Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Building a home server for media and backups on the cheap.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 11:16 AM

I wanted to start a thread to document ideas as well as get other member's thoughts. The main goal is to do it as cheaply as possible but I also plan on doing all new hardware for it. It also isn't going to be something that is built in the next week. I am going to get parts for it slowly.

The main purpose of it will be for a media center and file storage. I also plan on setting up a sync for it to automatically backup the website(s) on a nightly basis. I currently manually backup the site(s) databases each night through ssh, tar them and then download via ftp.

For the media side of things I currently have about 400gb worth of movies copied on my one partition of my main computer and I would like to put these on the server instead of my computer. I would also like to eventually setup a wireless video streamer to the main tv which that is later in life, for now I will just stick to burning the dvds that need replaced.

I also have a desire for power because I like running distributed computing projects, I haven't been able to do them for a while but plan on getting back in to it in the future but there are a lot of neat projects that help with science.

With that being said even though I could get away with a simple single core processor or a dual core, I will probably go with a quad core. Probably 2gb ram since it won't be being used as a desktop. I am thinking at least three 2TB drives. Operating system I haven't decided. Windows home server seems alright and I am sure ease of use will be there but I am also tempted to use FreeNAS or a debian based server with Samba. The reason I wouldn't mind doing a linux or unix based server is for rsync and being able to setup automatic backups with the web server.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 12:32 PM

Well George, I'll have to trust your word on this, as most of what you said may as well be in Martian lingo, as I understand almost none of it! LOL
I do know what a TB is though!

#3 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 06:33 PM

I had something like that
Dual CPU
redundant psu
2gb ram
4x 250gb seagate
3ware raid

..... well apparently the email alerts werent working. I hadnt checked it in a almost a year. (it was almost 4 years old, drives were older). went to go check why it wasnt responding. two drives were bad. guess i shouldve bought the online backup LOL

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 06:35 PM

I don't know how cheap I am going to be able to do it because I would like to do some nice components so it will be tough to say. I am thinking I will probably even do a 4u rack mount case even though it won't go in a rack but rather down on the floor hidden. I will do everything with it via ssh or web gui.

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Well George, I'll have to trust your word on this, as most of what you said may as well be in Martian lingo, as I understand almost none of it! LOL
I do know what a TB is though!

I'am with you on this one Dan.Only I don't know what a TB is. I'am good to go turning on the switch and hopefully it'll all start up fine otherwise I'am out of luck.Larry

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:14 PM

I'am with you on this one Dan.Only I don't know what a TB is. I'am good to go turning on the switch and hopefully it'll all start up fine otherwise I'am out of luck.Larry

Stands for terrabyte, which is 1,000 gigabytes.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 13, 2010 - 08:48 PM

I was looking at some used servers on ebay. They have rackmounts which would be alright because I really don't care what it looks like as it will more then likely end up in the basement in a rack LOL. Shipping is pretty high I think. Plus most of them don't come with hard drives and if they do they are only about 8oGb.

I would really like to do at least four 2TB drives and run them in a raid 10 array. That will probably be the most expensive part of the whole system.

#8 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 14, 2010 - 12:17 AM

yeah you can get some good deals on there. i got a 42u with a realvnc ip kvm for $150. sold the the kvm for 400 on ebay pretty quick. used that to buy some 3u cases with dual psu and hot swap trays. ive seen some good deals on the 3ware raid cards