Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The impact of the internet and our garden tractors hobby.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 09:39 AM

...It's a good thing that my storage shed can't hold more!

That hasn't stopped me...yet LOL I just keep putting up more sheds.

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 09:47 AM

I don't know that it's had much impact in buying. I found my latest one on Kijiji, but pre-internet the same ad would have run (without pictures) in the Buy and Sell.

It does make a difference in researching though. It's now easy to find out about a specific model, check on parts availability etc.

The internet also makes it possible for communities like this one to exist, where you can learn from others, share knowledge, or just hang out.

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 06:30 PM

I found the last set of Local NOS rings ($30) for the HH100 in Saegertown PA. Picking them up next week with a NOS headgasket he had. In relation to the internet, The parts guy said that there's been such an influx in requests for the old stuff that 2 companies are making aftermarket rings for the older Tec engines. His vendor will have them available after 1-1-11. The parts "Easter-egg hunt" may be getting better, thanks to us rust-nuts. :D

#19 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 08:45 PM

I have found a few of my garden tractors on the net but most of them were local from running ads in the local paper. One thing the net is great for is the info on these old tractors and tracking down parts. When I was looking for Panzer parts I thought it would be next to impossible to find them, but doing a quick search I found Dandy sales and he had all the parts I needed and was a great source of info. It would have been a very long shot on finding him half the country away if it had not been for the net.
The best thing about the net is being able to find a group of like minded guys and have a site like this one to hang out and share your common interest and the knowledge that we have each gained about these tractors. It would be interesting to add up all the years of experience each one of us has working with our tractors and just see how many years of collective experience are represented and available here.
I have met a lot of neat people in connection with this hobby and am glad to be able to call many of them good friends. Some I have met in person but many of them are far away and the net keeps us in touch.
The net and pricing of tractors,parts and implemets comes up but I don't think it makes a huge difference. The same guys who think there stuff is worth way to much because they saw one sell for x number of dollars would probably still want a lot for whatever they are selling even if they hadn't seen another one sell. Just my 2 cents worth. Mike

#20 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 09:58 PM

I would have to say it was vital for me... I first saw the Massey Ferguson tractors online and fell in love with the looks. After tossing a rod in a third motor in a junk MTD I was done. I would find myself a "real tractor" this time. I picked up a nice little MF8, but kept looking. A few months later I bought my 12G and the sickness began. I found a contact here on MTF searching archives and he sold me a mower deck. Now seriously, without the internet, what would my chances of finding a guy within driving distance that had the mower deck for my tractor? He later sold me the 12H that I am rebuilding.

Now my John Deere did come from a friend who knew I liked the old stuff, but without the net to get me started, I may of bought another pile of junk.

But the parts network, decals, and tech... my word the tech! You can google and find how to do just about anything to anything now. You-tube videos worked me through my first carb rebuild.

Downside? Minor compared to the upside... Sure, the parts and tractors have become "expensive" but even a $500 tractor is in the "expensive range" for a 30 year old iron job. But $1000 only gets you an entry level disposable tractor at a box store. There is very little for me to find bad about the net's influence on the hobby.

#21 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 10:16 PM

Oh yeah, i remember that mower deck! I would never have had it without the internet. Actually, with no internet i would never have gotten my first MF's, and started my addiction. So i guess its a "one thing leads to another" type deal.

#22 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 11:53 PM

My first GT came about in 78 out of need to cut grass and the internet wasn't around. However, I wasn't into collecting GT's at that time either. There's a long story as to why this tractor ended up with no engine and sat doing nothing for many years but one day I woke up and decided that I needed to do something about it. That decision sent me to the internet to conduct some research and that research led me to forums where I discovered all kinds of addicts engaging in a phony 12 step program in a vain attempt to fool their wives. It wasn't long before I caught the disease.

That led to using the internet access to Kijiji to find tractors in the listings and then post WANTED ads in those sites. Of course, I was already an avid e-Bay'er to feed my collector habit regarding Japanese pottery but suddenly I found myself bidding on old tractor parts. Yes it's true. Parts prices have gone up noticeably over the past five years but I don't hold the internet at fault any more than I hold the magazines such as LAGC at fault. The truth is simple. The hobby is growing. More people are getting into it because right now it's still very affordable. Look at all the things you can collect. Some of us collect just one brand of GT. Others collect several brands. I know that there are guys who collect reel type walk behind mowers or rotary mowers. Jack sends me listings on C/L for some of the most obscure lawn tractors such as Porter Cable. There seems to be an unending variety of those orphan tractor brands that were either made nationally for a year or two or they were a local brand sold by a chain of stores that might be only in a few states.

