• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 02:52 PM

I didn't feel much like doing any welding for a few holes so I woke up yesterday morning & thought about this idea. I took a split shot lead sinker & cut it in half....this will do two holes. I also used a smaller one to do just one hole...not much difference. Push the piece of lead all the way through the hole because you want it to mushroom on both sides. I have a piece of RR rail I use as an anvil but I couldn't use it because of my shoulder surgery. I just put a hammer head on the bottom & tapped it a few times with another hammer to force the lead tight in the hole. I then ground off the excess then I will fill in the area with Bondo after I do my repair work. Hope this is useful & Thanks for looking!

These holes were drilled in my light panel by the PO.

hole 1.jpg hole2.jpg

These are some the PO drilled in the hood.

hole4.jpg hole5.jpg hole3.jpg

• Alc, TerryD, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Good thinkin',!!!! That's a lot easier than welding them shut and taking a chance on warping.

Mike

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:28 PM

The only thing to watch for is the airborn lead from grinding.

I once had a car restored by a couple of guys. They charged me a little extra for the lead handling. Since the car seams were all leaded, they had a friend come in and do the rest that way. It turned out perfect. Probably a lost art by now.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Yeah it is a lost art!! Some of will remember when custom cars were called lead sleds. And rightfully so.
Before bondo came on the scene, body panels were filled and smoothed with lead.
I think I have told the story of my dad dropping a tree on the right rear window of his 6 yr old 56 pontiac station wagon.
Pounded the top right down. Marv Ingram fixed it for $600 and after smoothing all the panels as best he could with hammer, dollys, slappers finished it smooth as glass with lead, torch and wood spatulas coated with bees wax.
I used to hang out with his son and watched him work, the man was a sheetmetal artist.
Though I am sure exposure to leads(whiich nobody knew was so dangerous in those days) shortened his life.
  • MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:35 PM

I remember seeing big boxes of lead in the old garage/body shop downtown.

I was told back then (1973) it was for body work, although I never got to see them use it.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 06:58 PM

I fixed a hole in the tank on my bike using lead. I made the hole a low spot with a ball peen hammer.
Cleaned the steel really good, put a screw in the hole, and just soldered it up. The tank was clean and empty and had been for years, so no worries about explosion.I filled the dimple with solder, and finished with a touch of bondo. 4 years later no leaks or separation.

Definitely is getting to be a lost art. I only knew how by watching a guy in a custom shop do it.

Edited by Chopperhed, October 10, 2013 - 07:40 PM.

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks