• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 RALLY OFFLINE  

RALLY

• Member No: 1054
  • 2 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 11:16 PM

that really is somethong to be proud of-buying it just aint the same as what you have done

#17 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 09:56 PM

Nice finish,
I can hardly wait to start on my MF 10

I figured I would post these up for you to look at. Last night I powdercoated a few parts. I used a pebble texture on the dash plate because it was heavily pitted and paint does not hold up as well on the dash. I think this one may go on my son's MF8 and I will take the good plate from his and powdercoat that one in a matte black so the decals can go on it. It does, however, look awesome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I did a couple brackets. I did the indicator bracket in safety orange so the pointer that shows behind the plate is visible. I may paint part of the bracket gray when I do some parts though. Just so it looks better if you look in there. The rod is the hood latch which is in the matte black with the brackets and bolts coated too. Once the dash tower is painted, these will really set it off nice.

Posted Image

#18 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 25, 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hi,
hopefully I do not offend or ????, but if the above was directed at me, I would have been offended at least 4 times.
This seems to be a pretty good site where people can get a lot of useful information, help with all kinds of problems and display with pride the things they have done-big or small. I myself am very new to garden tractors in general, especially restoring them and really appreciate the help I have already got from others. It is sort of funny, I do not know any of the people here, and will probably never ever get to meet them. But, already, I am getting to know them, from what they do and say.
So hopefully I will contribute in a positive way, like everyone else here, when it is my turn to do so.

I can do just about anything with powder and get the same or better results than with a wet finish -pits, rust corrosion ,blisters I make them disappear all the time,

as far as the primer it is very easily sanded and depending on what kind of finish your going for you can coat and sand and do that until your happy with the results and then add your top coat, or just primer and no sanding depends on the finish you want.
I only use powder-- ,primers, clears ,colors are all done in powder
powder cures at part metal temp for 10-15 minutes not at flow out for 10 -15 minutes powder flows at about 200 degrees part metal temp but wont cure until 400 for a minimum of 10 minutes of PMT you need an IR thermometer

when I said surface pretreatment I mean phosphates(zinc or iron) wash downs and rinses and with aluminum its chromate ,I didnt mean cleaner to remove grease I ment metal pretreatment for the substrate to help seal the surface after its been stripped/blasted-

powder coating can be applied with no primer but thats when your using a phosphate in your wash line- it creates a primer/etch/corrosion resistance for the coating to lay on
otherwise it would be like using a wetpaint and no primer and you wont get the durability out of it you want or may think your going to get

sandblasting is only a VERY small portion of what it takes to get a part ready for powder coating
I wasnt offended at all with what you said ,but to say that its easy and then say your no expert .
I have 8 yrs of fulltime powder coating under my belt and let me say it is not easy ,you skipped atleast 4 steps in your process and probably why it seems easy is all I was saying

Im not saying they dont look good -Im just saying its not as easy as 1 would think if your trying to do it right

for powder go here www.powderbuythepound.com www.columbiacoatings.com www.powder365.com www.nicindustries.com

eastwood's powder is overpriced mismarked crap!

you do quality work isnt that worth doing right the 1st time?

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 25, 2011 - 05:49 AM

I like that pebble finish.

#20 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 25, 2011 - 07:23 AM

Hey EMT, good lookin job. I don't care if you drug em two miles down a sandy road, coated em with a flour sifter, and cooked em on the BBQ. I really like that finish. We do what we can do, and submit it for comment, thats how we learn.

Regards, George

#21 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi,
hopefully I do not offend or ????, but if the above was directed at me, I would have been offended at least 4 times.
This seems to be a pretty good site where people can get a lot of useful information, help with all kinds of problems and display with pride the things they have done-big or small. I myself am very new to garden tractors in general, especially restoring them and really appreciate the help I have already got from others. It is sort of funny, I do not know any of the people here, and will probably never ever get to meet them. But, already, I am getting to know them, from what they do and say.
So hopefully I will contribute in a positive way, like everyone else here, when it is my turn to do so.

you would be offended 4 times LOL
YouTube - R. Lee Ermey Geico Commerical this should fit

when people say or do things that they themselves are not 100% sure on ,but then turn around and say its easy ,Im sorry for having to be the 1 inform him that he is way off ,but I dont see any other custom powder coaters as members of this site willing to inform him of the ways to do it right ,,

like I said eastwood is a bunch of mismarked crap and the other places I posted are way better options for buying powder coating materials from ,I didnt have to share those and he probably didnt even know about them since he is buying from eastwood
and and even informed him on materials so if he wanted he could get show finishes and not have to hide pot marks with textured powder

as far as being offended Im not sure why, I own and operate a custom metal finishing business and I said they look good !!

Edited by thecoater, January 29, 2011 - 02:02 PM.

#22 mac102004 OFFLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 225 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:39 PM

Parts look good. I think that's something I may look into in the future. Maybe not for GT's but for my other projects.

#23 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 171 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 05:59 PM

I have seen your work, I wish I had your talent,
  • thecoater said thank you