Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Going To Swallow Hard, And Pull The Trigger.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Been thinking an awful lot lately, and I think I'm going to start selling off the collection. There are a few tractors that I will keep, due to them being willed to me and the kids from my Dad, but for the most part, everything will go. I made up a list last week of all of the tractors, attachments, parts, motors, wheels and tires, accessories, and memorabilia, and tried to come up with selling pricing. I thought about just hiring an auction company to come in and just start selling everything off, but I feel ebay might be my better method, since it reaches a vast majority of the world. My wife suggested Craiglist, but I just don't feel like putting up with unreasonable offers, or dealing with unnecessary headaches. Some of the tractors haven't been run for years, so with ebay, I can take my time to work on them, and list them after I have them up and running. 

I want to ask you guys for your advice. When listing the tractors, I'm planning on selling a tractor with the mower deck. Because I have so many other attachments, would you throw in extra attachments with each tractor, or would you list the extra attachments individually? As for the accessories, each set of headlights were bought separate from the tractors, and then installed afterwards. Would you take off the headlights and sell them as a set individually, or would you keep them mounted on the tractor and sell them with the tractor? I've been watching the prices lately on ebay, and it seems that the tractors don't bring anymore than normal with or without headlights, but a set of headlights by themselves bring well over $200.00 a set. 

Let me know your thoughts and ideas. It took me a long time to achieve this collection, so I want to be sure that I do things right in regards to selling it all.

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 17, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Littledeere, sacsr and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,711 Thanks
  • 8,897 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:46 PM

As far as attachments, just sell the tractors with a mowing deck. List any others separate. Plows and blowers one at time by themselves.

As far as the headlights, what does removing them leave behind? A gaping hole somewhere?

BTW, I'll take a late model RF 110 with a deck and blower, please. My FIL is building a new house and is talking about buying a new mower. :wallbanging:   Oh, the horror! I get nervous when we go past the Home Depot and he says we should look at mowers.

On a related note, I realize a lot of thought has gone into this decision. But what about whittling the collection down to a size where you have some available working room and maybe go from there?

• johndeereelfman and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Troy, Sorry to hear some of your friends will be finding alternative lodging, but this way you will be able to enjoy the ones you keep even more.

If the tractor is restored with the headlights, I would leave them on... but if they can come off without hurting the resale value of the tractor, I would sell them separate.

Attachments, I would sell separate unless you know you know it will sweeten the sale more by including it.  The Unusual and Rarest, I assume you are keeping most of, but if not... I would sell them one at a time and make sure to list reasonable minimums.  I'm thinking about stuff like your cab, radio, etc.

I'm sure some guys here will be waiting to bid, be sure to let us know when you start.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I'll be keeping one of '63 110's, Caleb's '67 112H, Shayna's '66 110H and Ryan's '67 110, as these were tractors willed to us from my Dad. Each of the kids have their own tractors that will be staying as well. Caleb's '71 70, Shayna's '73 70, and Ryan's '58 RJ. I will also be keeping a second tractor which will be a '67 60.

I really hate to break up the 11 piece round fender set, but I won't part with the willed tractors. The hardest ones to part with will be the '66 112 and the '66 112H. You don't find many of these, and it took a lot of years to find them. I'd like to keep one of the 140's, but I'm still undecided yet. 

Keeping the tractors listed, and selling the rest will really free up the garage, and make a lot of room. Heck, I might even be able to park my truck in the garage when it's all said and done.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Keeping the tractors listed, and selling the rest will really free up the garage, and make a lot of room. Heck, I might even be able to park my truck in the garage when it's all said and done.

Troy, you could free up that much space by selling all the tires... :poke:

#6 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,206 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:15 PM

What will you do if you sell them!

#7 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:17 PM

Troy, Sorry to hear some of your friends will be finding alternative lodging, but this way you will be able to enjoy the ones you keep even more.

If the tractor is restored with the headlights, I would leave them on... but if they can come off without hurting the resale value of the tractor, I would sell them separate.

Attachments, I would sell separate unless you know you know it will sweeten the sale more by including it.  The Unusual and Rarest, I assume you are keeping most of, but if not... I would sell them one at a time and make sure to list reasonable minimums.  I'm thinking about stuff like your cab, radio, etc.

I'm sure some guys here will be waiting to bid, be sure to let us know when you start.

I was just thinking about that very option Alan. Great minds must think a like! I should give you guys the first chance at these items. 

As for the more rare items, I don't think I'm going to keep them. Shayna's '66 110H had the cab mounted on it when it was purchased, so her cab will stay. Her tractor also came with a snowthrower, and I'm still debating on whether I'll keep it or not. The front mount air compressor is probably the most rarer of all of the items. Not sure if I want to keep it and put it with my '63 110 or not. Each of the tractors that I want to keep, will be equipped with at least a mower deck, but I'm debating if I want to keep another attachment with each of them. I'm so confused. I really want to down size, but on the other hand, I know I'll miss this stuff once it's gone. Some stuff I'll be able to find and replace if needed, but others, I'll be lucky to ever find another.

• MH81 and Littledeere have said thanks

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:22 PM

The rarest of rare....I would keep!  May never be another chance to own them again.  As to the huge store of parts, you'll never need them all, and likely not miss them.  I sold a couple tractors just recently, one of them being my Unico 15.  Never thought I'd sell it, but I did, and it didn't hurt at all.  But then I sold it to Doug (DHI), so I know it has a good home.  I am contemplating selling maybe a couple more I like a lot, but lack of room & time (& lack of money) makes it lots easier.  Best wishes on the downsizing....just don't go too far!

