• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John R in WI OFFLINE  

John R in WI
  • Member No: 48371
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I have a JD 210 garden tractor (1983 vintage).  This is a model with the "variator" mechanism.  Recently the tractor has a hard time climbing hills or pulling a load because the clutch drifts down quickly under load.  I replaced the variator spring last night, but there is no change in performance, even though I adjusted the new spring to be as tight as possible.  Does anyone have any ideas on what else might cause this?  Thanks!

• dropped82, Dieselcubmike and JRJ have said thanks

#2 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like its time for a set of belts and a re-adjustment of the variator. Not too bad. Make sure you replace both belts and use John Deere belts. They have an angle cut in them just for the variator to work properly. Once the belts are in loosen the variator bolt (under a cap on the right side). Then pull the spark plug wire so engine doesn't start. Place the variator handle in the 3rd notch back from high speed. Crank the engine till the clutch pedal rises as high as it can get. Center the variator bolt in the hole and tighten. You should be good after that. Make sure it crawls in the slow position. If it stops then try the adjustment again.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

• JRJ said thank you

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hello and welcome!

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:14 PM

welcome to GTTalk

with the belts remove try and slide the center of the variator from side to side

if it does not slide you can try just and little penetrating oil to free it  then clean up the penetrating oil and put powered graphite on the hub and working it in

if it slides but has a wobble you might have to replace the hub or replace the variator

a little wobble might be okay if not the two belts cause it to bind causing the variator center not to slide on the hub

come back often John

this a great site and we like to help and we like to see pictures

good luck

• JRJ said thank you

#5 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Oh I forgot. Welcome to Gttalk.com. Great group here. Definitely worth hanging around.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

#6 John R in WI OFFLINE  

John R in WI
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestion so far!  This morning I bought new primary and secondary belts from my local John Deere dealer, and tonight I took the old primary belt off.  That's as far as I've gotten so far.  The center part of the variator seems to slide easily back and forth, so I was happy to see that. The variator does not seem to have a wobble or excess play in the bearings.  I like the suggestion of powdered graphite for lubrication, so will apply some and work it in before I put the new belts on.  Again, thanks for the help so far!   

• lyall said thank you

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,755 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 09:17 PM

Unbolt the pulley on the rear end, it's easier to thread the belt that way.

#8 John R in WI OFFLINE  

John R in WI
  • 5 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:58 PM

I am happy to report that new primary and secondary drive belts did the trick!  I got them changed over the weekend, adjusted the variator, and the tractor is working great now.  Thanks to all for your suggestions!

• Cat385B said thank you