13 replies to this topic

#1 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Has anyone used a 12 volt linear actuator as an implement lift?

After using the rototiller on the 1050 yesterday, I really want a power lift. I know the hydraulic kits are out there, but they aren't getting easier to find. I forgot the about the one on eBay until after it was closed.

I was thinking about some different ways of making one, such as using a power steering pump, or a hydraulic powerpack, then I saw some 12 volt linear actuators. It looks like a 6" stroke would be about right. It seems like intermittent use wouldn't hit the battery and generator too hard, and there wouldn't be any pump/lines/cylinder to leak oil.

I think one could be adapted to fit pretty easily, and they're not too expensive.

Think it would work?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 06:44 PM

You could use an electric actuator pretty easily. Make sure you get one with the proper throw and torque rating. Cub Cadet used an electric lift and so did John Deere and a couple others I believe. A hydraulic one would be nicer because it would be faster and heavier duty but like you said they are not the easiest to come by. I think member Tweidman added an actuator to his Massey. I am pretty sure it is on here in the Massey forum if you search for it.

• Kfs35 said thank you

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:03 PM

using a electric lift you should have a helper spring

it is recomended for the Deeres 100 and 200 series GT  

look at the following link for Linear Actuators

http://baileynet.com...inear_actuators

they also have Hydraulic power units too

I have brought from them and they are a good place to look at first

• Alc, Cvans and Kfs35 have said thanks

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:46 PM

My Mom and Dad  had a electric lift on their WH  I  think it was an dealer installed option  Im not sure but it is something like this

http://www.wheelhors...mponent-photos/

• Cvans and Kfs35 have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 04:14 AM

Johnny Products the makers of the Johnny Bucket loader sell a selection of those actuators and the switches etc to make them work. Reasonable prices as well. http://johnnyproduct...us-hardware.htm

• Alc and aws lude have said thanks

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 06:43 AM

I've done alot with actuators. Just remember when you use a rock shaft your weights change due to leverage and pivot points. Actuator weight capability is based on a dead pull. Any dpdt switch will work. I prefer ones with momentary on/off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 07:05 AM

The Hydraulic lifts are not hard to find and would be alot easier to install and you would be keeping your tractor original.......

• Kfs35 said thank you

#8 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 07:30 AM

The Hydraulic lifts are not hard to find and would be alot easier to install and you would be keeping your tractor original.......

This is the thought in the back of my head.  The instant gratification, gotta have it right now part of me wants to get an actuator, and get it done yesterday, but I think Im going to keep looking for a lift kit.

#9 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 07:34 AM

I've got a cylinder and spool valve off a 520h I would sell. I don't have any of the brackets. Heck if you wanted to go hi tech I've got a gear reduction steering set as well.

Edited by BairleaFarm, October 15, 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 07:36 AM

This is the thought in the back of my head.  The instant gratification, gotta have it right now part of me wants to get an actuator, and get it done yesterday, but I think Im going to keep looking for a lift kit.

Remember, they are only original once and once you start Drilling holes and making modifications there's no turning back.

• BairleaFarm and Kfs35 have said thanks

#11 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 08:25 AM

So.....

Anyone got a hydraulic kit they want to get rid of? Or know of one?

Thanks,

Bob

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:16 AM

My Simplicity 7117 has a factory electric lift on it. No pumps, hoses, valves, or leaks. I actually kind of like it.  :thumbs:

Thinking about putting one on the Kubota G4200 to lift the snow blower. 

#13 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 09:25 PM

Has anyone used a 12 volt linear actuator as an implement lift?

After using the rototiller on the 1050 yesterday, I really want a power lift. I know the hydraulic kits are out there, but they aren't getting easier to find. I forgot the about the one on eBay until after it was closed.

I was thinking about some different ways of making one, such as using a power steering pump, or a hydraulic powerpack, then I saw some 12 volt linear actuators. It looks like a 6" stroke would be about right. It seems like intermittent use wouldn't hit the battery and generator too hard, and there wouldn't be any pump/lines/cylinder to leak oil.

I think one could be adapted to fit pretty easily, and they're not too expensive.

Think it would work?

honestly I would try to find a pump where you could mount it like the original and run it from the engine.. I think it would be hard or be costly.... I have a nice complete lift on the shelf but I have plans for it but there were some that pop up on ebay but there pricey, I would try an find a tractor with one on it take it off an sell the tractor that would be cheaper then just finding one separate

Edited by 1967bolens collector, October 17, 2013 - 09:29 PM.

• Kfs35 said thank you

#14 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:49 AM

honestly I would try to find a pump where you could mount it like the original and run it from the engine.. I think it would be hard or be costly.... I have a nice complete lift on the shelf but I have plans for it but there were some that pop up on ebay but there pricey, I would try an find a tractor with one on it take it off an sell the tractor that would be cheaper then just finding one separate

Thanks, that's what i have decided to do.  I'll keep looking for a lift, or a tractor with one on it. 

• BairleaFarm said thank you