#16 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 09:13 AM

Gravity feed

Is it an open or closed side? Both my open side 120 and closed side 165 have fuel pumps (although the po of the 165 bypassed the pump, pinched the fuel line closed behind the air filter and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run) maybe yours is missing the pump?

#17 Skip3 OFFLINE  

Skip3
  • Member No: 45291
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 10:11 AM

Had a similar problem with my 145. Recently had the head off (warped) and cleaned/adjusted the carb, set the timing, and checked the valve clearances. Just in case, I adjusted the governor, but forgot to note which hole the linkage spring was in. So, I referred to the manual and put it in the third hole down. It started and ran, but sounded slow. A check showed it running at 1200 rpm, regardless of the throttle setting. A closer look at the governor's lever revealed a wear mark on the third hole from the bottom. Moved the spring, 3200 rpm, all is good.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Gravity feed

My closed side 145 has a fuel pump, don't know about the open side models.

#19 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• Member No: 4764
  • 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 07:49 AM

Open side tractors are gravity feed.

#20 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:09 PM

I had a similar problem with my LGT100, some of it was from my own doing. This tractor is also gravity feed & when I was redoing it I did what I thought was the best way to run the fuel line down underneath the carburetor then up to the it. The tractor ran great with a full tank of fuel & the throttle half open. When running full throttle with the fuel in the tank down some it would start losing power & die. There was a very good spark making me think it was a problem with the carburetor so I would tear it a part & clean it again. I was getting real good at removing the carb tearing it down & reinstalling it. I began to think it had to do something with the fuel from the tank, but when I would disconnect it & run fuel down into a can it was running full stream nothing holding fuel back there. Then one day while trying to figure this I tried something & was surprised at what I found. Holding the end of hose that attach to the carb at the same level as its attachment to the carb & opening the valve the fuel was barely flowing out & sometimes stop flowing. I moved the hose running it straight down to the carburetor trying to keep it away from the linkage & the tractor has run fine ever since. Some would ask how low was the tank when this problem started well it was well over a half of a tank full, definitely look high enough not to effect the amount of fuel getting to the carb. I know there has been changes made to gasoline but nothing I thought that would effect its flow rate. It can be something simple as that to stump us all some times.

Charlie   

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Holding the end of hose that attach to the carb at the same level as its attachment to the carb & opening the valve the fuel was barely flowing out & sometimes stop flowing. I moved the hose running it straight down to the carburetor trying to keep it away from the linkage & the tractor has run fine ever since.

Well, I don't understand that. A water level is one of the simplest tools in the world. A piece of

clear hose filled with water will show you level at either end. It equalizes. It has to. It must.

Was there possibly a plugged inline fuel filter involved?

• KennyP said thank you

#22 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm thinking kinked fuel line

#23 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Yes I know I have used that type of level on some projects. If the fuel filter had any restriction I would think there would be a noticeable change in flow with the hose hanging straight down but the seemed the same before the filter & after it. One thing that would effect the flow that would not be seen with the level would be viscosity. If oil was used instead of water there would be a noticeable difference in the time it take oil to reach its level mark.

Charlie

#24 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • 361 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:27 PM

The reason I ran the hose the way I originally installed it was it made it easier to keep the kinks out of it.

Charlie

#25 Ford yt12.5 OFFLINE  

Ford yt12.5
  • Member No: 76938
  • 4 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 03:00 PM

Two things I have run across. One could be but is unlikely. I've had the magnets on the flywheel come unglued and shift position. The engine does not like this. Has this engine ever overheated or run hot? Did you check the fins under the cowlings for dirt, old grass or other cooling impediments? It could be the head gasket isn't sealing after the engine warms up or gets hot. Quick fix for diagnosis is to retorque the head. If you get a mow in with no problems replace the gasket.