• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:12 PM

OK, after a little editing, we seem to be back on track. Please keep comments fair. Remember, if you can't say something nice...at least don't say anything mean.

TAHOE, sorry to pull your thread, it's back now.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#32 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Well thanks guys. Just going to leave this lay for weekend and forget about it, need a stress break from it. I still want my wife's boss the Judge to give me any advice either/or.

Man, what  a stressful day, dealing with this idiot this morning, then come home go out to feed chickens, found a small pile of feathers.

My guinea hen is now missing, no evidence other than feathers. Come in house, wife is depressed due to stressful day too. Then go out to back garage to  check on my electrolysis I am trying to do, stupid Boxer pup chewed lid of my brand new tub and chewed my battery charger wires in half :wallbanging:  On one hand good thing I unplugged it, other hand I wished her butt would've gotten shocked!!

I rarely drink , if at all, but wife buys bottle of Witches Brew every fall, warmed me a cup, showering and vegging rest of night. :thumbs:

• MH81, hamman, WHdbJD and 3 others have said thanks

#33 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:15 PM

If the seller is anywhere near me here in NH, let me know and I'll be your local.. "representative".   :smilewink:

• hamman said thank you

#34 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have bought and sold much on ebay and craigslist, and yes, there are a few no goods out there.  but the good ones you choose to deal with FAR outweigh the bad ones.  just remember the golden rule of buying parts...if it is just what you need  want and it looks like too good of a deal, the it probably is.  ...if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck!

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#35 AverageJoe OFFLINE  

AverageJoe

• Contributor
  • Member No: 365
  • 104 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Sorry to hear about this.  I guess I have been fortunate to buy from a lot of total strangers I've met on forums and done well.  There are a few "regulars" I won't deal with, but you can sort of figure them out pretty easily.

I've been caught a couple of times when I've had something packed at a pack and ship place.  I've eaten the price as I won't waste my time digging through dumpsters for suitable boxes.  $30 isn't a huge packing fee in the grand scheme of things.  I watched the guy pack the last thing I shipped, and he did a much more through job than I would have.

I do agree the handling, or packing fee should have been advertised.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#36 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Having had a bit of experience with jerks who "delay" payment for articles shipped, a letter sent on paper with a nice, legal letterhead, like from a judges' office, lol, generally gets results. Nice handy job your wife has, by the way. Things could work out quite well with a bit of bluffing.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and TAHOE have said thanks

#37 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:18 PM

Tahoe,

Perspective my friend....perspective. You're wise to get some distance from this topic for a while. My dad is famous for his illustration of having me close one eye, hold a penny close to my other eye and asking "What you can see?.....NOTHING but the penny of course. He then continues by telling me to pull the penny further and further away from my open eye and once the penny is at it's furthest point from my open eye he asks the question again. This time my answer is always, "EVERYTHING."

I've done my time in the trenches where pride and principle were my guiding forces. 99% of the time I was right and on the "correct" side of the legal battles but had it not been for my mom and dad and a few close friends I would have lost it all....all for the sake of principle. Without the intent of getting preachy (although I am the son of a pastor) Proverbs 16:18 says "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall."

I'm not a lawyer but I know a fair enough about human behavior. Given that you're working in many shades of grey on this matter and there does not appear to be blatant wrong doing on either side of the matter, as some have previously stated, I might pause a real long time before "outing" the seller in a public forum. I have no problem "outing" a company or a corporation in a public forum but am hesitant to do so when it involves an individual. Whereas I'm confident you would wish the seller no harm....not everyone is as honorable and trustworthy and many are looking for an excuse to vent their own frustration by way of another person's "cause".

If in the end this situation has taught you a lesson then I'd say you've invested wisely. A good education doesn't come cheep these days but the lessons you learn last forever. We have members of all ages on this site....some more and some less impressionable. I say it's a heck of a good investment if we are able to teach the more impressionable ones amongst us how to navigate the world of conflict with grace and mercy.

So, since I've been in your shoes and have been blessed with people who weren't afraid to challenge me AND support me I put my money where my mouth is. I've got $10 ready in an envelop to mail out tomorrow to go towards a swift and peaceful resolution to your very bad day. PM me with your address and I will forward on my gift.

Matthew

Edited by Moosetales, October 18, 2013 - 10:44 PM.

• olcowhand, drbish, Username and 10 others have said thanks

#38 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,318 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 03:19 AM

I'll PM ya my address for $20!!! :D

• HDWildBill, Moosetales and twostep have said thanks

#39 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:40 AM

Just to add I sold a transmission

Looked up shipping thought I had everything set.  Boxed it up and went down to Ace Hardware to send it out.  Seems my scale and theirs don't weigh the same, also Ace charges a fee on top for their time and for packageing even though all they did was put some extra tape on it.   Bottom line I just sent it out and ate the extra charges came to $23 more than quoted.

Oh well at least the kid got to pull his WH

• HDWildBill, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#40 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Well said Moosetales and a very nice offer on top of it! Even though I only partially agree with your stance on whether or not to "out" someone in public I couldn't agree more with your statements about lessons learned and leading by example to teach others so thank you.
  • HDWildBill, Moosetales and oldedeeres have said thanks

#41 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:24 AM

Well said Moosetales, I agree with you.  I also have been there and as much as I wanted to "out" the guy. It also tore apart my credibility also, in the end it wasn't worth it.

• HDWildBill, Moosetales and oldedeeres have said thanks

#42 mowerbeast OFFLINE  

mowerbeast
  • Member No: 29683
  • 32 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 10:14 AM

That's why I don't send money to buy stuff or ship stuff to sell it, if I can't see it in person or have the other person pick it up, then no deal.

It's sad that you can't trust anyone any more. I wont even use ebay because I'm paranoid I'm going to get scammed somehow. Hope everything works out for you.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#43 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Thanks Moose for the offer, but it's not necessary. Very rarely do I get my self in this situation, but the parts I need never show up on ebay and this guy just happen to have them. I went around and around with him about an estimated shipping but he repeated said after I sent payment, he would pull them and get me charges. I originally contacted him in June about these parts and took me that long to finally pull trigger as I was so uneasy about his methods. Obviously my intuition was correct.

Oh well. I will not necessarily "out" the guy, but will tell people my side of the story and just give people word of warning before they would deal with him. I'm not in it to hurt his credibility or parts selling, but just warn others.

I guess I should have taken Michael Brady's advice he gave to Greg when he bought his first car..."caveat emptor"

Oh, David..... parts for my Sears/DB 725 :D

• Moosetales and oldedeeres have said thanks

#44 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:45 PM

You can say "out the guy" or you can say "seller feedback on a public forum". Honestly, I would like to know two things, first what kind of parts (just so I can keep my eye out for such a prized item). Second, who the seller is so that I don't get my money caught up in the mix with him.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#45 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 09:33 PM

UPDATE.

After some thought and council from my wife and you all, well, mainly the wife, :smilewink: I went ahead and sent a personal check to him for the parts. Wife said it would be an expensive learning experience :wallbanging:
So I mailed check on Oct 29, it cleared my bank on Nov 7. Wait for it, wait for it.... yep no parts.
So this morning, I pulled up the invoice he sent me with shipping store phone number. I call, lady answers and I tell her what package I'm looking for. She says, oh yeah, it's sitting here.....since Oct 18. I told her yea, had some payment issues, but guy had my money for last two weeks. She took my email address, said she would call him and email with tracking number. After I got off phone, I sent him a not so nice threatening email stating I can easily call his local police and file thefts charge since I have all paperwork including signed copy of cancelled check.
What do you know, I get email later in day with a Fed Ex tracking number.
Hopefully my '64 Sears 725 parts get here safely.

So, I know I've seen a couple guys on here say this guy is okay, but I think he is a tool.
His name is Ethan and goes by Elwoodsvintage online and ElwoodsvintageL&G on MTF. I would recommend staying away from buying from him. There will be a bad feedback thread over there once I get my parts to let people know how he works. No use for his poor business ethics.
  • olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks