11 replies to this topic

#1 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • Member No: 41816
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi all,

I'm working on a '75 Case 444.  Bought it in August and have been working (slowly...along with a house remodel) on fixing it up.  I'm putting it back together this week and am pretty excited to actually get to use it...except for one thing:  I'm 6'3" and it feels like the tractor was designed for much shorter legs than mine.  I see two rows of holes on the metal plate that the seat attaches to and that appears to be a way to adjust the seat position.  But unless I'm just not visualizing it right, it looks to me like the seat is already at the furthest back position.  I've got the rear PTO rototiller on it and the valve for that is just a couple inches behind the seat, so it doesn't look promising for me to fabricate some kind of seat adjustment solution.

Any other taller folks out there that feel more than a little cramped sitting on one of these?

I see a Craigslist ad for a mid 80's Case 448.  The post says the engine needs rebuilt, but other than that it looks to be in really good shape...lots better than mine (although I would miss the desert sand hood).  I read in another post that the frames on the 80's models were 4 inches longer than the earlier frames.  Does that translate into any more leg room?

If so...mine has a sleeve hitch and the rear PTO on the back.  Would that be compatible with the later model?

Thanks for the help!

--Bryan

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hi Bryan;

For the seat you could bolt two pieces of angle iron under the metal hinge plate and have it extend back a few inches. Drill the holes where you want them and bolt the seat down. I'm 6'1" and prefer the 1980 and later machines. The frames were extended 2" not 4" in front of the dash tower to the seat. So yes it does help with long legs. Another way is to raise the seat a few inches.

As far as compatibility the rear pto and sleeve hitch will not work. The pto steel lines will be to short and the sleeve hitch lift link/arm will be to short. That's all. So if your handy those things could be remedied.

• whitefishblues said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'm 6' and find many tractors(especially JDs) to be cramped. an adapter of 2" square tube will probably help you. Good Luck, Rick

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:10 AM

"Case 444 And Long Legs..."

You folks just luuuuv  to get our attention with catchy titles!!!

You know, back in 1975, there were a lot fewer people over 6' than there is now. Times have changed.

#5 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'm 6' and find many tractors(especially JDs) to be cramped. an adapter of 2" square tube will probably help you. Good Luck, Rick

Same here. I've spaced the seat on many a gt.
  • boyscout862 and whitefishblues have said thanks

#6 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 04:40 PM

"Case 444 And Long Legs..."

You folks just luuuuv  to get our attention with catchy titles!!!

Guilty as charged!

#7 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 04:43 PM

As far as compatibility the rear pto and sleeve hitch will not work. The pto steel lines will be to short and the sleeve hitch lift link/arm will be to short. That's all. So if your handy those things could be remedied.

Thanks for this information.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  I could probably flail around and figure it out eventually, but the seat spacer sounds much better to me.  I'll give that a try.

Thanks all!

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Im the same height as you and i was cramped on my 444

#9 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 06:12 PM

I do understand! I am 6'7" and my CC 129 is not good for long legs! I am going to modify the seat mounts when I pull the engine to remove the balance gears. 

Geno

Edited by bgkid2966, October 17, 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,597 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 06:31 PM

If you can't move it back, how about raising it up?

#11 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 02:20 AM

If you can't move it back, how about raising it up?

I mentioned that in post #2. :thumbs:  Great minds think alike!

• LilysDad and whitefishblues have said thanks

#12 whitefishblues OFFLINE  

whitefishblues
  • 49 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 03:17 AM

Raising it up hadn't occurred to me until you both suggested it.  That would probably be just as effective as moving it back, maybe more so.  I think I'll plan on that.  

Unfortunately tonight I found one more hurdle to clear before I get it ready to go.  The mounting holes on the bottom of the engine are stripped out.  I searched the forum on that and it looks like heli-coils are the solution, and fortunately the local farm store has a kit in stock!  So I'll have to take care of that before I do anything with the seat.  I wonder how much I'm going to have to remove from the engine to get it to where I can sit it on it's side and work on those holes without hurting anything?  Guess I'll find that out soon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 444, 448, case, ingersoll, seat, adjust