• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,441 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:23 AM

So, my neighbour comes running over yesterday, holding his hand over his eye.  He was mowing his lawn when he rode over a black walnut.  It shattered and a part came up and caught him in the eye.  We tried to flush it out, but that didn't work so I took him to his optometrist.  We walked into a lobby full of waiting patients.  He walked up to the receptionist & said "I think I have a piece of black walnut in my eye."  With a tad bit of panic in her voice, she said "Give me your health card, you're next."  It was a little unsettling, coming from someone who deals with this sort of thing daily.  The optometrist couldn't find the chunk so he called the on-call ophthalmologist who bumped his scheduled patient to fit my neighbour in "as soon as he can get here."  Turns out black walnuts carry a pathogen that can lead to a major eye infection that, if not treated, can lead to blindness &/or loss of the eye. They did find the particle, embedded in the eye lid lip, but it took about an hour.  

Word of warning: Watch out for the walnuts & other things on the ground when mowing this time of year!!

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, October 10, 2013 - 08:24 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,035 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:29 AM

I try to keep the yard clear of anything that can become a 'missile' out of the deck! Wire is my main focus as I has a 2" piece embedded into my arm years ago. Took them 3 hrs. to find it between the bones just above the elbow.

• Alc, IamSherwood, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Learn something new everyday, don't mess with black walnuts.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Glad that had a good ending. I found out years ago you can't grow a garden near a lot of Walnut trees because of the toxicity in the ground.  When I work with black walnut wood I get faded pink spots on my hands. It looks like I have been picking berries & it won't wash off but eventually wears off.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Did not know that, thanks. My mom has black walnuts all over the place, my son almost got hit in the head while we were working in barn last weekend. Sure is hard to mow the hill when you are driving on "walnut marbles" all over the place.

#6 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:37 AM

they are everywhere here!  The squirrels plant them in the most awkward places too, like right against the house where they don't get mowed down.  Once they reach 3 feet or so, just about impossible to pull out easilly.  Chop them and they sprout multiples. I finally got hold of some stuff from a farmer friend that kills the young ones, eben worked on a 10 footer but I really had to soak that one. I don't know what it is but he said if I get any on me to shower for about 15 minutes and trash the clothes. 

The nuts themselves are good for 2 things.  Cookies and Brownies.  No wait, I forgot about FUDGE there for just a second.

I knew about the toxins in the garden but didn't know about the pathogen in the eye thing.  Glad I know now.

• Alc said thank you

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Good to know.  My neighbor has a black walnut tree that overhangs my property and drops them everywhere.  I have to go out and kick them all back onto his property before I mow.  I'm ready to just go and cut half the tree down. :mad2:

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:47 AM

I didn't know about the Pathogen either. Good to know!  Looks like once again it is good idea to wear safety glasses.

#9 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,594 Thanks
  • 1,719 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 04:07 PM

The nuts themselves are good for 2 things. Cookies and Brownies. No wait, I forgot about FUDGE there for just a second.

Black Walnut Pound Cake. :thumbs: Rick

Used to have a black walnut in the back yard at a former residence. Real PIA. Rick

#10 shorty OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 3,740 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:03 PM

That is a new one to me. I used to have to pick them up when I was little. Hands always got stained, unless grandma made us wear gloves. I never got to like the flavor of the black walnut. 

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Wasn't aware of the danger.