Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Going To Swallow Hard, And Pull The Trigger.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,662 Thanks
  • 7,407 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Troy, no one will think anything less of you. Look on the bright side, you will have fewer, and simpler, maps to draw lol. I amassed a lot of stuff too, and feel the pressure of my collection. It does excite me, but then it frustrates me. A lot has changed in my lifestyle just this year and my motivations are much changed. I have started to want to sell some of my stuff, even throw some of the insignificant stuff away if need be. I can't afford (can but chose not to) to restore all of my stuff. Heck, most will hang around until it becomes a must sell because even if I don't use them, I like to look at them. But some of the beasts of burden, are leaving. But, I have to free up some time and space to buy something I really want, something I can enjoy just as much if not more.
  • bread320i, johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

--Crazy about GTTalk-- 'sort of'

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 10,981 Thanks
  • 8,389 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:21 AM

. I thought about just hiring an auction company to come in and just start selling everything off, but I feel ebay might be my better method, since it reaches a vast majority of the world.

Ebay is still only going to attract the people within pick up distance. An auction will get everything gone within a day or two. You will give a big chunk to the auctioneer, though. Also, your at the mercy of fate as far as the final auction price.  Your right that CL is a pain.

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:52 AM

I don't think an auction would bring you good value Troy. We've seen auction reports on here before and it always seems that over half of a collection ends up going cheap. A more gradual sale should yield a lot more $ in the end. My suggestion would be to take one of the tractors that you have targeted for sale, fix it up and sell it. See how that works out and how you feel about the $ received and the loss of the tractor.  At that point you will know how you feel about selling off the rest of it. It doesn't need to be all or nothing and it sounds like you have some time to adjust your strategy after testing the local market.

• bread320i, johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#19 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,696 Thanks
  • 3,318 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Troy, I'm a year older than you and have done this same thing at least 3 times , and only once have I regretted doing so.... My firearms collection :firejumper:  :wallbanging:  :(  But I did it . It also hurt to unload all my modeling stuff, as I was very big into R/C aircraft and racing R/C cars.. All this went after I had married... And now I have a great wife and 2 lovely children 3 1/2 and 10 months..... But it will all work out in the end so don't feel bad, but glad you had the chance to own all that stuff and chose not to keep it .

Carry on my friend ,you'll be just fine, and we will be here to help and support ,as you have done for so many of us!

• johndeereelfman, Delmar and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#20 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,784 Thanks
  • 8,078 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 01:10 PM

You have a tough decision. First, take the time to identify all considerations. Blairingly you have forgotten grandchildren. They will come along someday. Your job will be to give them wonderful memories. Your collections will help with that. Don't do what you will later regret. There are times for hobbies. The 60 year old electric trains come out for Christmas. January and February are for woodworking and metal working in the basement. Spring is for planting, summer for playing and fall for harvesting. GTs are for year round.

Never make a decision like this without waiting a month before acting. All kinds of influences can affect our mood and thinking. It may swing back and then you will have regrets. I plan to get rid of most of my LTs and a few of my GTs but none of the favored ones. I've been thinking this for 6 months but haven't acted yet. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 18, 2013 - 01:12 PM.

• IamSherwood, johndeereelfman and Delmar have said thanks

#21 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,933 Thanks
  • 2,514 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 02:42 PM

I can't imagine having more tractors than I can actually use. It takes all kinds but I just don't feel right if I have something for the sole purpose of me being able to say that I own it. I want it to have a use. Of course heirlooms are different of course.

...Blairingly you have forgotten grandchildren. They will come along someday. Your job will be to give them wonderful memories....

Wow, great point. Troy you mentioned the ones that your dad passed onto you all but what will YOU pass on?

Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,883 Thanks
  • 29,265 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:05 PM

You will want to also decide if you are willing to package to ship or not. You might look into the Fastenal thing as several members use them with good results. It would also possibly require you to pallet your wares... Got any pallets? :D

#23 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,576 Thanks
  • 2,562 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:26 PM

We have all the pallets I could ever want at work, so that won't be a problem Alan. Now strapping a tractor to it safely and shipping it off, could be another thing. 

Today I showed Caleb (jdelfjunior) this post. He doesn't know of any of this, so I just left him read my first post. I studied his reaction as he was reading, and was really expecting an ear full. After reading, he just turned to me, and stated that he doesn't want to get rid of his 112H and the 70. So I scrolled down a little further, and left him read my next post. He turned to me again and told me he wanted to keep at least a mower deck for each tractor. So I just scrolled down again, and left him read my next post. After that, he said I understand, and Thanked me for looking out for him. Just before he melted my heart, he stated that he has other things that he wants to keep, and proceeded with his list. I told him I'll think about his request, but I'm not making any promises. He said he understands, and Thanked me again. Out of my three kids, he was the one I was worried about. I never thought he would have taken the news so well. He's a good kid, and maturing quickly.  

• MH81, sacsr, Delmar and 5 others have said thanks

#24 jdnut OFFLINE  

jdnut
  • Member No: 10816
  • 6 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Troy,

I think a great option is to post here what you have for sale and price! Then you know it would go to a great home. And you wouldn't have to pay ebay fees or Auction fees! I know I'm interested in a few items you might be selling. And a few of my friends say they can't wait for the list also. By the way I sent you a email today! Just my two cents.

• Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,576 Thanks
  • 2,562 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Wow! What a response. I logged in tonight for the first time since Friday night, and what a list of PM's. Everybody wants a piece of my collection. I'm overwhelmed, but yet delighted. The way it looks so far, I shouldn't have any problems selling it all. Thanks guys for the interest!  :thumbs:

As for selling the collection, it won't be anytime in the near future. I want to get my wife's kitchen finished first, so that I can dedicate the time required to get all of the tractors running. I'm in no rush, and each tractor and attachment will be sold individually as they are completed. I have a lot to sort through, and a lot of decisions to make, and I want to be sure my kids have the first chance at what they want. All of these tractors will be complete, but since some of them haven't been run for quite a few years, I what to go over each of them to make sure they are in top running order. 

I have a question for the group. I have numerous manuals for the tractors, the attachments, and some of the accessories. Question is, would you sell these manuals with the item it belongs to, or would you sell these individually? Here is an example: I have a 1964 John Deere 110 tractor. I have the Operators Manual for it, a Pre-Delivery Check List for it, a Mower Deck Operators Manual, an Integral Hitch installation Instruction guide for it, and a Headlight installation instruction guide. Do I sell all of these with the tractor, or do I sell these items separately? I'm thinking that the Operators Manual goes with the tractor, along with the Mower Deck Operators Manual, but the rest gets broken up individually. 

Would also like your input on the dealership accessory catalogs, product brochure pamphlets, and old magazine article advertisements. How would you sell these, individually or by a lot? I need some help here guys, so your input and advice means a lot.

• Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#26 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,472 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:24 PM

Troy, I would probably sell off the literature one piece at a time, I think you will make more off of them. I would offer them here at a set price and if they don't sell to a member, Ebay them. After all, you are doing this for monetary gain for the future. Just my thoughts!! Good Luck

• johndeereelfman, boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,576 Thanks
  • 2,562 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Troy, I would probably sell off the literature one piece at a time, I think you will make more off of them. I would offer them here at a set price and if they don't sell to a member, Ebay them. After all, you are doing this for monetary gain for the future. Just my thoughts!! Good Luck

Thanks Brian. All of my items will be listed here first, and what doesn't sell, will then be sold on ebay. I'm going to offer the things to you guys, my loyal friends and members, as I know everything will go to a good home, and will be well taken care of. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and jdnut have said thanks

#28 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,472 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I just hope I am able to snag one or two of your attachment when they do come up for sale.

• johndeereelfman and twostep have said thanks

#29 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,120 Thanks
  • 1,116 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Troy,

I would definitely sell all the manuals and literature pc by pc they'll sell better.

#30 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Troy, as with all things collectible, timing is the most critical when it comes to selling.  With the garden tractors, as we age, so do our buyers.  I've seen it in the collector cars.  At one time, the Model T and similar, was the top tier collector car, and then it moved onto the 30's era vehicles.  Then to the 40's and 50's and today, the 60's era muscle cars are bringing the top dollars.  If you're going to sell, strike while the iron is hot and don't look back.  There will be a time when old lawn tractors will drop in value as those who desire them age and are no longer able to keep a collection up and running.  Today's kids won't even know what a 110 Roundie is, much less care, when they are old enough to afford one.  

Just an opinion from a collector of a few things, some going up in value (newer "toys") and some going down in value... my pre 50's era toys.

I wish you well with your decision and whatever you decide, know that your family will back you 100%.  

GREAT dads are hard to come by, these days...

• johndeereelfman and TomLGT195 have said thanks