#16 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Heck...Iam, what do I have to do to get a job up there? Min wage here is $ 7.40us.. Maybe i should move up there for the summer and work and then move back here in winter. I wouldn't mind making some money for just pumping gas. lol It is a shame that young people just don't get it. Roger.

• IamSherwood, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#17 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Heck...Iam, what do I have to do to get a job up there?

Be prepared to give most of it to the Gov, so they can pay too much out in wages.

• hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,034 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:51 PM

Yeah what a topic, and it is real hard to say any more than what's been said. I'm sort of an anti-tech in a way, the way the big tech companies outdate perfectly good systems and equipment is a constant irritation to me but it seems most people don't mind buying a new version of windows and new expensive computers every year or 2. It had been said that if car manufacturers built cars like microsoft builds operating systems for computers, everyone would have to learn how to drive all over again every year!

Anyway the "tube" is what took the young'uns away from the garage, field and construction site. Of course allowing them to become tube zombies does fall on the parents shoulders, but I have no real clue how to do it any different in todays society. My niece and nephew in Colorado are required to have a smartass phone for certain grade school classes! TV was one thing but then video games, then the PC,then the smartass phone---well it was inevitable in a way. Lookin' at that thing is much easier than swingin' a 22 oz framing hammer or bustin' tires or even runnin' heavy equipment and some of them even make it pay better. Hope my kids do somehow. Well I'm gonna quit looking at this tube for tonight!

later---DAC
  • hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 05:47 AM

I think its just some kids are good talkers . My son now 24 would be zombie and my daughter 20 is well ,,,let's say just the oppsite . It was always like that my kids had an 45 min bus ride to school after my daugthers first week of school she knew all the kids names if they had brothers and siters in high school ( different bus ) and more . My son ,still on the same bus didn't know the girls name he sat next to for the last 4 years lol
  • hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:18 AM

i myself have noticed in decline in the younger then me kids im 30. all they seam to know how to do is book work or sit in front of the x-box or ps2.growing up i was into what ever thought was different from tinker on lawn mowers to model cars. i went door to door tasking if neighbors wanted their lawns mowed, or something along those lines. no im not a people person but if someone has the same interest and i can learn from them ill talk with them for hrs. In front of them not through texting or emailing ill even call people still to gain knowledge in the hobby i happen to be working on cars gts and so on.i believe that kids these days are turning into zombies not being able to give more then a quick short answer or just a quick text and be done and back to their game or ipod.Not all youth is this way but i see more of them like this everyday.

Me and you are a lot a like.  I'm 30.  I love to talk to people, learn about stuff, and like the OP I've had tons of hobbies over the years.

Life is too short to have your head buried in an electronic device or TV.

I do however enjoy my smart phone, tablet, and other goodies, but they aren't the focus of my life.  I'd much rather be in the garage turning wrenches than to be inside with my head shoved in the sand.

• hamman, backwoods, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:28 AM

I too was in boy scouts. I learned a lot from not only doing the right thing, but helping the community out and learning the essentials as well. I started out as a tiger? I know Rick can help me out. But whatever the first cub scout class was when I started, and I made it til I finally crossed over to the boy scout years. I always looked forward to the pinewood derby race :smilewink: Something about making the car the best looking and having fun, but needless to say we had our brats in it. I mean even the parents were helping their kids cheat by putting ball bearings on the axles!!! Your not even allowed to do it but yet if they got caught they threw a huge fit including the parents especially. I remember my mom and dad helped out one year. My dad was on the committee for tech checks so he immediately became the bad guy when someone was caught having mods done that weren't allowed. To this day me and my brother both still have our derby cars and I must say some of the paint jobs I did im still impressed with. If im able to find the, ill take pictures and show you guys but mine was white and had blue flames with the outlines of the flames being silver. I did all of it with a fine needle and tooth picks but you want to know something? I enjoyed it especially being with my parents and brother. Everything we did, we did as a family.  

Tiger Cubs are the youngest. Four years ago, the Scoutmaster and I stopped doing all the work for the Cub Scout Pack in our town. None of the parents wanted to do the work of running it so it ended. In our Troop it was just the Scoutmaster and me doing 90% or more of the work. Because we weren't selling popcorn, only had 4 boys and didn't have Cubs (and some jealousy) our Troop was ended. We went to a neighboring Troop where we had friends and were welcomed. Ricky finished his Eagle there.

It is sad. My son is third generation Eagle Scout but Boy Scouts has become a business. Our area Council  Executives are making $100,000+ and get bonuses for profit. Corporate greed has invaded BSA. We have great memories of our times with Boyscouts and it is a great time for boys today. If you have a son in scouts, you have to put in time . One of the great secrets for dads is to go to Scout Camp for a week in the summer. Phones are not allowed and you get some peace and quiet. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 18, 2013 - 11:18 AM.

