Garden Tractor Forums banner

How Not To Pull A Car Engine

798 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  TAHOE 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I like telling stories if you guys haven't noticed....I've witnessed a lot of stupidity in my 30 years of life, and like to share. I've participated in quite a bit of the stupidity as well. I probably should get smarter friends.

Pulling an engine circa 2003.

Back 10 years ago me and a buddy raced dirt track. We didn't have a whole lot of money to spend on luxuries for tools other than our basic hand tools. We couldn't afford an engine hoist, so we went on the hunt for something to make work. Well we found an old block and tackle laying at a yard sale for 5 bucks, and then acquired some good hemp rope. We went back to the shop and found a sturdy tree limb that was about 10 feet above the car. We rigged everything up, tied a Honda 200 3 wheeler. My buddy, who was a big old boy at 300+ pounds, hopped on the 3 wheeler, and easily pulled the engine a good 5 feet above the car. He set the parking brake, and proceeded to get off the wheeler, as soon as his foot left the peg the 3 wheeler shot past him, up into the tree, and the engine crashed into the car.

Our excitement and cheer of figuring out a cheap way to pull engines quickly ended as we were looking at the smashed radiator, front cross member, and fender.

So the 3 wheeler was hanging in the tree, we went back into the shop and drank some beer.

The next day we traded the old 3 wheeler for a nice used engine hoist. Problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.