• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_schlotz OFFLINE  

ryan_schlotz
  • Member No: 40490
  • 20 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 08:40 PM

I need some help...I was plowing the horse lot with my 59 surban and now its stuck in forward. I cant get into neutral or reverse amd when I try it bogs the engine down and tries to kill it. I have no clue where to starting looking for the problem...any help?
  • JRJ said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,323 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:11 AM

Ryan, I moved the post out into a thread all it's own so it gets some more visibility.

When the engine is off, Can you tell if the clutch plate is trying to disengage? Is the mechanism moving?
(I hope someone more qualified than I gets here :D )
  • ryan_schlotz said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:24 AM

I heard that the early 4 wheel tractors used the same diff. as the walkbehinds . If thats the case I think it's a spring loaded clutch so if the linkage or throwout bearing has any problem it woundn't relesase , now thats only if they are the same , sorry I couldn't be of more help , hope someone will be better able to

#4 ryan_schlotz OFFLINE  

ryan_schlotz
  • 20 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Thanks, it gives me a startng point to look at once I get my tires back on and the tractor back to my garage. I know the suburban looks to be a simple machine but ive never work on small tractors so im a little lost.

#5 ryan_schlotz OFFLINE  

ryan_schlotz
  • 20 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Even with the engine off the shifter still doesnt want to move. It almost looks like its in the neutral position but still drives forward when started.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,323 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:07 AM

There is some mechanism under there that may not be moving as it should. There's a lot of stuff that goes on under the tractor...
Do you have the tin off around the clutch?

Boy I wish a couple of people with experience would see this :D

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,323 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:13 AM

Try downloading this manual (there are two in the DL list, I think the top one is more complete)
http://gardentractor...riding-tractor/

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 04:50 PM

I seen it and did a little pm with the poster. The only thing it can be is the clutch is stuck together. Real easy to test. There are two big pulleys on the right side of the tranny case. If you cant turn the outer one with out the inner one moving, then the clutch is still engaged. Possible reasons would be the disc is rusted to the back of the outer pully, the linkage to the clutch collar is bound up, the ball lock bearing isn't releasing. Fairly easy to fix. Remove the tin cover, remove the belts to the clutch and reverser, remove the set screws from the center of the outer pullys hub, then turn the outer pully off the nut in its center. That nut is held on the input shaft by a roll pin, covered by the threaded part of the outer pully.  The outer pully is what does the driving of the shaft, the inside pully is the one with the clutch disc riveted to it. When you push the lever forwards the inner pully slides out towards the outer one, the ball lock bearings go over center, and the pressure hold the two pullys tight. Reverse has nothing to do with going forwards, as that part of the system is an over running pully and belt located to the rear of the main two pullys.

• Gtractor, MH81, drbish and 2 others have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,323 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thank goodness someone who knows what they are talking about showed up. Thanks Jeff.

#10 ryan_schlotz OFFLINE  

ryan_schlotz
  • 20 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Awesome guys. thanks a million. Once it stops raining and being 40 degrees ill drive it in the shop and fix it.

#11 69L46Vert OFFLINE  

69L46Vert
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 41088
  • 38 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 08:43 AM

I had this same problem when I got my first DB Suburban. The problem turned out to be the "clutch throwout plate" as the manual calls it. (accessible from below the tractor.) It's the part that slides backwards when the shift lever is moved foward.If the two square blocks that it slides on are not parallel, then it can bind; causing it to stick in forward. If one of the nuts is loose that it can cock a bit and bind too. If this is your tractor's problem then it's an easy fix. Since it was working when it happened, this would be one guess as to what went wrong, Rick

• MH81, Alc and ryan_schlotz have said thanks

#12 ryan_schlotz OFFLINE  

ryan_schlotz
  • 20 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 01:33 PM

Very good advice, thank you very much. And by the way your DB in your profile pic is amazing!
  • 69L46Vert said thank you

#13 69L46Vert OFFLINE  

69L46Vert
  • Contributor
  • 38 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Very good advice, thank you very much. And by the way your DB in your profile pic is amazing!

Thanks Ryan. That was a couple years ago when it was just refurbed

#14 ryan_schlotz OFFLINE  

ryan_schlotz
  • 20 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 09:10 PM

my suburban is barn fresh still, idk if its worth restoring or if I should just leave it as is. Works great until this problem happened and is all orginal and is completely complete. But after seeing your picture got me thinking retoring it.
  • 69L46Vert said thank you

#15 69L46Vert OFFLINE  

69L46Vert
  • Contributor
  • 38 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 08:24 AM

I really had to paint up mine Ryan since it was slathered with a heavy coat of yellow rustoleum. And it seemed as though every moving part on it was  severely worn. Like it never got any oiling or maintenance. It was truly in need of a good going over. I like the look of a worn original paint job but in this case, it had to be done.

The clutch/reverse system on these tractors can be humbling even to a well seasoned mechanic. They took me quite some time to fully understand. It's the type of system where all parts have to be in near perfect balance for the tractor to perform as designed. If you run into more trouble don't get discouraged. A lot of people have given up once they get into the clutches in these things.

Good Luck with it, Rick