Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie Wanting To Build A Super Stock Puller!

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket099 OFFLINE  

Rocket099
  • Member No: 48227
  • 8 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 04:00 PM

So after doing some research and looking around at what i can do in my state, ive tossed out the idea of a diesel puller. Now I am looking at either an economy or some type of cub. I can probably get a cub cadet 100 for free, any thoughts on this? otherwise i was told a 108 would be a good starter, i found one locally for 500$ and think i can get it down some, this a good deal? am i in the right direction? I would probably want to drop a 20hp kohler into whatever i get so any info or take on this would be great as well! Thanks!

-Henry

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 04:31 PM

A cub cadet for free is a great tractor at a fantastic price. Good Luck, Rick 

Edited by boyscout862, October 14, 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 05:10 PM

I would think a 'newbie' would start out cheaply and see what everyone one else was doing. Plus learn how to pull along the way!

#4 Rocket099 OFFLINE  

Rocket099
  • 8 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 06:05 PM

A cub cadet for free is a great tractor at a fantastic price. Good Luck, Rick 

Yah, thinking that might be my best option but not sure how the setup as a whole is for the long run, rather spend a few bucks now then a lot later.

I would think a 'newbie' would start out cheaply and see what everyone one else was doing. Plus learn how to pull along the way!

Well when i do something, i like to dive feet first. And a super stock is my style, i may have to learn the hard way but thats a risk im willing to take. I should probably be starting with a smaller or simpler class.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Standard Shift Cub , and your off to the pulls!! All you really need to do is upgrade the clutch and tighten up the rear diff at first. This will get  you started. Then just build on it as you go . We started Superstock with a 18hp Briggs twin and got the feel for it and what needed to be done.

We are still improving, and can see the results each time we make a change. It is a very competitive class as is stock . We got lucky in stock and found our way near the front very quickly , and it is paying off , as we learn our rigs traits at every pull.

So get one of those Cubs, get an ajustable hit and wheelie bars, and some sort of weight system so you can ajust your weight bias easily , and go get some pulls under your belt!! :thumbs:

#6 Rocket099 OFFLINE  

Rocket099
  • 8 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Well I found a superstock sears for sale near by that I am going to look at it but wheres the fun in buying something built already so i am probably gonna buy it and this cub 108 near by and start building that one myself as a project over the winter. Unfortunately i decided to get started at the end of the season so it wont be until next june until i get to see some pulling. Running the local fair gives me access to the pit and stoneboat so maybe i can do some practicing on my own time!

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Everything keith summed up is pretty much dead on. But I seen your into the stoneboat so ill let keith take it from here and anyone else who has experience in help out :wave: Im a transfer style sled myself :D  

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Pretty much the same, you just use a lower gear , as all the load is on you right from the start.

#9 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 06:00 AM

I'll start this agreeing with Mike I've never tryed dead sledding only transfer sleds for me.   I like speed pulls ya know those hang on here we go type

With the cub 100 to put a 20 on you will have to redo the frame to drop the motor down to align it right.  Not hard if you can weld but something to keep in mind.   

As far as building or buying  we bought our diesel together but have been working on it since then only part that hasn't changed is the tin work.   Their never finished. 

#10 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 11:35 AM

There's actually a kid that pulls in our 20hp OHV class and he has a 122 frame with a kohler in it. All you done is cut and weld and itll fit right in. Unfortunately duane everything on mine has been changed so many times in just this year alone lol :rolling: Gonna speed the rear up 1 more time, got a new turbo setup, and some newer sheet metal like what my dad's looks like. But I love my transfer sled and would never trade it.

#11 Rocket099 OFFLINE  

Rocket099
  • 8 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 07:08 PM

So today i picked up a 68 sears suburban with a 20hp briggs motor in it. Got wheelly bars on it and pretty much all setup for pulling. Could use a carb rebuild, some fuel lines and a couple other small things.

#12 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Any pics? Might need an adjustable pulley to help out.

#13 Rocket099 OFFLINE  

Rocket099
  • 8 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Didnt think to take any, will definitely get some up as soon as i take delivery, only bought it today, wasnt able to take it. What do you mean by an adjustable pulley? Anyone know anything about these transmissions? Only problem he ever seem to have with them was destroying trannies.

#14 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 01:26 AM

Well it comes with a lot of torque and a real bitty track. When I mean adjustable pulley I mean the one on the side of the motor. Instead of taking pulleys off and trying them, they make 1 that's adjustable so it saves the hassle.

#15 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Not trying to start anything but,  I know of a couple that the Sear's trans were swapped out for Wheel Horse transmissions, Because of the weight Joe was pulling on a dead sled.  We had a Sears ST10 way back when and busted the trans in it. Not putting the Sears down we've also broke Cubs, Wheel Horses, JD and Allis's