• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • Member No: 40532
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hi again. Before I shoot myself, I'm hoping someone will suggest a reason my lawn tractor just will not continue running while mowing. I asked this question several months ago, receiving a number of suggestions, all of which I addressed, but to no avail. I believe the engine, a 14HP Kohler 321, would idle all day with no problem - it starts right up and sounds great. When I rev it up, however, with the mower deck engaged - sometimes after only 5 minutes and sometimes after 20 minutes - the engine acts as if it's running out of gas and either stops or catches itself and revs up again, only to keep repeating the problem. It will sometimes exhibit similar problems at high revs with the mower deck off.I can more or less keep it going for a while by playing with the choke but it eventually stops. If I turn the blades off while the engine is at high revs, it 'hunts' most of the time. So far I have replaced the coil, condenser, plug, points, battery, battery cables, fuel line, fuel filter, carb float, needle and seat, carb to manifold gasket/spacer, ignition switch. I removed and cleaned the gas tank, removed and cleaned battery and engine to chassis grounds, checked all other wiring, set points, checked valve clearances, checked spark plug wire, checked governor adjustment, cleaned the carb (4 times). I may have done more but I can't remember. Up until this year, this engine never missed a beat, but it is obvious that something happened, and now I am the one missing something. I am considering a replacement carb as a last resort (47 053 09), but the existing one seems fine. HELP

Alan Wiedie

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 01:41 PM

One thing I can think of is to change the gascap. If the vent is plugged, a vacuum will form in the gas tank. Then gas can't come out of the tank. Start it and when it has trouble, unscrew the gas cap. If it runs better, the cap is the problem. Good Luck, Rick

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 03:56 PM

It could possibly be poor wire/ switch connections? Check all the white wires and switches for good connections. I had a pto switch give me fits on mine.

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Only as a last resort id replace the motor if everything you've tried so far hasn't worked.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 06:54 AM

The first thing you to do is determine is if its a fuel problem or an electrical problem. Test for spark as soon as the problem starts. If you don't have one, get a spark plug tester that plugs in between the spark plug and the plug wire that has a clear plastic window so that you can see the spark as the motor starts to break down. If you do this at night it will be easier ti see!

Joe
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the comments. Today I'm going to replace the original spark plug wire (looks good on the outside but who knows), double check all wiring, and find a spark plug tester. Could the stator or its regulator not be functioning properly, producing low voltage at times and therefore a weak or no spark? I am not a wiz at electrics.

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 11:05 AM

Not likely if it is charging and cranks rightafter stalling.

#8 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'm starting to think this has something to do with the governor. I have checked the adjustment several times and all seems OK. I find I am able to drive the tractor around at no more than mid throttle with no problems, but when I increase throttle to near max and turn on the mower deck, eventually the engine acts like it's running out of gas. If I shut off the blades, the engine surges or hunts. Maybe a tear-down is in order to check the governor components.

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 05:43 PM

The engine has an external could correct? If so the components under it will not affect its performance at all, as pullers and racers remove them
Sounds like its an ignition issue, or something internal. I had a techumseh do this for 2 years , then it threw the rod out the side.

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,742 Thanks
  • 7,514 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 06:50 AM

I'm starting to think this has something to do with the governor. I have checked the adjustment several times and all seems OK. I find I am able to drive the tractor around at no more than mid throttle with no problems, but when I increase throttle to near max and turn on the mower deck, eventually the engine acts like it's running out of gas. If I shut off the blades, the engine surges or hunts. Maybe a tear-down is in order to check the governor components.

If the gas cap vent is plugged, it will run out of gas to the carb.

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:00 AM

If the gas cap vent is plugged, it will run out of gas to the carb.

DITTO.

First and easiest thing to try.

#12 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:04 AM

Regarding the gas cap - mine is the type that has a float on a rod to read fuel level. There is a sizable hole through the dial face plate for the rod and then a hole in the face plate's plastic cover. I think this is plenty of venting, but I'm going to try another cap. Keith, did you say that racers and pullers take off the governor? How does that work?

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 10:58 AM

Dang phone ruined my post LOL . No What I ment to say was that they pull off the stator and charging systems , so to lighten up everything.

You very well may be in for a tear-down , did you replace the head gasket yet ?  This is realitively easy , and can shed a ton of light on your engine's internal condition. You could have a valve wear issue, leaking head gasket, other internal damage causing excessive load making the engine run hot, or worse trying to sieze up ?

#14 Chopperhed ONLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Have you checked the fuel pump.

Sound like its starving.

#15 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks