#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:51 AM

So I buy some parts from a guy on MTF, we agree on parts price. I ask a couple times for shipping quote, he tells me he take hten sto shipping palce to get boxed up then get quote for me. So now he comes back with a high shipping price and another $30 on top for packaging. Now he will not reduce price and says sale is final and won't refund my money. Not once did he ever state anytihng about packaging costs or that I would have to pay extra for that.

I told him I would pay for shipping but not packaging and if he doesn't want to deal or give me a refund, then I will file mail fraud suit since I mailed money through US postal.

UUUUGGGHHHH!!!!! So ticked right now :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:  :mad2:

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:59 AM

That sucks. hopefully he will see the light, avoid any trouble with USPS and just send you your parts.

#3 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:04 AM

That stinks!  I have to say that I'm surprised about that.  but nowadays I guess I shouldn't be.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Stop check. This.is why I use paypal. Dont worry im.not going to charge you packaging when I ship your tecumseh stuff

#5 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:20 AM

$30 for packaging. What's he shipping,an engine? Hope it works out for you.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:22 AM

That's rediculous the packaging is going in his pocket. I sell all the time on ebay. There are several ways to calculate shipping without going to the post office. The mistake you made was not knowing the shipping cost before you paid him. I was on the Federal Grand Jury for eighteen months & mail fraud is serious. I would cancel your check if possible & like mentioned threaten him.

#7 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:29 AM

IVE A BETTER ONE THAN THAT. I WIN AUCTION ON EBAY FOR BIKE IN WI. I LIVE IN NJ SHIPPING 125.00 AUC PRICE 205.00 I SEND 330.OO SELLER CONTACS ME TELLS ME I HAVE TO PAY UPS TO BOX IT UP AS PART OF OUR AGREEMENT 60.00 OK I SAY SELLER THAN PACKS IT UP HER SELF AND KEEPS THE 60.00.  OH NO NO NO NO NO IM FROM NJ I  WILL KNOCK ON YOUR DOOR 60.00 OR 60 CENTS

• WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:38 AM

I doubt he will pocket the 30. Some of those shipping places charge alot to package. Best thing that happened to me...flat rate shipping.
  • Alc said thank you

#9 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Sounds like he took it to a pack and ship place, they charge to pkg and they usually charge at least published rate often even higher for their shipping.  Not sure where that leaves you unless you can get your money back thru post office??

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Hope it all works out for you. I have dealt with a lot of guys on MTF and have sold and bought some things. One I still haven't gotten money from. No big deal for that as it wasn't GT related item. I just wish that those who are in the same hobby as ours would live up to their word. I have to still pay for a part I received a few months ago, but the understanding was when I got the money and it wouldn't put me in a bind to pay it, paying then would be ok.

Sorry you had a problem and hope it gets straightened out soon. Most of those guys over there are good people. Roger.

• Ranchkingron and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Man, sorry to hear that Marty. I am pretty trusting with people too... Rarely, I get bit... But when I do, it should have stitches.

Hope it's quick and painless from here on. Good luck.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 11:40 AM

I would agree with several points....

1. I was stupid and paid for parts with out final cost. I asked repeatedly for it and he refused. Yep I know, big red flag.

These parts are kind of rare so I took the chance, now it's biting me in the butt.

2. I paid with a money order, can't stop cashing it  :wallbanging:

3. yep, he did the pack and ship place. He keeps giving me a phone number to call to "negotiate shipping". My wonderful

deputy clerk of courts wife did a reverse check on that phone number, it's to the pack/ship place, #'s is not even him!

4. He won't pocket an of the $30, as that's the charge from pack/ship place and i think they actually keep my parts until

I pay THEM!

I know, I was really stupid in sending money before hand. I even told him I needed an estimate shipping costs or I might not

be able to afford parts. He knew it up front. I also have email records stating he would get me "shipping costs", nothing ever

mentioned about any packaging cost or any aggreement on that issue.

I need to with hold his name for now in case this gets all legal, but I warned him, if it goes south.....everyone will know of his shady practices!  

I've shipped parts to people before and never got paid, but I think maybe $6-8 costs, I can stomach that. We are talking my $125 plus another $42 for shipping and $30 for packaging.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 11:44 AM

I get very angry over things like this.That is why I just avoid them. I have 1000s of new nos and used engine parts but it is not worth the hassel of selling them. I use them as I need them. Occasionally I'll send something to somebody that needs it. I only charge what USPS charges for shipping and a pic. I need parts but don't trust most sellers on EPAY. I'll stick with sponsors and locals.

You should let us know the outcome and who the culprit is. They seem to exercise the common sense of today rather than good sense. Good Luck, Rick

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 11:54 AM

I understand you are angry, but I'd just end up paying the cash for the packaging and going on with my life.

Certainly not worth getting your blood pressure up about.  There are many other things in life to get upset over. 

Take a deep breath, and relax. 

• oldedeeres and HANKG have said thanks

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for all comments.

I will let his name out once it gets settled, good or bad.

My wife's boss....the court judge is off today. I may just let it lie for the weekend not responding to him and let her review all my emails and documents and see what she says I can do legally if anything.

Funny, he told me in last email all sales are final, but yet nowhere before or in any of his for sale threads does he state that or any packagin charges.

toomany, I somewhat agree, but for the arrogant emails I'm getting from him, it's principal now for me! My wife is totally PO's too, she has a nice legal letter already written ready to email him haha, she cracks me up. nice to have some legal knowledge in the family.

Sucks though, she is PO'd at me too for sending the money in the first place....I lost some man card points with her on this one!

• Delmar, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks