• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 32spec OFFLINE  

32spec
  • Member No: 45207
  • 22 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 03:58 PM

I know it's probably been posted on this forum before, but if you're having issues with the battery not charging, check the ground first.  My battery wasn't charging, so I cleaned up the batt terminals, cleaned up the metal were the negative cable was bolted to the body, and now I'm getting 13-13.5 V full throttle.

• NUTNDUN, MH81, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:27 PM

A bad ground can cause all kinds of weird things on trailer lights, so the moral is.......If you are experiencing any electrical problems, CHECK THE GROUND 1ST!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 06:23 AM

I have mentioned this many times in posts. It is vital to have a good "ground". Ground is not really the right term. The metal chassis of the tractor serves as a return for current flowing back to the - terminal of the battery. It is just as vital as the big red lead from the battery to the solenoid and other circuits. This is particularly the case in the high current starting and charging circuits. When an engine is on rubber mounts there will also need to be a separate connection from the engine back to the battery - terminal. That connection is also a potential problem area. Vibration, heat, oil, corrosion etc can cause connections to break down over time. It's a good idea to check the chassis connections every now and then and keep them in good condition. 

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 07:24 AM

I'm bad about this.  I'll assume I have a bad something or other before I ever check my grounds.  Its a good reminder for us all.