17 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 11:45 AM

I've been waffling back and forth between using chains on my front turf tires (16 x 6.5 - 8) for the winter months to get that added traction I need when snow blowing OR bite the bullet and buy a tri-rib tire.

Well, I decided I'd bite the bullet and purchase the tri-rib tires. Easy enough one would think. So, I went to Miller Tire's website to secure my new tires and to my wonderment (and partial bewilderment) I was faced with more options that I was prepared to deal with.

Here's what I found:

5-rib.jpg

ag.jpg

tri-rib.jpg

Before I launch into what I need from you let me tell you a bit about what I'll be using my Case tractor for. I maintain (4 seasons) a long dirt lane (100-150 yards). I blow snow, grade the drive way, till the garden in the spring and fall and collect leaves (hydra-vac attached to mower) in the fall. I have a newly refurbished K-2 cab (I believe) on my tractor and I have two sets of rear tires (ags and a turfs with chains). My rear wheels are weighted with approximately 60 lbs. of weight per wheel.

This is where I need your help (based on experience more than arm chair hypotheticals....please). Have you had any experience with these three tires on your tractor? What was your experience regarding longevity, traction, etc. What would you recommend for my situation. Thanks.

Edited by Moosetales, October 10, 2013 - 11:57 AM.

• boyscout862, JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 11:53 AM

I would go with the 5 rib tires as they should do the least amount of damage to your lawn when you are leaf vac-ing.

• Alc and Moosetales have said thanks

#3 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 12:00 PM

I would go with the 5 rib tires as they should do the least amount of damage to your lawn when you are leaf vac-ing.

I won't be on the lawn for an extended period of time. I use my Simplicity 3108 as my primary mower. With that said, and focused on the traction factor......what would you recommend? Thanks.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 12:24 PM

I think the 5 lug would give you good straight line floatation, with very good side bite. I would also think that on snow/ice it doesn't matter what you use unless you use chains and/or weight.

• Alc, Moosetales and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 01:00 PM

I plow most of the time with my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel with an FEL. My driveway is gravel and about 150 yards long. The 2000 has tri-ribs on the front and they slide sideways in heavy snow. I have plowed with my old Raider 9 and snow blown with a now dead Craftsman. I don't think that the front tires will make much difference unless you have four wheeel drive. An extra counterweight on the back may help but the rest of it is so very sensitive to conditions that the tires don't help that much. I agree with Brian, chains with bars seem to make more difference than the tread. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 10, 2013 - 01:02 PM.

• Alc, Moosetales and twostep have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Like the rears the fronts will load up without chains regardless of what you use. I would just chain what you have now & save some money. Let us know what you do & how it works for you.  :thumbs:

• Alc, sacsr, Moosetales and 1 other said thanks

#7 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • Member No: 9312
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 02:27 AM

The Vredestein V61's (1st ones you pictured) are the best you will find. I ordered some early this year for my 448 and used them for everything from plowing to steep hillside mowing. They are an excellent tire. For a working tractor I'd recommend nothing else. The 5 rib V-61's are just plain awesome. The grooves are deep and pronounced. For snow and ice nothing will out do chains, but this is probably the best you will find. They are 6 ply but were still easy to mount and ride nice, not as harsh as I thought they would. Steering is much easier even with 100 lbs on the front!

Attached Thumbnails

• 0704132308.jpg
  • DSCN0584.JPG
  • DSCN0580.JPG
  • DSCN0579.JPG
  • DSCN0583.JPG

Edited by Mjoe7, October 11, 2013 - 02:45 AM.

• Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse, bigspoon and 5 others have said thanks

#8 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 02:40 AM

A few more pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0588.JPG
  • DSCN0587.JPG
  • DSCN0659sm.jpg

• Moosetales, boyscout862, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#9 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the great feedback (with examples) AND for the pictures. I just pulled the trigger on the 5-rib tires from Miller Tire. Now to wait and get my rims prepared. Thanks again. I'll post pics once everything is on and set.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Mjoe7 have said thanks

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 12:27 PM

My 5 cents says to go Snow Hogs. They have good traction, but they are only 2 ply still. I use them on the Caterpillar for plowing and they will dig in for tight high speed turns when on dirt / grass. The bonus is you can usually find a used pair in good shape still. You can buy the new tires in your list and if you run across some snow hogs, I have a pair of Case front rims I will sell you, as I no longer have any tractors they fit LOL.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, October 11, 2013 - 12:28 PM.

• Moosetales said thank you

#11 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 01:38 PM

My 5 cents says to go Snow Hogs. They have good traction, but they are only 2 ply still. I use them on the Caterpillar for plowing and they will dig in for tight high speed turns when on dirt / grass. The bonus is you can usually find a used pair in good shape still. You can buy the new tires in your list and if you run across some snow hogs, I have a pair of Case front rims I will sell you, as I no longer have any tractors they fit LOL.

I may very well be in the market for a second set of rims. Shoot me a pic and price via PM. Thanks.

#12 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 01:29 AM

I also have several sets of front rims available if interested. Some tires good on them others not so much.

#13 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Well my new tires (and snow blower belt and new coil) came today. Now to locate some new to me rims.

20131016_210843.jpg

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 04:40 PM

I find the 5 rid tire Vredestein V61's to be the best all purpose tire.

002.JPG

#15 Mjoe7 OFFLINE  

Mjoe7
  • 172 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 02:23 AM

I find the 5 rid tire Vredestein V61's to be the best all purpose tire.

attachicon.gif002.JPG

If they work on an electric GT I think it will work great for about anything. Thanks for the pic. That's cool. Go Green! :rolling: