3 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 05:43 AM

Does anybody know it there's some sort of adaptor available to change a 2000 RPM PTO to a 540 RPM? Or is there a way to adapt modern implements to the old 2000 RPM speed?

This is the rear PTO I'm talking about.

I have a JD 420 and will definitely use the tiller, so I don't want to make any permanent changes, but I'd like to get some more implements for it and there aren't a lot of 2000 RPM ones available.

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 09:19 AM

What kind of implements are you thinking about running.There are a number of ways to change the speeds of implements.If yours has any belts [chains] you can change the size of the pulleys[sheaves] sprockets to get the desired rpm. I know you can also buy a gear box to change the speed as well.I'am not sure if its going to work just by mounting it onto the pto shaft. There's a place called [hub city] if you google it you can find out more info from them.I had gotten a gear box from Buffalo Industries in Winnipeg to change rotation of ccw to cw shaft rotation from them.You can try them as well to see if they can get you something like what your looking for.BTW they got my gear box from hub city so thats why I mentioned it to you. Larry
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 10:13 AM

Primarily I was considering a post hole auger for the 3 pt. hitch, or possibly a hydraulic pump to run a hydraulic home-built with.

A power rake of some sort, a sickle-bar mower, and that sort of thing are also things I'm considering. These are kind of an add-on to my landscape carpentry biz. Right now I use 1956 Allis Chalmers two wheeler for trimming brush back when they want something built in the trees, and now that I have a larger machine I'm considering offering large property (2+ acres) grounds maintenance.

For the post hole auger, I presently use a two wheeled tow-behind (usually it gets trailered due to logistics, but it is towable) that a friend put together, but the motor on it is showing its age. I like the hydraulics though, because we have some really ugly clay around here and reverse comes in handy.

I'm going to give Hub City a Google though. Thanks.

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 05:45 PM

John Deere sold a PTO gear box that mounted on the hydro pump, I believe this setup gave you 2 different pto's for the rear of your tractor. I see them selling on ebay from time to time.

Hope this helps, Brian
  • Reverend Blair said thank you