• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 877 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 11:33 AM

I guess that I have it good in one aspect, that being that the garden area that I currently using is fairly flat but as a disadvantage is soil content has a LOT of clay.  The one section that I used this year is about 50X50 and I spread about 18-20 yards of old saw dust from a local firewood producer.  I spread a layer about 6-8 thick and then tilled it in good.  The compaction is alot better and actually had a pretty good crop. I have tilled most of the garden area several times after bottom plowing it last Spring.  I hope to get a couple of more loads of sawdust and spreading it over the rest of the garden area, tilling it in good and letting it sit over the winter.  I will plow the entire garden in the Spring and re-till it.  The soil tests came back pretty good but still need to work on the clay content.  It is going to take several years to get it where it needs to be but I will keep working at it.

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 07:59 AM

If you have a lot of clay, unpainted drywall broken up and worked in helps to keep it loose.

My opinion on no-till is that it does work, but needs a lot of fertilizer (natural or chemical) on a regular basis, and lots of weed killer or back-breaking labour) for the first few years.  After it's established the weed problem tends to drop off.  I've seen it work in agriculture.  I've never had enough time to do it in the garden, but I am finding that compost tea is boosting my tilled garden nicely, so should do the same on no-till.

• Alc said thank you