#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Have snow blade on mine now and it doesn't stay up by itself and is heavy to lift. Would wear you out on an outing I believe. Wondering if there was a spring assist or if one has to make a weight box to put back on rear lift to assist? Guess that could be done in back. I'm not seeing points to really mount any springs to and not sure what others have done. I know I have seen this problem come up somewhere on forums, but haven't found those postings as of yet.  Any ideas?

Also the skid feet on my blade seem dumb. Mine had one on it and other worn off. I had a shop make me two new ones just like the good one I had left. There's no adjustment tho to the mounting. One 3/8" hole in the strap metal that mounts where last edge cutter bolt is on blade. These are just an arced 5/16" flat stock that I guess you must bend to position then to adjust? Seems like quite a bend needed on mine, so really gonna try to make another bolt hole instead. A slot would be best, but I have difficult time making those slots in heavy metal and usually make a mess of it. Oh, well, will have to mess with it and see what I con do for another hole I guess. Any ideas on these?  Need pictures?

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:27 PM

You should be able to mount a spring assist anywhere there is room on the linkage. I never found it to help that much. The old Simplicities had the rear hitch "stinger and collar weights" to help. I find the hydraulic lift the only one that is good. Some pics might help. Good Luck, Rick

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:34 PM

Just thinking maybe the big rod coming off the rear hitch, pointed up, where the hitch ball is mounted now, then one could use weight lifter disc weights on it to assist?  That way you could adjust the amount of lift by adding/subtracting weights.  Those are usually pretty cheap to buy. Then I wouldn't have to make a box back there and be quicker. I've seen fellas do this on other brands for traction weight, bet never heard how hand or well it worked. Hmmmm! Think I'll look into this.

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Bought a 25lb weight and two 10's yesterday. Went out and layed them on the hitch. 25 worked to keep it up, but another 10 was a little better. Then I noticed that hitch isn't lowered down to stop like it should. Upon inspection found the lift link from lever to the fulcrum linkage on frame hits the head of the bolt holding on dash tin at frame and also kinda catches one of the rollers for engine movement in same area. SO.....Gotta try to move the big link Out some and clear those bolts. Maybe that is most of problem, just not coming back far enough?  The lift bar isn't long enough to just put on other side of the lift handle's tab w/out moving front connection out quite a ways, so might just try washer spacers in front first, see if that gives enough. Otherwise might be making another link with offset to make it all align. I hate it when you have to re-design stuff to make it work right.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 06:59 AM

Just an update on this. Changed those bolts and lift bar alignment and blade handle went back farther and stayed up with no weights at all. Just didn't move enough before to "Cam" over and lock. I now have the weights on too and it goes real easy. Fixed the blade feet with another mount hole and a little bending and now blade sits flat to pavement and on the feet. Now, gotta see what chains I have to put on it. These are new ag tires and chains don't work that well on them, but we will try some anyway.