Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The impact of the internet and our garden tractors hobby.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 07:27 PM

I was thinking about this today. What are your thoughts on the impact the internet has on our garden tractor hobby?

I think it has it's benefits and it's downfalls. On the positive side you are able to find almost any information that you could possibly ever want to know on your favorite brand of garden tractor whether it be a Bantam, Bolens, John Deere, Massey Ferguson, Colt/Case/Ingersoll or any other brand of lawn or garden tractor. You also get to build friendships and meet new people on places like GTtalk and other online forums or communities.

I haven't been in the new or antique garden tractor hobby long enough to know all the details. I would assume the negative impact that the internet has on the garden tractor hobby is driving the prices up on tractors and parts. Just in the short couple of years that I have been into the hobby there has been an ever steady increase in the growth of the hobby. Maybe that is one of the biggest reasons to prices going up?

What do you feel the impact of the internet has on our hobby, good or bad?
  • daytime dave and dryrun have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 07:59 PM

Well, without the internet, I would have NONE of the tractors I have today....none, not one did I find without the internet......oops, I lied inadvertently, as I got the Unico 15 from my brother. BUT, the Cub Cadet he owed me for, I got via the internet, and he gave me the Unico to settle the debt, so still internet related.
And really, it was the internet, and it's vast array of forums that got me so "into" this hobby. Before internet, I was content to have one that would mow my yard without quitting on me. For me, internet has been the driving force behind my GT hobby, no doubt about it!
Also, with all the great garden tractor people I've gotten to know through the internet, I could travel anywhere in the USA & Canada & have people all over to visit as I roamed.

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:15 PM

I too have found all my tractors on the net.....The info is also great, this forum has donated a number of manuals to me.

I really dont see a down side....Prices have always gone up, now and before the web......The info and the friendships made on these forums more than makes up for that.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:25 PM

I can say that the internet has had a positive impact on my Bolens/ Garden tractor hobby. Before I found the Forums on the internet, I used to think I was the only one with this crazy Bolens Addiction, Now that I know someone with 40 Bolens I don't feel as bad LOL :D
I also have found the majority of my Tractors and parts online. The best thing of all is meeting great people who share the same interests as you. And I really think the Garden Tractor is making a comeback due to the resources and information on the internet.

The only downfall I think would be the prices have been driven up by the "what's it worth posts".
Other than that It has all been good :)

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:48 PM

If it weren't for this site & the people that grace it's pages, I wouldn't be into the hobby at all. The ones I did have were just weathering away. Now I'm trying to find places to put them, even if it means moving along some of my older "hobby" stuff.

This is worthwhile to me & I don't think I'd have found the pleasure without the internet.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:52 PM

The only downfall I think would be the prices have been driven up by the "what's it worth posts".

Now that is funny. Them threads pop up everywhere though :D

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:53 PM

I have only been in the hobby for a couple of years, the internet GT forums have been a life saver for me. I have had hobbies in the past where I was the only person I knew that enjoyed them. Only freinds and family to show off my work to and nobody to get resources from. Yes the parts have gone up a little, and GT prices too, but Money hasnt talked me through a magneto rebuild or a carb diagnosis.

The absolute worst part about all this is that Y'all are to far away!

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:55 PM

now that is funny. Them threads pop up everywhere though :D

lol :D

#9 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 09:09 PM

Me on the other hand I've been a GT nut since I was 14 or 15 I bought my first MF 7 that was all in pieces.That started my adiction to them.I've made small implements for me to use with them,and it was always nice to beable to afford to buy them with implements.Now as for the internet I've only had it for a couple yrs now.All my tractors etc: where from going to Auction sales as well as looking in the clasifieds of papers etc:.Once I got a computer and connected to the net its been pretty neat as now I can get lots of info plus can actually find deals on these tractors as well.The net has opened a whole new way for me to beable to pick and choose the ones that I'd like to buy etc:I know I'am a late starter and to be perfectly honest if it wasn't for the little guy needing to beable to look up stuff on the net for school,I may very well not have the internet even today.Now I'am hooked and don't know what I'd do without it. Larry

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 09:09 PM

I agree with everyone else about finding garden tractors on line. I had often wanted to collect more than I did, but I would find them in a hit or miss fashion. Usually, I found them beside the road, a sign on them. If I was even able to stop, the owner was not home and I would not make a connection.
Now, the internet shows us pictures, gives us contact information, and lets us revisit whenever we want. We can network, form alliances and cooperatives, all with one intention. Now we can locate hard to find parts, mostly not in stores, but out in sheds, shops and garages of other enthusiasts. The internet has increased awareness and availability.
You input what you want and you are directed to places that likely have what you want. Prices will naturally go up on everything. People will have the ability to see what the other guys sold for if they want to look.
More and more machines that may have never been repaired, for lack of parts etc, will now be sold or repaired, instead of being put behind the barn or along the hedge row.
For me, the internet has helped me further my hobby. (This hobby as well as others) It has also made my wallet lighter. This is by far my favorite forum on the web.
Good thread George.

