• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Now that I got your attention first of all I don't watch the zombie shows. I guess it's part of getting older, now 59 that I wonder about people in general especially our younger generation teens & college age. I have always been fascinated what people can do or won't do. I love a good conversation with anyone, I don't know a stranger. My wife was pushing our son now 20 in a stroller when he was little in the mall. He was speaking to everyone. She told him " Josh you don't have to speak to everyone" & without hesitation with Binky in his mouth he replied " Daddy Do". It's hard to get some younger people to carry on a conversation anymore, they reply with a grunt of maybe yes or no it's hard to tell sometimes. People are doing so many mindless or stupid things that hurt themselves or somebody else. It's like they have no function or purpose. I have had so many hobbies over the years....wood working, old tools, old cars, antiques, rockets, football card collection, model cars, R/C planes, trains, & now GT's.I have tried so many times over the years to get the younger kid's involved with little or no interest. It seems like if they have to use their hands to make an effort their not interested. I have had some good times over the years with a lot of kids but not so much recently. My wife & I have been Children's Ministers, Youth Leaders, & I have been involved in Men's Ministry too. We went to a Children's Ministry Conference about 20 years ago & I remember the discussion was about getting kid's to focus. At that time kid's were leaving the reading to learn generation to the visual to learn. I think now we have a new generation that is sitting behind technology so much they don't know how to actually talk to anyone & hold an interest. I get so aggravated when people will text for a half hour when they could just make a phone call on the same phone & have a conversation in a lot less time. I have had my business for over thirty years & I have seen kids fresh out of college that can't read a measuring tape. We can be doing the same thing for hours & still some have to be told to do it again. I dare to let most meet the home owners or some I keep outside. I work mostly by myself because of this...just can't put up with the headache of a crew. Before you go thinking, I have always paid them well, picked them up, took them home, loaned money etc. it just doesn't matter. Maybe I watch or care too much about people but I wonder what it's going to be like in another 20 years....maybe Zombies? lol

• IamSherwood, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 04:36 PM

i myself have noticed in decline in the younger then me kids im 30. all they seam to know how to do is book work or sit in front of the x-box or ps2.growing up i was into what ever thought was different from tinker on lawn mowers to model cars. i went door to door tasking if neighbors wanted their lawns mowed, or something along those lines. no im not a people person but if someone has the same interest and i can learn from them ill talk with them for hrs. In front of them not through texting or emailing ill even call people still to gain knowledge in the hobby i happen to be working on cars gts and so on.i believe that kids these days are turning into zombies not being able to give more then a quick short answer or just a quick text and be done and back to their game or ipod.Not all youth is this way but i see more of them like this everyday.

• IamSherwood, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,304 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 04:46 PM

People who have met me accuse me of being the second biggest BS artist this side of the Mississippi. I (normally) LOVE talking to people especially at tractor shows, events, etc. it is one of my reasons for being here. Like a non stop tractor show :D :thumbs:

My Kids are getting the better part of some out door stuff. I tried to reduce the "screen time" manually for them, but got such resistance that I decided a different tact was in order. Make stuff outside as fun as th computer and they will gravitate with minimal prodding.

Now they will usually go with me to the farm without poking, sometimes I get whiny whatever as a response, but they're teens. Oh, and "The Look" still has a little sway.

I hope that their friends get as much outside time as they do, but idk.

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:22 PM

This is a very interesting topic Jim. I can thank my parents when I was younger for keeping me outdoors as long as possible. So when Christmas would come around or my birthday which is only a few weeks after Christmas I might add :D I would always be given toys or things to do outside like games, or Tonka trucks and the such. As I got older it was a bit harder especially when I first hit my teen years. I was the one that followed everybody with electronics and the sort and I soon found out how boring it was and yet enjoyable because I was still young. My father introduced me to pulling back when I was 7 years old. He got me a 1972 years custom 10xl and I loved it, the only thing he had to do was make a long clutch extension for my short legs lol. Dad had his moto mower.me and my sears, and my mom and her custom. We considered it a family activity, while most people were out on vacation or anything like that we were at the pulls together.  So as the years went on as the cubs were becoming more dominant in the adult class I made the tough choice of selling it to fund the cub. But the whole pulling life is another subject but I could go on all day about that :smilewink:

