• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • Member No: 48091
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hey everybody. I just purchased a little hiller yard hand tractor today, and am wondering if anybody can give my information on it. It is a model 100, and it has a power products model ah-36 engine. Also I am missing the chrome hiller emblem on the side so if anyone knows of a parts source I'd really appreciate it. Thanks very much!!smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• hiller.JPG

• OldBuzzard, Alc and JRJ have said thanks

#2 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:32 PM

Welcome to the forum, nice little tractor you found.

• cglisson01 said thank you

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 03:49 PM

:welcometogttalk: , and thank you for the photo.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 06:00 PM

Those tractors are something else.  I've always wanted one.  Two cycle tractors have got to sound good working.

I've done some work on Power Products, and I have some parts for Power Products.  Let me know what you need, help wise and parts wise.

Ben W.

• Sawdust and cglisson01 have said thanks

#5 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Ben. I've been searching for one of these tractors going on six years now, and was lucky to find this one. I may need a new recoil for the motor. I hadn't worked with it much, but the spring seems to be weak and won't pull the cord back in. I'm not sure how to date the tractor, so I'm guessing that finding a year on the motor will be my best bet. Do you know when the ah-36 was built?

• superaben said thank you

#6 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:24 AM

:welcometogttalk:

That's looks really nice!

Maybe try winding the recoil spring tighter?

It's worth a try

Thanks for the picture :thumbs:

#7 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Nice little tractor you have there.  I just saw an identical one for sale at the Penn's Cave show in PA a few weeks back.  It's not the same one by any chance?

As for information, the current issue of Lawn & Garden Tractor magazine has a cover story about the Craftsman version of your tractor.  You might still be able to find an issue at your local TSC store.  If not, info can be found in their sub-forum here or at their website.

Edited by Canawler, October 10, 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#8 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:58 PM

I found this tractor listed on a website for sale. And I have another question. Should I restore this tractor? Or leave it original? It's all complete except the hiller script, and its in good shape and in unmolested barn fresh condition. What would you guys do?

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:47 PM

Thanks Ben. I've been searching for one of these tractors going on six years now, and was lucky to find this one. I may need a new recoil for the motor. I hadn't worked with it much, but the spring seems to be weak and won't pull the cord back in. I'm not sure how to date the tractor, so I'm guessing that finding a year on the motor will be my best bet. Do you know when the ah-36 was built?

Records for a Power Products produced engine don't seem to exist.  We can estimate, though, just going by logos and the types of parts used.  Certain carburetors were used for certain periods of time, same thing with magnetos and the like.  There's nothing absolute, though.

Recoil springs may be still available as a Tecumseh part.  I don't believe my Power Products section my oldest Tecumseh manual shows which starter was used where.  You might post a picture and I can see if it matches something. 

I will be glad to help you get what you need to get that engine going, or at least point you in the right direction.  I have five Power Products engines here that I have messed with.

I found this tractor listed on a website for sale. And I have another question. Should I restore this tractor? Or leave it original? It's all complete except the hiller script, and its in good shape and in unmolested barn fresh condition. What would you guys do?

I like my machines original if they are good condition originals.  I like the old patina.  I would probably redo your Hiller if I owned it, though, since a tractor like that painted red with a bright silver motor would look sharp. 

Ben W.

#10 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 02:07 PM

Hard decision to make.  Usually, I like to restore my toys however, there are times where a restoration actually hurts the value of a true collectible.  It all depends on what you are going to do with it.  There is something alluring about fresh paint and a new appearance on an old machine.

#11 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted October 12, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Well think I made up my mind and going to restore the hiller back to New condition. What shade of red are these tractors supposed to be and what color are the wheels supposed to be? Thanks, Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hiller, yard, hand, tractor