6 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:22 AM

I need some help wrapping my mind around the concept of a self-leveling FEL. In the picture below I've circled a lift cylinder that I suspect is part of the "self-leveling" mechanism but I can't figure out how.

case 530.jpg

This cylinder is only on the right hand side of the tractor which leads me to deduce it's for that system. Here's a short video clip that shows a Woods self-leveling loader at work.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5BM7oXynUfc

Thanks for helping me wrap my mind around this concept. Thanks.

Matthew

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:28 AM

I don't know how it works exactly but what I think it does, is keep the bucket level as you raise it in the air. Without this if the bucket was curled all the way back and lift to max height the contents of the bucket could potentially come back onto the machine and/or operator. So something like this doesn't happen.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jfGoi6Vz3mA

Edited by farmerall, October 17, 2013 - 11:31 AM.

• Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Yes, that's my understanding also. I just can't figure out how it works and whether or not that cylinder is involved. Thanks.

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:34 AM

BTW, the tractor in the pic above is a Case 530 Construction King...hence posting it here in the Case forum.

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 12:39 PM

My Ford 4500 has the auto leveling on the loader. Its an extra valve on the valve bank. I can engage it to keep the bucket at a set level. The Case 530s had a problem with there auto levelers. IF you put it on at the wrong time, the top of the right boom support post would rip off the post. That is why most had a strap of steel wrapped and welded over the top as a field repair. I don't remember how that extra cylinder worked. Good Luck, Rick

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:12 PM

I once tried to make a loader into a fork truck like lift. I wanted leveler to keep load flat. It's all in that upper linkage that runs above the loader arms and pivots at the arm bends and runs down to the bucket. Depending on heights of any of these mount points, the action can change. I had heck of time trying to figure out dimensions to do it correct. I made and remade much of the mounts and pivot points to get right. I DID get it close till about the top 2 ft of lift, it still rocked back some on mine. I think the cylinder in this case is just for those times when you DO want to move the bucket back as it is lifted and not be a leveler. You don't really need a cylinder IF you wanted leveling all the time, but would be best on a loader to be able to choose which way you wanted. If you look at some aftermarket loaders for GT's, they have those extra links I mentioned here and are self-leveling. Johnson comes to mind as one brand. I've seen them on Jacobsen GT's and others in pix around net.

#7 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:23 PM

our 680 backhoe has 2 of those cylinders on it and i think they are just lift assist cylinders, to help loads at high heights. we have a jd that the self leveling is done without a valve, it has a linkage on each side that keeps the bucket rams in the same place.