Without the internet, the growth of the hobby would be tiny on an annual basis. Parts would by difficult to source. Determining values for tractors would also be very hard to guage. I don't know how I would have assembled the library of sales literature, service manuals, parts manuals and operator's manuals without the internet opening the door to the world so I could explore it from the comfort of my office. For me, the internet is pretty much responsible for almost every aspect of my involvement in the hobby.

So what's the bad part about the internet, you ask? Well, I would have more money in the bank because the internet provided me with the means to spend it. But what good is money if it does not bring you pleasure? Being involved in the hobby does bring me pleasure most of the time. It's allowed me to meet some really fine people like George, Dan, Maynard and my good buddy Jack (mastifflawyer) along with many more who shall remain nameless.

I can't even blame the internet for the $@@king a%#^oles who run around scooping up every tractor they can find just so they can part it out on e-Bay. Now don't get me wrong. There are some good guys that are doing this and it is a necessary evil. However, there seems to be far too many that have no clue about what they are parting out and some rare stuff is paying the ultimate price for their greed. In addition, some very good tractors are being destroyed in the name of the almighty buck. There's nothing wrong with those tractors. They are not junk They still have a useful life left in them but the fact remains that they are worth more as parts than what they will bring as a whole, running tractor. Sad.... but true.

But I think that this would go on even if there was no internet because the pirates and thieves of this world will always go wherever the money is so whether it's e-Bay or local swap meets, these types will be there.

Now that's just my opinion and people are free to agree or disagree with it.
  • MH81, caseguy and tractorgarden have said thanks

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 08:27 AM

That was well said Hyrdiv :thumbs:

#24 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 12:54 PM

I can't even blame the internet for the $@@king a%#^oles who run around scooping up every tractor they can find just so they can part it out on e-Bay. Now don't get me wrong. There are some good guys that are doing this and it is a necessary evil. However, there seems to be far too many that have no clue about what they are parting out and some rare stuff is paying the ultimate price for their greed. In addition, some very good tractors are being destroyed in the name of the almighty buck. There's nothing wrong with those tractors. They are not junk They still have a useful life left in them but the fact remains that they are worth more as parts than what they will bring as a whole, running tractor. Sad.... but true.

But I think that this would go on even if there was no internet because the pirates and thieves of this world will always go wherever the money is so whether it's e-Bay or local swap meets, these types will be there.

Yeah, that happens with everything. I had an 1974 MGB engine and transmission in my garage that had been through a flood. I had no idea whether they were rebuildable or not, but thought that somebody into older British cars might have a use for them. I advertised them as "free to a good home" since I had no idea if they were good or not and just wanted them out of my way. I was inundated with calls from people who just wanted to sell them for scrap though, like "good home" and "melted down to make an oil pipeline" are the same thing. One scrap guy got mad when I wouldn't give him the engine and accused me of being sentimental.

Eventually a guy who was restoring a car came and got them, and was incredibly grateful, but fending off the scrap metal guys was tough.
  • tractorgarden said thank you

#25 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 06:05 PM

I found the internet helped me learn more about the different tractors and equipment that were made and the history behind them . All the repair info is so handy too.

#26 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 12, 2010 - 08:32 PM

That was well said Hyrdiv :thumbs:

:ditto: I couldn't agree more!

...I was inundated with calls from people who just wanted to sell them for scrap though, like "good home" and "melted down to make an oil pipeline" are the same thing...

ROFL! You certainly have a way with words Rev!

#27 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 03:57 PM

I have only found three of mine on the internet.

#28 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 04:02 PM

I have only found three of mine on the internet.

You need to try harder.

#29 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted December 16, 2010 - 01:18 AM

I actually got my first tractor from a good friend of my fathers for free it was a Massey MF8G (the pulling project) I started looking on the net for information about it and found lots aswell as parts and other things I also aquired my 60s model MF10 locally but all my other tractors have had something to do with the internet whether it be via a forum CL or Ebay. the internet in ways is great but then there are those out there who try to take advantage of our hobby like a couple of the sellers on ebay who drive the prices way up because they know the parts are hard to come by and that alot of us really need them Its ok to make a few bucks but when you take 1.00 and turn it into 100.00 your a genious unless you are the one having to pay for itand some of us just dont have the funds available to pay alot of todays prices thats really the only con to me there are so many pros however and its always great finding rusty gold and making friends.

#30 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 09:35 PM

A good part of this hobby, is being able to research,search, and share on the internet.
I can't envision having this pass time without the net.
And it's sights like this that make it that much more fun.