But there for awhile I was constantly caged inside the house only coming when needed or when I felt like it. Ever since I've joined this family, I've been outside more and more and not only that I have a few more GT's to keep me occupied outside. Some of them have become money pits, and some have been my faithful companions and work horses over the years so thanks to this family on here ive just about dropped my electronic addiction and switched over to the tractor addiction :D Its amazing how much more your confronted by actual people than by some little 10 year old sitting behind a tv screen cussing and screaming at you and what not. People actually appreciate the work I do even though its not much it makes me happy and keeps my fire going for this hobby and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:48 PM

I blame the lack of a solid family unit with no parenting and electronic babysitting for children instead of interaction one on one. During school children are told to be this be that, be in this be in that and so on. The lack of a proper work ethic shown by parents to their children has  alot to do with it. I took time with my kids and explained what they could expect if they didn't learn a strong work ethic early on. Now don't yell at me to much, there are a lot of good parents out there and are concerned about their children and their future. There are some though that just don't care and it is evidenced by the amount of matrial things parents "give" their children without having earned it.

By a solid family unit I mean taking the time to sit with your children to teach them right from wrong, working for what they want or need. Therein lies another problem, want versus need. Taking time to mentor them and teach them about, well lets just say, our hobby. Proper care of equipment tools, and materials is taught not inbred. A family that at least one or twice a week sit down together and has dinner together that they made together. No one can tell me that there isn't time in a week to sit with your children and talk to them about their problems, cares and concerns. All to often it's more about me and less about you and us.

I have tried in the past to express to a young person comming to work for our company (when I was working) that a good work ethic is important. Time off is earned and not just presumed to be given by employment. A lot (majority) of these young people just blew it off and asked when is payday and when can we start using sick and vacation time.

Respect and a good work ethic should be one of the first things taught to young people today. JM2CW. Roger.

• IamSherwood, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 3 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:48 PM

I've been with Boy Scouts off and on for over fifty years. It really seemed to go down hill with my generations(boomers) kids. Now its brats raised by brats. Too many are raised to believe they are special and entitled to what they want. Society seems to be headed to eliminating the middle class and the average intelligence. The smart and ambitious will always get ahead but the average are now having to struggle more. I guess it is that everything is being dumbed down. All we can do is teach our children and others that are interested. BTW when our 20 year old was in a stroller we were complimented on our "grandchild" many times. We were in our 40s.

My family thinks I'm the biggest talker. I guess it has to do with age and wisdom. Good Luck, Rick

In answer to the question: yes, and they blindly follow their political parties.

Edited by boyscout862, October 18, 2013 - 07:00 AM.

• hamman, IamSherwood, nbent and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'm glad you guys feel the same way, I was hoping for a good response. A lot does fall on the responsibility of parents as mentioned & that's what has got me concerned. Rick made a good point brats raised by brats. My Dad worked hard as a machinist sometimes long hours to get a good what they use to call piece work ( more pieces made over your required for the day you got paid more). I knew when the weekend came it was me & him tinkering with something. My Dad would bring home mostly 1" x 12" pine boards that he salvaged at work from crates. My job was pulling nails but not throwing them away I had to straighten them & put them in baby food jars. My reward was I got to make stuff with our lumber & yes I had plenty of nails. lol  I'm glad to see young men getting into this hobby of Gt's. We all want to pass things down to our children but what I see are some that have nothing to pass down.

• hamman, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#8 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 06:49 PM

I too was in boy scouts. I learned a lot from not only doing the right thing, but helping the community out and learning the essentials as well. I started out as a tiger? I know Rick can help me out. But whatever the first cub scout class was when I started, and I made it til I finally crossed over to the boy scout years. I always looked forward to the pinewood derby race :smilewink: Something about making the car the best looking and having fun, but needless to say we had our brats in it. I mean even the parents were helping their kids cheat by putting ball bearings on the axles!!! Your not even allowed to do it but yet if they got caught they threw a huge fit including the parents especially. I remember my mom and dad helped out one year. My dad was on the committee for tech checks so he immediately became the bad guy when someone was caught having mods done that weren't allowed. To this day me and my brother both still have our derby cars and I must say some of the paint jobs I did im still impressed with. If im able to find the, ill take pictures and show you guys but mine was white and had blue flames with the outlines of the flames being silver. I did all of it with a fine needle and tooth picks but you want to know something? I enjoyed it especially being with my parents and brother. Everything we did, we did as a family.  