• Alc, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#22 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:36 AM

Yep, you are about right. I fight it with my own children, 13 & 16. My son will come out and help me if I need him, but trying to get him to help while learning is like pulling teeth. My daughter is a hermit. She will come out and bug me for a few mins occasionally, but then back to her room. PS3, Facebook, Twitter, Cable, you name it. I'm 44 and granted I didn't have the electronics like they do, but I never stayed indoors. I hung with dad as much as I could helping him. I could change oil or tires, build a wall, pour concrete, fence, run electric, plumbing, etc by the time I was 18. My 16 yr old son doesn't even have desire to get his license. He does have his own GT he wants to restore, but doesn't show the desire to go do it, guess he thinks it will be me doing it.  

Look at our country and the state it's in and it pretty much explains has the younger ones think.

My son seemed the same way. It turned out that he was overwhelmed by it and needed to be shown what to do step by step. A first small project of sanding and painting the hood gave a quick reward and helped spurr him on. Even today, he has a degree in Nuclear Engineering but is intimidated by mechanical work. Last night I made him do an oil change on his car. He did fine. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman, oldedeeres, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#23 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:18 AM

Maybe i should move up there for the summer and work and then move back here in winter. I wouldn't mind making some money for just pumping gas. lol

Seasonal worker from south of the border doing the jobs Canadians don't want to do any longer.

Seems I've heard that story before. :smilewink:

Edited by Canawler, October 18, 2013 - 09:18 AM.

• hamman, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#24 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:36 AM

I wondered how long that would take for someone to catch on....!!! LOL.

Really though.... it is a shame that our society has become so lax in passing on the values we ( older people) were raised on. I just can't believe that the almighty dollar is more important than the family you (man and woman) have decided to make and love. It only takes a short time for our children to see what we are doing for them to take up the habits (good or bad) and live their lives with them. I still believe that whoever you believe in, spiritually, has an ever needed presence in our homes and families. Not trying to insult anyones religon or belief, just stating my feeling. Hope you all have a safe and great day and upcomming weekend. Roger.

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#25 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,871 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 12:48 AM

We, too, were involved in Boy Scouts. Both boys went through the program and the younger one was a Queen's Scout; Olde Deere#2 was a Venturer leader,( both boys and girls in the group), but the key words here are " were involved". The parents have to be involved with their kids;to teach them their values, not just drop them off at the meeting place and expect someone else to bring them home. The changes in the school system up here have really contributed to "zombieism" too. Nothing is expected of them- grades are marked on the curve-, no failing marks are given- might be hard on their feelings of self worth- nothing is taken seriously as far as behaviour is concerned, I could go on and on.
The cell phone, constant contact thing drives me crazy. It seems very few of the younger people have an independent thought or any concept of repercussions of their actions. Could they even begin to cope if there was a disaster of a national sort and they actually had to do something physical to provide shelter and food for themselves and others? There's always another life on a computer game, in real life you very seldom get another chance-- what is, is. This is a lesson we don't seem to be able to get across these days.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#26 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 05:21 AM

I think many preppers are hoping for a disaster just to weed out alot of people. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#27 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'd say a disaster of epic proportions would weed out all of us. Not just the prepared
  • boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#28 mowerbeast OFFLINE  

mowerbeast
  • Member No: 29683
  • 32 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:16 PM

I have cousins who are younger than me. A few of them are real outdoorsy and hands on. The others don't want anything to do outside of video games, texting, and just sitting there in a zombie like state.

I started doing landscaping at 13, before that I would go to work with my dad and would clean up the construction sites. Now as an adult I have 1 cousin who's 14 who is willing to do work for me, noone else wants to be bothered.... and I feel like I pay pretty generously. I managed to build up enough customers that if I wanted to, I could do this for a living as opposed to just a weekend hobby.

I never got into the texting thing, I can't... it's just stupid to me. It takes more energy to send a text than to call the person. Kids now don't realize that eventually they are going to need to support themselves. They are going to need to do something to make money, and texting and playing video games isn't going to get them anywhere.

The other thing is that kids are taught that they are too "good" to do hands on jobs. They're forced into believing that to make good money and have job security they need to hold some job in an office, but those are the jobs that are getting shipped to Timbuktu. The real jobs that offer real job security are the hands on jobs. Landscaping, mechanics, construction, electrical, plumbing, etc.

The other thing is that a lot of people, not just kids, believe that just doing something to the point it's done is good enough.... But you need to do it the right way, the easy and quick way isn't always the best.

• IamSherwood, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#29 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,871 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:55 AM

This may be off on a bit of a tangent, but since we seem to be ragging on the "younger" generation and their behavior etc.----
" What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders. They disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. What is to become of them?"--- Plato,427-347 B.C.

'Twas ever thus, it seems.
  • Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#30 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 11:22 PM

This may be off on a bit of a tangent, but since we seem to be ragging on the "younger" generation and their behavior etc.----
" What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders. They disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. What is to become of them?"--- Plato,427-347 B.C.

'Twas ever thus, it seems.

What happened... They didn't get their arse handed to em by their ole man for being little shits. My son turns one on nov 7th and by God he will respect his elders, his mom.. he will do chores.. He will NOT get a allowance for keeping his room clean and for picking up after himself.  He will also realize that in being a respectful person he will get perks (like hunting down in Wyoming with grandpa and me.  I believe in being fair but i expect him to be good..  

• IamSherwood, EricR, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks