FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 09, 2010 - 09:43 PM

I figured I would post these up for you to look at. Last night I powdercoated a few parts. I used a pebble texture on the dash plate because it was heavily pitted and paint does not hold up as well on the dash. I think this one may go on my son's MF8 and I will take the good plate from his and powdercoat that one in a matte black so the decals can go on it. It does, however, look awesome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I did a couple brackets. I did the indicator bracket in safety orange so the pointer that shows behind the plate is visible. I may paint part of the bracket gray when I do some parts though. Just so it looks better if you look in there. The rod is the hood latch which is in the matte black with the brackets and bolts coated too. Once the dash tower is painted, these will really set it off nice.

Posted Image

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 06:35 AM

The parts turned out great and I like the idea of the indicator being orange. I am iffy on the textured look on the dash panel, it looks great, just don't know if I would like it on the tractor.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 08:48 AM

Yea, I hear ya.... that's why it's going on my sons! It was heavily pitted so paint work require filler and normal paint work.

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 09:30 AM

The textured look on the dash looks good. My, MF 1655 has a textured dash that's come from new? like that ,as it's a plastic dash with it molded that way.So really I think it looks good. Now a question for FirefyterEmt. you say powdercoating did you do your own,how do you do something like that.Why I'am asking is there's somethings I wouldn't mind painting that way as well.From what I understand it's a very hard paint once its baked on. Can you give me pointers on how to do this.Larry

#5 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 01:04 PM

is this something you did yourself ?

if you clear over the texture it will smooth it out and the decals should go on no problem..

also if you want a smooth finish with rusted and pitted parts try the KL primer -and there would be no need to hide crap with textured/wrinkle powder

that is also a wrinkle powder and not texture -textured feels like sandpaper -wrinkled powder looks like what you have-there is a difference

looks good none the less

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 01:51 PM

Larry, for the most part, it is very easy to do. You need clean rust free metal, sandblasting is the best method. From there, it's a rather easy process. You need to attach a ground clip and the powder is kinda "puffed on" with the guy and static electricty. Then it's placed in the oven at about 400 degrees (the powders vary) and once the powder "flows" and looks like a liquid or paint, it is baked for 10 or 15 minutes. Let it cool and bolt it on. If you mess up before it's baked... a blow gun removed all the powder. I like it, but I really need a bigger oven!

PS: "thecoater" Yes, I did it at my home shop. When you mention clear, do yon mean powder coat clear, or wet paint? Wet paint kind of kills the reason I want the plate coated. Is the KL primer a powder product, or a high heat primer? I assume a powder, but let me know more about it. The powder it self was labled "pebble texture" and it's not the typical wrinkle finish which is normally thought of, but I know what you mean.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 03:07 PM

Great job !!!!

#8 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 03:35 PM

the kl is a high build primer that is powder so is the clear ,not sure of your equipment but multiple coats means you need good tools you may not be able to use it and the clear with your current setup

you also should be doing some sort of pretreatment cleaning process to the substrate before painting or coating

its not as easy as one would think

Edited by NUTNDUN, December 10, 2010 - 04:14 PM.
edited comment out that wasn't needed.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 05:32 PM

Well, ya... That is kind of obvious that the part is cleaned with a pre-cleaner before it's coated... I am just using the Eastwood gun so it's not anything high end, but better than Harbor Freight.

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted December 10, 2010 - 06:17 PM

i dont think hes saying youre coating over grease, but you should apply a phosphate coating or etching. when i have done diy like you i use the eastwood epoxy primer then the base. works great. you can hit it with a hammer and it doesnt chip off. prolly doesnt have the chem resistance of some pro jobs but it costs pretty much nothing.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 12:58 AM

PS... I did not mean for that to really come off so rude. I only meant that cleaning was something that I did, but I just did not go into details in that post. I am far from an expert in powdercoating and honestly and never used a primer when coating. I am not sure if it would of hidden all the pit's that were in the metal, but I like the idea.

That said, I assume you bake the primer on first, right? Do you need to scuff it down before the top-coat is applied? Can imperfections be sanded out in the primer? Also... is there a good filler that could be used if needed?

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 10:06 AM

I like your powder coated parts. The wrinkly finish looks good too. As with anything, there is a learning curve, and I'm sure you'll pick up a lot as you go. We are not pro's at new things we try, but neither were the pro's when they started. I myself never figure to match a pro at anything I attempt, but I do the best I can, and try to learn to do better as I go. I think you're doing fine FF-emt!

#13 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 10:52 AM

Your parts look awesome you should be proud of how they came out..... great job.:thumbs:

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 12:37 PM

That looks good,great job.

Edited by mjodrey, December 11, 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#15 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted December 11, 2010 - 12:57 PM

I can do just about anything with powder and get the same or better results than with a wet finish -pits, rust corrosion ,blisters I make them disappear all the time,

as far as the primer it is very easily sanded and depending on what kind of finish your going for you can coat and sand and do that until your happy with the results and then add your top coat, or just primer and no sanding depends on the finish you want.
I only use powder-- ,primers, clears ,colors are all done in powder
powder cures at part metal temp for 10-15 minutes not at flow out for 10 -15 minutes powder flows at about 200 degrees part metal temp but wont cure until 400 for a minimum of 10 minutes of PMT you need an IR thermometer

when I said surface pretreatment I mean phosphates(zinc or iron) wash downs and rinses and with aluminum its chromate ,I didnt mean cleaner to remove grease I ment metal pretreatment for the substrate to help seal the surface after its been stripped/blasted-

powder coating can be applied with no primer but thats when your using a phosphate in your wash line- it creates a primer/etch/corrosion resistance for the coating to lay on
otherwise it would be like using a wetpaint and no primer and you wont get the durability out of it you want or may think your going to get

sandblasting is only a VERY small portion of what it takes to get a part ready for powder coating
I wasnt offended at all with what you said ,but to say that its easy and then say your no expert .
I have 8 yrs of fulltime powder coating under my belt and let me say it is not easy ,you skipped atleast 4 steps in your process and probably why it seems easy is all I was saying

Im not saying they dont look good -Im just saying its not as easy as 1 would think if your trying to do it right

for powder go here www.powderbuythepound.com www.columbiacoatings.com www.powder365.com www.nicindustries.com

eastwood's powder is overpriced mismarked crap!

you do quality work isnt that worth doing right the 1st time?

Edited by thecoater, December 11, 2010 - 01:51 PM.