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#9 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Posted Image

My son a few months ago. This is hIs fIrst year of scouts. Kids today suck and I blame parents. I'm the oldest at work by 13 years and it amazes me how stupid they are. They didn't know what a beveled edge in a piece of metal was. The ability to do things like math and spelling has gone down the drain. My son doesn't have a gaming system and has limited tv time. He can do more than the average 20yo can as far as life skills. Society is done and its the beginning of the eotwawki.
  • hamman, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 2 others have said thanks

#10 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:15 PM

I have to say that I agree with you, and im in the generation we are talking about (teenager). I am part of the local tractor club here and the next youngest guy is about 30. I will admit i do use technology, but not all the time. there are a few threads on here of stuff that I have built or brought back to life. I am actually thinking about a future project of an articulated tractor. I guess one thing I'm trying to say is don't lose all hope there are still a few of us that can and will go out and work with our hands.

• hamman, BairleaFarm, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#11 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,495 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Yep, you are about right. I fight it with my own children, 13 & 16. My son will come out and help me if I need him, but trying to get him to help while learning is like pulling teeth. My daughter is a hermit. She will come out and bug me for a few mins occasionally, but then back to her room. PS3, Facebook, Twitter, Cable, you name it. I'm 44 and granted I didn't have the electronics like they do, but I never stayed indoors. I hung with dad as much as I could helping him. I could change oil or tires, build a wall, pour concrete, fence, run electric, plumbing, etc by the time I was 18. My 16 yr old son doesn't even have desire to get his license. He does have his own GT he wants to restore, but doesn't show the desire to go do it, guess he thinks it will be me doing it.  

Look at our country and the state it's in and it pretty much explains has the younger ones think.

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:32 PM

I have to say that I agree with you, and im in the generation we are talking about (teenager). I am part of the local tractor club here and the next youngest guy is about 30. I will admit i do use technology, but not all the time. there are a few threads on here of stuff that I have built or brought back to life. I am actually thinking about a future project of an articulated tractor. I guess one thing I'm trying to say is don't lose all hope there are still a few of us that can and will go out and work with our hands.

Nothing wrong with technology nbent we all use it but like you we need to get up & do something with it. Thanks

• boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,584 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:33 PM

As a Boy Scout Leader I used to tell parents that BSA did not stand for "Baby Sitters of America"!!! It still didn't work. They broght them dropped them off and than had the aduacity to call and ask us to take them home.  Lack of ethics by the parents equates to apathy by the kids. If parents don't care why should they. Sad actually. Roger.

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:23 PM

They're spoiled rotten. Why? Our generation did it to them. Why? As our parents taught

us a work ethic, it most certainly involved doing things that we didn't want to do. But that's life, and

those of us, that didn't figure that out, decided that they'd be "Good" dads and moms. Be their

children's friends, not the ones that discipline them. So, they never made their kids do the

jobs that they hated to do when they where young. I've had 18 and 20 year olds work for me (briefly)

that didn't know how to sweep a floor. "The house keeper does it", was the answer.

That's another part of the problem. Too much money, compared to the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. The same "Good"

parents are the ones that are responsible for the pussification of this world. Bleeding heart liberals, that are

busy coming up with rules and regulations, to protect their children and the rest of society from itself.

There is no accountability for your own actions anymore. Someone has to be blamed for the kids getting hurt

if they put a plastic bag on their own head. And this younger generation knows that they can use this

big "Safety" shield. It won't be long, and some young zombie will be requesting a Hazmat suite, before

he paints that fence post.

And those darn phones gotta go. I recently heard from a study done, that the average cell phone

user, checks it 150 times a day. WHAT?? That's crazy. No wonder they don't know how to do anything.

They don't have time to. There was a thing on the news the other day. They made a big deal, and

hats off congratulations thing, to a class of high school students that had a sleep over at school, and

endured 23 straight hours of not having their phones. Then the gave them their phones back. It was pathetic

how the zombies reacted.

Just my opinion, and maybe a bit harsh, but I'm pretty peeved about this situation, because of how it's

affecting me personally more and more every year, especially this year. We can't find any young help.

We are in our mid 50's, doing jobs suited for younger people. But where are they? They don't want a job

that entails actual work. In Ontario, minimum wage is $11 and change. We pay about $14-$15 to pump gas.

Beside us is a Provincial park. They start students at $16 an hour, to sit in a kiosk, and wave to the campers.

That's if they're not busy texting the other kiosks.

• hamman, nbent, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:33 PM

After Jared was down here for a couple of days I had to remove his phone from his hands and make him tune in. Then he lost his phone and didn't miss it at all. We still haven't found it.

• hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks