powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 04:57 PM

Time to clean off the basement workbench and start a project that I will enjoy doing and hopefully a good friend will enjoy receiving.  A friend that has gone to a few of the local tractor/engine shows with me has decided he wants to do more that just look,  He wants an engine to take with him, it needs to be small enough to be easily carried/stored and with his limitations it needs to be a kick start.  A Maytag is his first choice, haven't found one to fit his budget yet but thanks to my $20.00 find at the Dublin show this Sept I think I can do something  to tide him over and I can afford to gift it to him.

Briggs N 001.JPG

Briggs N 002.JPG

The N on the left is a nice complete brass tagged one built in 1942, cost me $20.00 and had to carry it across the entire show field to get it back to our spot.  I put it on the stand, cleaned the points and had it running in less than an hr.  The middle engine is another pretty complete except for gas tank brass tagged N with a kick start that the same friend loaned me $20.00 to buy last year, and the right hand one is a $5.00 parts engine with a nice carb and air cleaner.  I hope to combine the best of the three and make him a nice kick start brass tagged Briggs N, and if I can locate an "extra" gas tank and straps I should be able to put together a nice little rope start brass tagged N for myself with some spares for the parts box.....

• bread320i, Alc, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 06:00 PM

Sounds like a nice present for and from good friends. The only thing I can think of that you might add is if it powered a but buggy for him. Get a picture of his face when you give it to him. Good Luck, Rick

#3 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 07:07 PM

You are a great friend to have. I hope your friend enjoys them. I recently have got into small engines myself. I am running out of room for tractors.

#4 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Nice idea your friend is fortunate. Let us know how he likes it.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Sounds like a great project and a great gift.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Peter, That is a great thing you are doing to give to your friend. What a nice way to help him out!!