• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:14 PM

I took an old APC battery back up apart and rigged it to a lawn mower battery and plugged a battery charger into it and a lamp,it ran a 60watt light bulb for almost 2 weeks solid in my shed.

All I had to do was hook a switch to the low voltage kick in Relay and basically just click it on.

Eventually the battery charger could not keep up with the power demand but it was fun to monkey around with.It still works fine but I have to keep a fresh battery hooked to it.

Did you also test to see how long the 60 watt light would burn without the charger hooked up?

And your point is? You used external power to power your; whatever you want to call it!

GP...he powered the charger off the AC converted by his battery backup, not grid power.

• MH81 and EricFromPa have said thanks

#17 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:13 PM

And your point is? You used external power to power your; whatever you want to call it!

And my point is,With a 350cca 12v battery Alone it was only good for about 10 hours.With a 12 amp charger hooked to it,it lasted almost 2 weeks before it finally drew the battery completely down.

Shed was to far away from the house to run power and I've always liked to tinker with electronics.I trash picked the APC.It's dry cell battery packs were shot so it didn't cost me a dime other than the materials that I allready had.

It only drew 3 amps from the charger running both the charger and 60 watt light bulb.

Was bored on a rainy day.Tinkering with stuff keeps me out of trouble.lol

Edited by EricFromPa, October 17, 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,031 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 11:31 PM

:iagree:

On top of that if you listen, it sounds like at least one bearing in the motor or generator is going bad.  :wallbanging: