• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:01 PM

​My opinion of some of the members on MTF is that they have money to burn if you know what I mean, I observed this right after I check that site out, A lot of the members have the more expensive tractors and I guess they think everyone can afford the same, to me that is not the hobby.

Good luck on your outcome.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, October 18, 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#17 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Just out of curiosity what parts did you buy?

#18 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Bummer.  They say buyer beware, and I hold myself to that.  I think you do to, and I understand you being frustrated.  I get it, if the parts are rare...you rolled the dice!  I do it all the time.  

I've had mostly pleasant experiences, even when I gamble.  I also try to be extremely open, honest and fair when I sell something.  I don't take a cent until the whole cost is communicated.  If shipping/packaging exceeds that amount, I eat it.  I've only had a handful of distastful experiences, but I don't let it bum me out for long.  I may gripe to myself out in the shop, maybe have an extra beer or three, and then it's back to it.  The hobby is for enjoyment, and 99% of the time, I enjoy meeting fellow collectors through such transactions.  And so, I take the bad with the good, and keep betting that my next interaction will be better than the rest. (and quite often, it is)

Sticking to a 'glass half full' approach, this stranger you're dealing with did take the fast offer from you, AND is open to having the items packed and shipped to you.  He didn't quote you on shipping because he didn't know yet what it was.  He's probably thinking rather ill of you, too.  I'll bet 2 out of every 5 folks I contact, are not interested in even going that far to help me out.

• Ranchkingron and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:50 PM

This is a seller who does it as a side business.  He had to know real close what shipping would be.  That' the rub for Tahoe.

• oldedeeres, TAHOE, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#20 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:52 PM

More importantly-  Who was the seller!!??  I'd 'OUT' the basturd for his outragus swindling he's giving you..  Post up a thread and make noise and let him and everyone else know about it!!  (It wouldn't hurt to let it be known here too!)  Folks need to be warned about cheat's like that..  I NEVER send a money order for ANYTHING except official government business!  Too many ways for your butt to get burned!   :wallbanging:  :mad2:  :mad2:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#21 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:55 PM

I would out the guy in an instant. All over the net. Put him out of business.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Did he tell you he would be using a pack and ship place before hand or did you find out when you got the shipping bill?

#23 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:18 PM

Tractors ones  :D

I'm sorry, I know I posted thread, but I think due to possiable legal ramafictions, I need to keep important details on the hush /hush, don't want to jepoardize my side of it.  I will post his screen name, real name and location once I get it done with.

I would've done paypal, but he wanted 3% on top of price and mine has no money in it anyway lol.

He wouldn't accept personal check.

he said he was shocked by the price of packaging too cause it took the girl "several hours" to package. Seriously, 50% of my daily job is boxing up packages,....several hours for a few parts?

Bairlea.... he stated he would take it to the shipping place and have her box it up and she will get a price. He repeated stated he would get me shipping quote once parts were removed.....not once anywhere did he ever mention any costs for packaging.

I know he could have a stance on that statement of "having her box it up and give a price", but that is very vague regarding extra charges.

"shipping charges" is just that, cost to ship the package.

#24 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:36 PM

There isn't any legality involved here. As much as I hate to say it this is joe blow against Joe blow. I've been in this mess before and got burned. There was no contract and you didn't go through any auction sites. Tell him to split the packaging cost with you and let this be a lesson. I don't think he's done anything wrong other than sloppy businesses practice.

Lick your wounds and settle this so you can tell me what you bought :-)

On a side note - I refuse to pay a seller the extra fees. Cash in hand or paypal for online deals. Seller covers fees that's how every business in the world does.
  • oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#25 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:37 PM

Shipping charges include anything having to do with shipping a package. Postal rates are the actuall cost to ship.

#26 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:39 PM

Annnnddd I hope the last 2 post don't make you mad. I'm looking at it with a neither party invested view.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:42 PM

I got  burned years ago for over $125, and that seller is now a member here, but I've never said a word.  Back then we exchanged heated words,  but I decided it wasn't worth the anger I was building up inside.  So I ate it & decided NEVER again would I buy from a stranger on his word.  The box of worthless worn out Massey pulleys & belts is still on my shelf as a reminder.

• WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres, TAHOE and 2 others have said thanks

#28 BairleaFarm ONLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:46 PM

I think we've all been screwed over by trusting people. I got nailed out of a few hundred dollars on that Sears bolens trade I did last year.

#29 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 02:08 PM

Very frustrating. I know how you feel since I am currently in a similar situation... I just wish mine was only going to cost me $30. You make a deal and expect to get what you agreed upon.

Daniel is right though, sometimes it's better to just take your lashings, put it out of your mind and try to find peace in the fact that you learned a lesson.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#30 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 03:30 PM

The whole thing just reeks of a textbook internet SCAM to me..  Money orders, extra charges and more $$ for this and that and you still don't get the thing you paid dearly for..  Albeit, not knowing who I'm talking $^^^TT about and the communications between you two it just peeved me to see you get raked over the coals (what it appeared to be to me..)..  So yeah..  I got a bit worked up but you know where I'm coming from pal..  (**My nephew got screwed over with the Money order scam and since it was international he was up the creek big time..  ~ $4 K or so)  The thing about money orders is that there is no real way to prove the seller even got the $$$..  Good Luck and tell him you'll split the packaging as Bairlea Farm suggests as it is a surprise cost you hadn't counted on or even heard about until after the deal between you was agreed upon..   :(   If he agrees to that at least he's a stand-up guy and admits he was wrong somewhat and we don't need to drag him in the mud behind an articulated double-quad tired tractor while spinning the tires like crazy!! :smilewink: