• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:53 AM

I always felt safe leaving my gas cans outside of my shed. because it's at the end of our driveway, 130 feet from the road. The side of our house faces the road, so the driveway runs right past our front windows and up beside the house. The shed is situated a little beyond the part that turns up to the back door.Silly me.

The other day I was on my pc just around suppertime and saw a gray/silver SUV come down the driveway.  By the time I got to the back door and went out there was a young guy backing up to go back out to the street.  He stopped and got out of the SUV and asked if I was the stone cutter that he called.   He was walking toward me. I said no I wasn't. He was polite and apologized,jumped back in the SUV and took off. For some reason I memorized the license plate.and wrote it down when I went in the house.

Next day I went to get the lawn tractor out to mow and saw that the brand new 5 gallon gas can I had bought the day before and filled was gone.  I called the police and told the officer what had happened and gave her the plate number.  She callled back within minutes and said  that that vehicle belonged to a woman on the other side of town.  I haven't heard anymore.

At least it got me to put things in the away now.  I'll spend time the next few days trying to organize the shed better.  We've had others drive in like that, but they' back out as soon as they saw our car.   Takes a lot of cajonies to do what he did!

• hamman, IamSherwood, CRFarnsworth and 6 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,910 Thanks
  • 29,738 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:56 AM

I'm guilty as well, but have been lucky overall.
  • hamman said thank you

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 2,776 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:12 AM

I guess I've been lucky in that regard. I have left cans of gas sitting out for days with no problem. I keep a can of gas in the back of my hunting truck all the time. Only once have I lost a can and gas. I still try to make sure I put my cans away. I have been thinking of making a box with a lock to keep my cans in outside so I don't have to keep them in the garage. Living in a rural area and the economy being the way it is I guess I have been real lucky. I would rather a person stop and ask me if they could borrow or have some gas rather than just have them steal it and the can. Roger.

• twostep, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,510 Thanks
  • 2,424 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:24 AM

We've not had any problems but we do have some questionable characters in the neighborhood who ride quads and bikes all day, everyday of the year.  I figure, with that kind of consumption, I better lock them up.  Now they leave everybody alone and just ride on the adjoining railroad property (not supposed to be but, hey, whatever, they're not hurting anybody).  If they start causing problems, I'll just leave my diesel can out where they can see it.  You see, for the past 30 plus years we've kept diesel in a can clearly marked "gasoline".  Just something we started and never got away from.  My gas cans are not marked for anything so it's easy to keep straight.  Oh wait, my one gas can is marked "kerosene".  Yeah, don't take any gas from here.  I cannot be held liable for what you actually get.  Reminds me of a guy around here when I was younger who wanted to protect his car from being stolen.  It was a standard shift (you remember those, right?) and I don't know how he did it but he made the shift pattern backwards.  I'll bet that was a trip to drive.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,467 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:46 AM

I always felt safe leaving my gas cans outside of my shed. because it's at the end of our driveway, 130 feet from the road. The side of our house faces the road, so the driveway runs right past our front windows and up beside the house. The shed is situated a little beyond the part that turns up to the back door.Silly me.

The other day I was on my pc just around suppertime and saw a gray/silver SUV come down the driveway.  By the time I got to the back door and went out there was a young guy backing up to go back out to the street.  He stopped and got out of the SUV and asked if I was the stone cutter that he called.   He was walking toward me. I said no I wasn't. He was polite and apologized,jumped back in the SUV and took off. For some reason I memorized the license plate.and wrote it down when I went in the house.

Next day I went to get the lawn tractor out to mow and saw that the brand new 5 gallon gas can I had bought the day before and filled was gone.  I called the police and told the officer what had happened and gave her the plate number.  She callled back within minutes and said  that that vehicle belonged to a woman on the other side of town.  I haven't heard anymore.

At least it got me to put things in the away now.  I'll spend time the next few days trying to organize the shed better.  We've had others drive in like that, but they' back out as soon as they saw our car.   Takes a lot of cajonies to do what he did!

Its a lack of fear of punishment. We need to bring back punishment(stoning, lashings, hangings and drawing and quartering) and forget about rehabilitation. Then crime would go down. The lawyers who: write, interpret, and profit from the laws would not like to reduce crime. They live too well off of it. Good Luck, Rick

• IamSherwood, Titus, David Brown and 3 others have said thanks

#6 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,050 Thanks
  • 1,891 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:22 AM

For years prior to building my shop, I had several "things" sitting out.  Now I don't dare leave anything small or easy to take. We have too many "opportunists" in todays society that feel entitled to help themselves.   When my mower was stolen one of the things I heard was "well you've got insurance  you aren't out anything".   Rational thinking if you are the one the one doing the taking.

I took today off work. One of the things I'll be doing is reorganizing the shop to make sure everything is in for the winter and under lock and key.  I'll put a cramp on my project space when my utility tractor comes inside. But at least I'll keep the battery, gas and easy pickings still on it.      Rick 

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,596 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:25 AM

I haven't had any problem but I'm deep off the beaten path and keep everything inside. My father lives in a rural area and kept his RV covered and parked in the back yard during the winters. He would fill the tank in the fall, treat the gas and park it. The last year he had it someone syphoned about 40 gallons out of it at some point during the winter. He never found out who did it but had his suspicions.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,971 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:38 AM

I learned my lesson the same why you did OldTimer.  It's been a few years but I keep everything locked up unless I don't care if it did get stolen.  I had this old sears push mower with a Tecumseh engine that was one of those items that were just a PITA.  Every time I turned around there was something wrong with it.  I left  it out for over 2 weeks hoping someone would take it. Nah!  it went to the junk yard.

• IamSherwood, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,900 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:49 AM

if you got things lock up they will still try to get it

we have a group of professional thieves going around. they know when you are gone and they get want them want.

Guns, jewelry, tools, etc.  

they are doing this in the day time

they broke into one of the local deputy sheriff's home and got his guns and other things

they like house with attached garages, they can open the garage door in seconds.

they hook the garage door safety cable and open the door.

I removed the cable from both of my garage doors. 

#10 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,313 Thanks
  • 3,239 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 10:37 AM

I agree with Rick. Suffering the consequences are unheard of anymore. I read where prisoners actually get rewarded & respected from their peers on the street for the crimes they do. We all know the judicial system is a joke. I think we need the chain gangs back.
  • IamSherwood, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,027 Thanks
  • 5,511 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 12:00 PM

if you got things lock up they will still try to get it

we have a group of professional thieves going around. they know when you are gone and they get want them want.

Guns, jewelry, tools, etc.  

they are doing this in the day time

they broke into one of the local deputy sheriff's home and got his guns and other things

they like house with attached garages, they can open the garage door in seconds.

they hook the garage door safety cable and open the door.

I removed the cable from both of my garage doors. 

Mine would be even easier than that.  Its a wood panel door, a couple swift kicks and you would be able to crawl through the panel you locked out.

I'm bad about not locking up.  I leave my truck outside with the keys in it, I use the 4 wheeler to haul some wood from the field into the basement, I leave it outside with the keys in it for a few hours at a time.  I'll leave without locking up the house....

It's sad when people steal.  At least you are only out a gas can and some gas instead of something serious.

#12 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Mine would be even easier than that.  Its a wood panel door, a couple swift kicks and you would be able to crawl through the panel you locked out.

I'm bad about not locking up.  I leave my truck outside with the keys in it, I use the 4 wheeler to haul some wood from the field into the basement, I leave it outside with the keys in it for a few hours at a time.  I'll leave without locking up the house....

It's sad when people steal.  At least you are only out a gas can and some gas instead of something serious.

Yeah, the serious stuff stopped when I retired and was home all the time.  We were robbed 7 times in 35 years.  Cleaned out each time.  

#13 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,971 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 04:47 PM

When we had some stuff stolen years ago, the deputy said to get a big dog.  We have always had a dog but my wife had just given away our lab so all we had was small dogs at the time.  We go a Shepard right after that and we have had a big dog since and actually have 3 big ones and 1 medium size.  Haven't had any problems of unwanted visitors since.  The deputy said that most of the time thieves just want to get in and out with the least amount of trouble.  A big dog ups the risk of a serious injury so most are not willing to take that risk.

#14 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 7,829 Thanks
  • 4,002 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:30 PM

I agree, Wildbill, do two Tibetan Mastiffs and a German Shepherd ring a bell? Saw a sign on a front gate one time, Forget About the Dog, Beware of Owner! Sad thing is, the only thing we have had stolen was meat from the freezer in the unlocked shop, and a live turkey the day before Thanksgiving several years before the big dogs arrived. Are our neighbours ( yes, we pretty much know who did it) that hungry and that stupid? Theft is another of those things that puts my fur up. The fellow who did it smokes, drinks, and drives a $60,000 fancy truck--- wonder where his money goes? Sorry, end of rant.
  • twostep said thank you

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,571 Thanks
  • 4,700 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:02 AM

Several years ago we were having some issues. We had just gotten a nice new garden bench to set in the front yard, I think it lasted two days before it disappeared. Another time we had our mailbox blown up, found some pieces across the road. The police said some kids were going around hitting a place every so often. Kind of hard to track them down, when they don't do it all the time.