#11 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 09:30 PM

It's got it's good and bad.Without it i would not have started a bussiness meet alot of nice people like the ones on this forum.As brian said those what it's worth threads on any forum i dislike.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 11:35 PM

I haven't been in the GT hobby very long. The 5 garden tractors that I have have all been acquired locally from people that I know (or from people that know someone I know...i.e. friend of a friend...). That being said, I agree with Brian that almost none of the folks that I know locally are interested in seeing the new acquisitions much less talk about them LOL. It's really nice to have this community of people who share in my interests!
Now that I've covered that, I did use the internet to find one of my attachments and virtually all of the documentation that I have on them. I have been collecting farm tractors for about 10 years now. When I first got into that hobby, the internet databases weren't nearly as developed as they are now. I must admit that part of the "thrill" for me used to be the chase...of information...of parts...of resources...and certainly the machines themselves! However it did frequently get very frustrating trying to find hens teeth without the now omnipresent "hensteeth.com" LOL!
I agree with everyone that the internet has had an effect on the rising price of everything, but only to the extent of how quickly the price has risen! The hobby would still have grown and the prices would still have gone up, but it would've been a much slower upslope without the net.
IMHO the only "drawback" to the internet is that so often you don't get to press the flesh...so to speak...Until I was introduced to this site, my experiences with the internet were very impersonal. This is the first real "community" of like minded people who care for each other outside of the original purpose that brought them together that I have ever come across in cyber-space. There are a few clubs and organizations that have achieved this in a local setting, But this is different somehow! (I don't know what magic ingredient George and DC added to the mix when they whipped this up, but there is something VERY unique about this place!) I think that i may have gotten off topic a little, but if this site is any indication of where the internet is headed, the one drawback that I mentioned above may go away with time. That's my $.02.

#13 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 12:00 AM

George, I think what we are seeing right now is a repeat of other other events from the past, but at a higher speed. Years ago, when you went to look at an old piece of equipment, you did not have any database as to what something was worth, it's age, or it's rarity. the seller would tell you all kinds of stories, such as "there's only 5 or 6 of these known" or "this is one of a kind, it was a prototype that was stolen from the factory" Now, a few minutes on the net, and you will know more about it than owner. The net has slowed and even stopped a lot of promotions. About 20 years ago hit and miss engines of the 1 to 2 hp range caught on and the prices went crazy. After a few years, and a lot of antique engine shows, the small common engines returned to a sane price level, where anyone could buy one even in running condition for a third of what they were selling for, simply because people found they were not as rare as they were told. Thus, sanity returned. I have seen this happen in almost all venues, an initial spike then a gradual settling of values. Yes, prices will certainly go up, that is the normal run of things, but, at a managable rate. You guys here on the site, and other sites are helping to keep prices managable by simply pricing your toys at a fair level. I too hate the what's it worth thread, but from what I've seen, intelligent answers have been the norm. I know of farmers in the 50s that lost their farms when they were fed a rumor by a large grocery chain that told them to put all the ground they could into sweet potato production, because there was going to be a severe shortage, then only bought a few poataoes at a very low price, then wouldn't buy any more at any price. We ate sweet potatoes for the next six months cooked every way possible. Now, that scam does not work because of the info available. The old saying "the truth shall set you free", could be amended to read "The net can help to find that truth that will set you free".

I feel the net has sped up the cycle time from initial spike to a sane levelling off, and I thing you guys on all sites whether GTs or rag dolls have done a great job by simply doing what you do best, working on and promoting your hobby.

This post is strictly my own opinion

regards GEORGE

#14 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 12:14 AM

All four of my GT's are the result of searching on the web. It's a good thing that my storage shed can't hold more!

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 01:00 AM

Of my 100 or so garden tractors, I found and bought exactly none of them from the 'net. I wouldn't be against it, it just never happened. Every time I see something interesting for sale on the 'net, it is five states away. I did buy the side panels for my Tri-Trac, and a perfect grille for my '48 VAO Case off ebay, because those can be shipped and both are very hard to find. The 'net is a great source for information, but then that information reaches the kind of people that heard of a '63 Vette selling for $85,000 so they think their '63 Biscayne four door with a three on the tree thats been sitting in the fencerow sunk to the frame and rusted to the windows is worth $85,000. On the positive side the 'net really helps promote the hobby, and has brought more people into collecting, and that is a good thing because there is definately enough tractors to go around. With the increased interest, we are seeing parts that are being reproduced - and thats good too! I guess there is good and bad in everything.
  • dryrun said thank you