• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:09 PM

The costs I'm giving you are what it's going to cost me to have the job done properly." He sounded very sad after that.

He should be sad, as his crew did sad sad work. He may be in a place to where he can't afford good help, but if so, it's time for him to seek other ways to make a living.

#17 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:31 PM

When you get the final bill i would wait two months to pay then i would send them the wrong amount first and then a tore up check second and so on.At least four a few times.

#18 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 07:52 PM

I think his crew would have been capable of better work with some supervision and training. That's something I just keep coming back to on this. Their supervisor showed up every 3 or 4 days for 10 or 15 minutes and had a coffee while telling them jokes. When I tried to talk to him about how long it was taking or the damaged stuff he stonewalled. I can't speak to what went on off site, but I never once heard the supervisor mention any problems to the workers.

Yeah, you do have to pay a little more to get decent guys, but so what? Three guys on the crew making $12.00 an hour (that's about the top rate for unskilled labour here). So you expect more, do some training, and get three guys making $15.00 or $18.00 an hour. So that's another $75.00 or $100.00 a day in wages, but they get the work done quicker and you have fewer complaints, so you make more money. I don't buy the whole "Can't get good people," thing. Not in this economy.

The same goes for equipment. Buy stuff that works. Get the broken stuff fixed. Teach your people how to use it. In the end you'll save money.

This whole thing is ridiculous though. They know I'm a writer. They know one of the things I write about is home improvement. They knew I was taking pictures. At the very least I would have expected them to cover their butts because of that. I'm not famous. I mean, I'm not Stephen King or anything. I'm not completely unknown though, especially in the local market, and I know they knew that because the boss, back when I hired them, mentioned liking my articles.

It's also not like I'm tough to get along with. Not sure what to do with those electrical wires? Hey, I'll give you hand. Don't know how to take down a porch properly? Just ask, I've got decades of experience. Not a perfect job? Hey, it's an old house and I can likely paint over that in the spring...a little bit of caulk, a little bit of latex, and everything is fine.

I would have loved to be writing a cheque for the full amount today. Instead I'm negotiating.

#19 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 04:16 PM

Yay! Negotiations are over and the bill is paid. He gave me 10% off the final bill, which should cover the costs I'll have as a result.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 04:17 PM

Congrats on a pleasing outcome! Not often does that happen in such circumstances! I guess "Merry Christmas" is in order!

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 23, 2010 - 06:02 PM

I've heard of a Christmas Donkey, Dog, Cat, etc in stories & storybooks... but I have never heard of a Christmas Monkey.

Merry Christmas Oooo Oooo Oooo Aaaaa Aaaaa Aaaaa! (supposed to be monkey talk)