33 replies to this topic

#16 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 06:19 PM

The ad was titled "1970 Sears suburban with 11 attachments" or something along those lines, not sure if it's the same one you're thinking of or not as I think it was only posted Thursday night. It was quite a haul and every last piece of it appears to be in working order as it sits so I'm pretty happy with it.
  • pigsitter said thank you

#17 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm the second owner of all of this treasure, the guy I dealt with was selling it for his deceased brother's wife. I just gotta say that I do appreciate all the input on the value of this stuff, I paid a little more than what most of you thought it was worth but less than he was asking so I think we both did ok on the deal.
  • MH81 and EricR have said thanks

#18 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 08:47 PM

The ad was titled "1970 Sears suburban with 11 attachments" or something along those lines, not sure if it's the same one you're thinking of or not as I think it was only posted Thursday night.

Yep that's it! Glad to see it was in as good a shape as it was listed,again congrats on making quite a haul,looks like you should have the equipment to handle most any situation.

Edited by pigsitter, October 12, 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#19 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 10:45 PM

That was quite the load. Not often you see so many attachments together. Have fun trying them all out. :thumbs:

#20 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 09:31 AM

I'm going to be carting it up to my buddy's farm soon (it's a small scale, organic CSA arrangement) so I can play with some of the implements and find out just how badly I can do plowing with a single bottom plow :D

I do have a couple of questions that hopefully the Sears guys can answer...
1: Is the engine a Tecumseh as I've been led to believe? It looks eerily similar to the K301 in my Ford 120 but all of the tags on it say "craftsman"?

2: Any idea what this bar may have been added on to the 3pt for?
Posted Image

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 01:30 PM

It's a teccy, double check by finding the model number on the tin... It will start with 143. That's tecumseh

As for the bracket. Is it possible it's a flag holder? Looks like its straight up and down when the lift is up?

#22 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 02:15 PM

Nice haul

Yes,  HH120 tec motor.

Not sure about the extra holder on 3 pt.

I see in one pic you also got a Troybilt furrow attachment.

#23 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 02:56 PM

Didn't realize the Tec's were so similar in appearance to the K series Kohler's, anything special about them that I need to watch out for?

That holder is basically straight up and down when the 3pt is raised, would a flag in there be decorative or serve some purpose? (I'm fairly ignorant about anything beyond just the basics as far as plowing fields)

The red furrow attachment was in with a pile of parts for the tractor and the guy told me to just take it as he had no use for it...

#24 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 06:50 PM

Tecumseh's like to eat the SSI modules after many years, but don't fret there are alternatives out there to fix. If it ever does goes out and you lose spark, don't get sucked into thinking you have to buy an over priced 40 yr old electrical used part.  

The flatheads are pretty durable motors, especially if PO took care of it.

#25 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I vaguely remember reading something about those modules being expensive but didn't realize there were other options. It appears that PO took very good care of everything, no bearings are worn out, everything is greased, heck even the blades on the deck are sharp!

#26 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Good deal!

If you need me too, I can measure my Troybilt furrower, they made two sizes, one for a Pony, the other for Horse model.

If you are creative, you can make a mount to fit the Sears 3pt and use it on the tractor.

#27 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 09:52 AM

If you wouldn't mind measuring yours I'd be curious just for my own satisfaction what this one was meant for. I'm also curious what these plates are for...
Posted Image
Do they go with the furrow attachment or is it just a happy coincidence that the bolt holes/slots line up perfectly?
As long as I'm asking about things that puzzle me, how about this?
Posted Image
Any ideas on that one? Lol

#28 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted October 14, 2013 - 12:10 PM

just by the pics, that looks to be a Horse model furrow, but I will try to measure.

The single plow furrow was used to make your row so you can plant whatever. You could set depth of tiller to determine how deep you wanted the furrow to be. If you measured properly and kept rows far enough apart, once you planted, you mount the "wings" and then go back in between the rows cover up the furrows and "hilling" your rows. It was actuay properly named "hiller/furrower".

My dads actually came with a long bar that mounted on side somehow and you could mark the width of your rows for the next time around. He never used it and it disappears, I think we made something else out of it.

no ideas on your other attachment.

#29 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 08:52 AM

Time to play another round of "guess what these are" :D I'm a terrible game show host though because I don't know the answer to my own question...anyways, I have a whole bucket of these that were handed over with the tractor and I'm stumped...any ideas?
Posted Image

#30 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 11:35 AM

I've seen those tines before somewhere, but can't picture it exactly. I think they are heads for some type of rotary cultivator, like a tiller, but just for cultivating, not tilling.