• johndeereelfman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:25 PM

What will you do if you sell them!

Good question Jerome. Nothing really set in Gold as of yet, and I haven't really given it much thought. I'll have to find something though, as sitting around doing nothing would drive me nuts. I can't just sit doing nothing. If you don't believe me, ask my wife on days that it rains!  I think I'd like to get into to going to auctions and buying old antique furniture and try my hand at restoring and selling them. I like to work with wood, and refinishing things seems to be something I'm good at, so I might just give that a try. I don't know. I guess time will tell. No telling what I might get myself into next.

• sacsr and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,206 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:33 PM

Good question Jerome. Nothing really set in Gold as of yet, and I haven't really given it much thought. I'll have to find something though, as sitting around doing nothing would drive me nuts. I can't just sit doing nothing. If you don't believe me, ask my wife on days that it rains!  I think I'd like to get into to going to auctions and buying old antique furniture and try my hand at restoring and selling them. I like to work with wood, and refinishing things seems to be something I'm good at, so I might just give that a try. I don't know. I guess time will tell. No telling what I might get myself into next.

Well it looks like to me you have no need to sell them. :thumbs:

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Troy, I never thought I would hear you utter those words, but You have to do what makes sense to you. I know you have come to this decision with a lot of thought, just don't sell anything that you might regret later like maybe the Air Compressor. I will be one that will be watching what you put up for sale. I have thoughts of selling off a bunch of my stuff, but then in a few days change my mind.

Whatever you do, I know it will be the right decision! Best of Luck!! :thumbs:

#12 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:46 PM

I think I might part with my Matchbox/Hot Wheels, and Farm Toy collections too. Farm toys won't bother me much to sell, but the Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars will be a little painful. I've been collecting these cars since I was seven, and with a little over 3,000 pieces, I have a lot of childhood memories wrapped up in them. 

Some are asking why. Why part with the things you love so much? Well, considering the fact that I have around eight different collections consisting of Garden Tractors, Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars, HESS trucks, Comic books, Tonka trucks, Farm toys, and John Deere memorabilia, I think it's time to stop collecting and start putting my money into my kids future. Caleb will be looking for a car in a few more years, and judging by his taste, an old muscle car isn't cheap. Shayna keeps telling Kathy about her dream wedding, and since I'll be paying for it, ten to twelve years just don't sound like enough time to start saving for it. And Ryan, well he hasn't talked much about his future plans, but if he keeps eating the way he does, I'll be spending at least $300.00 a week just on grocery bills. 

The market for garden tractors is in high demand right now, and I think if I was ever going to sell out, that this is the time to do it. I don't know what 2014 holds for us, nor do I know what the future holds for us. I do know though, that these tractors were bought with my kids future in mind, and since their future is just around the corner, I as their Father, have to be ready and be able to give them what they need or desire.

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 17, 2013 - 08:49 PM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#13 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:53 PM

I have much sympathy for you, johndeereelfman.  I rebuilt my garage this summer and, when I saw it empty, I thought "Why am I filling this with dead/dying mowers? Why don't I just park my truck in here?"  I'm still  not sure I like having it full of project mowers, but I can't leave them in the field over winter.  If it was summer, I'd likely be selling them all, just like you.  I can't even work up the motivation to buy a sheet of pegboard to hang my tools above the work bench.  I know I need a winter project, but does it need to be a rider?  Questions without answers...

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 09:06 PM

Tough decision to make, but life goes on, and you've obviously thought this through

and weighed out the pros and cons. I wish you the best in parting with your collection(or

part of)

#15 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Tough decision to make, and you've obviously thought this through

Yes Will, it was a tough decision, and not easy at all. Not many John Deere collectors have the entire round fender set, and all of the attachments and accessories that I do, and to most collectors, that is how they would want to be known. I'm not in it for that. I started on this collection in April 1989, and finally completed it May of 2011. I never thought I'd have all of the tractors and the rare items that I do back then, but now that I have them, I'm bored with it. Yes, tractors still excite me, and yes I want so bad to start restoring them all, but as time goes on, more and more other projects always seem to interfere. I'm 46 years old, and have 19 more years to work until retirement. I could just sit on this collection, wait until I retire, then start restoring them one by one, but will my health by then still allow me to do that? I don't know. Will the garden tractor demand still be there in 19 years? I don't know. Will these pieces be worth more or less than they are now in 19 years? I don't know, and I don't know that anybody knows. These are just questions that I have asked myself over and over again, and the more I think about, the more my desire is to let them go now. 

Don't get me wrong, I will miss having them, and I know I'll most likely never have this size of a collection again, but that's OK, and I'm content with that. Somebody had to sell their stuff in order for me to have what I have, so it's now time for me to sell, and give someone else the chance to have some of the harder to find items that I have. My life has always been focused on helping others, either with my hands, with my limited money, or just the shirt off of my back. Never dreamed of helping others by selling my collection, but if that is what it takes, then I'm happy. I'll be alright, and as you said, Life will go on. I'll still have a couple of tractors to tinker with, I'll still attend tractor shows, and I'll still support this Great website. I hope the friendships will still continue, and I hope that I'll still be able to post knowledge and or concerns. Nothing will change, and I'll still be the same Johndeereelfman as always. 

I Thank You guys for all of you support on this decision, and I appreciate you all looking out for my well being. You are all considered as part of my Family, and I hope that you won't consider any less of me, just because I decided to downsize.

Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, October 17, 2013 - 10:04 PM.

• MH81, IamSherwood and boyscout862 have said thanks