• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 09:31 AM

I have a question about the 8" Brinly plow.  I picked one up about 6 months ago and this past Sunday I started messing with it.  What I found out was the adjustment handle and sleeve was pretty much froze up from rust.  I had been soaking it for about a week with PB Blaster, wire brushing all the rust off but it seems like there might be rust inside the sleeve that attaches to the rear.

Where would a person find a replacement adjustment setup for one of these???

#2 freedhardwoods OFFLINE  

freedhardwoods
  • Member No: 47074
  • 374 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 09:31 AM

I have a question about the 8" Brinly plow.  I picked one up about 6 months ago and this past Sunday I started messing with it.  What I found out was the adjustment handle and sleeve was pretty much froze up from rust.  I had been soaking it for about a week with PB Blaster, wire brushing all the rust off but it seems like there might be rust inside the sleeve that attaches to the rear.

If you have access to a torch, I would try heating it before giving up.

Edited by freedhardwoods, October 13, 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 10:02 AM

Where would a person find a replacement adjustment setup for one of these???

I removed mine, soaked it with penetrating oil and used a pipe-wrench & vise.

As said in another post.....Heat it up, THEN use parafin wax on it. The wax will melt into the threads and you should be able to turn the turn-buckle.

I have never tried this wax method, but several people I know have and swear by it.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 11:07 AM

I've had things rusted so tight you'd swear it was welded, but heating the FEMALE threaded part good & hot is the best method.  Heat that part as fast as possible to help stop heat transfer to the male part, then start unscrewing it.  Some wax will help a lot.  As it starts cooling, it may begin to tighten, so re-heating will likely be needed till you get it apart.  Once apart, a good cleaning & lubing usually gets things working smooth again.  Running a die down the male threads will help tons.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 11:09 AM

I will second or third the torch method.  That really seems to do the best at breaking apart the really rusty stuff.  Once it's apart, then using a tap and die on the parts will clean things up nicely.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Just to add to the heating process,as you heat the female part tap on it firmly with a hammer all the way around it, this will also help to break the rust bond and let it come apart.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 12:30 PM

Just to add to the heating process,as you heat the female part tap on it firmly with a hammer all the way around it, this will also help to break the rust bond and let it come apart.

SO true!  I've often gotten things apart by doing the tapping only, with no heat at all, but in this case, heat is likely needed as well.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 01:24 PM

I agree with the torch, one thing to keep in mind, that may be a sealed container you are heating... Those can become an issue.

If its gonna require cherry red hot, I would take it off and drill vent holes on the bottom where they won't be seen. Also allow you to take it off during the winter, flip it and add some oil.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#9 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 10:04 AM

Well, I tried and tried, got it almost all the way apart and it started chewing up the threads on the male end really bad. Heat, pipe wrench, lube,ect. This thing is a pain in the butt!!!!

If this piece is trashed, does anyone happen to have a spare laying around??

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Well, I tried and tried, got it almost all the way apart and it started chewing up the threads on the male end really bad. Heat, pipe wrench, lube,ect. This thing is a pain in the butt!!!!

If this piece is trashed, does anyone happen to have a spare laying around??

I believe the one for their newest plow is the same piece. You will want to contact them to verify, but here is the exploded parts list.
http://shop.brinly.c...-Plow_c_26.html

Part number 13. It's only $18 plus shipping, so not all is lost.

If you get another, be sure to run a tap into the the tube to clean those up first.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 07:31 AM

I believe the one for their newest plow is the same piece. You will want to contact them to verify, but here is the exploded parts list.
http://shop.brinly.c...-Plow_c_26.html

Part number 13. It's only $18 plus shipping, so not all is lost.

If you get another, be sure to run a tap into the the tube to clean those up first.

And put some anti-seize in there!

#12 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Oh man, thanks for the link, I see several parts that I am going to lust over until I can get them ordered.

• MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks