• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:19 PM

So tonight I go to the shop to try to figure out why the 3112H has no spark. Checked and reset the new mag, made a new wire to go to the points, Checked magnet on flywheel, Filed the new set of points, checked, regapped , new spark plug,and still no spark! rechecked several things several times, still nothing. Am I missing something??? Ive never had this much trouble getting spark. So I give it a rest and decide to check out the "new" 101 Landlord. after discovering that the starter generator wires were switched, it turned over, but the S/G started smoking at the terminal. Spun slower than it should. noticed the shaft is bent. So I grabbed on off of a parts 727 Broadmoor, put it on and its shorter! case measures 6" while the old one measures 7-1/8" Does it matter if its shorter than the original???? Thanks

Edited by pwombles, October 15, 2013 - 09:20 PM.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Spark issues can be a PITA. I assume new condenser?
Are you sure the kill wire isn't shorted out? Mag grounded well?

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 06:24 AM

Something is grounding somewhere to cause you to get no spark.  You said you bought a new mag.  An idiot question here, but I would check whether it is the right one. 

How is your spark plug wire?  Is this the one that comes separate or a part of the coil?

How are you testing the spark plug?  Are you sure it is grounded when you test it?  No paint, no dirt, no rust?

Have you tried it without the breaker cover in place?

Finally, are you sure the engine is timed right?  A untimed breaker and points engine will not give spark.  Is the flywheel key good?

Ben W.

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 06:57 AM

This may help you ... or not.  I believe the 3112H is similar to my HB112.  

wiring diagram.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, October 16, 2013 - 06:58 AM.

• JRJ said thank you

#5 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 08:48 PM

so I rechecked everything. Should be right mag as stens number said it was for briggs number. Spark plug wire was already attached, I have a spark tester that you put on the spark plug wire and it registers nothing. Works on another engine fine. Took the breaker cover off while I test, as far as the flywheel key, dunno cause flywheel nut is rusted tight, i dont have a box wrench big enough, and am soaking it with pb blaster. I checked spark with a set of points that worked, but still nothing. I was going to try a different mag that I had on a parts engine, but the mice had gotten to it first. I am at a loss, dunno what to do at this point.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:04 AM

Flywheel magnets clean?, try disconnecting switch kill? Is the plunger moving the points from closed to open OK? (Disconnect mag, hook up a test light, pull the plug and turn it over. Should get a blink blink blink...)
  • pwombles said thank you

#7 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:31 AM

magnets are clean,disconnected kill switch,points are opening and closing ok. gonna get a different test light tonite, ordered a genuine briggs mag. Will check stuff tonight and report back.