horse" tiller. It's manual states that the gearbox oil never requires replacement. Well, I took the plug out this summer and what drained out looked like vomit. Spent a full day flushing the tranny with cleaner and compressed air. The thick "phlem" that washed down to the base wasn't doing the gears any good. Filled it with cheap fluid and ran it for an hour before draining that and refilling with a quality gear oil. That machine runs as if new now.

Thanks again.

Tom

• IamSherwood and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 01:38 PM

If the hydro unit is round & has radial finning, then it's an Eaton.  Squarish with NO finning, then it's a Sundstrand.

• IamSherwood, Avalontractor and alley oop have said thanks

#7 Avalontractor OFFLINE  

Avalontractor
  • 24 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 05:47 PM

If the hydro unit is round & has radial finning, then it's an Eaton.  Squarish with NO finning, then it's a Sundstrand.

Hey Ol' cowhand,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Made it a point today to have a boo under the seat of the tractor. Sure looks to me like the pump is "squarish" and there is a definite lack of fins around the housing. I think Dextron III is the answer to my question. Gonna drain and replace soon.

Do you know if the filter is unique or can I simply screw on a generic unit.

Thanks once more.

Tom

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Any new filter that will spin on & seal is better than nothing, but you can read about the filters we use in the USA HERE.  Better to find one of these, or a cross with what you have up there.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Actually the "tranny" is a Peerless, probably 2600 series, maybe the 2500, I would have to research. The pump is most likely a Sunstrand, Massey 1655/1855 used the Sunstrands, most  Snapper 1655/1855 used the Eaton pump.

On a side note, hope you didn't put in a newer gear oil that is rated at G5, you really need a gear oil that has the old G1 rating. All the new oils have additives that will eat up the bronze bushings inside the Troybilt tranny. My local Tractor supply has a gear oil that is specifically made for the older farm tractors that need the G1 rating fluid.

• IamSherwood, Avalontractor and alley oop have said thanks

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:07 PM

It is a 2500 series Peerless in the Massey.  The 2600 series Peerless is what's in my John Deere 430.

• ducky said thank you

#11 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 10:10 PM

On a side note, hope you didn't put in a newer gear oil that is rated at G5, you really need a gear oil that has the old G1 rating. All the new oils have additives that will eat up the bronze bushings inside the Troybilt tranny. My local Tractor supply has a gear oil that is specifically made for the older farm tractors that need the G1 rating fluid.

For the record, GL-4 is also yellow metal safe and is still a current spec.  GL-1 is long obsolete and technically was just straight oil with no EP wear additives.  I'm not familiar with the Tractor Supply stuff as I couldn't find it on their website but it's probably fine for something with minimal loading and low speeds like a garden tractor.

• Avalontractor and alley oop have said thanks