• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Are tractor batteries  any different than car batts.  ?  I'm thinking that tractor batts. get bounced around a lot more AND would this cause the batt. to not last as long ??  Like in a tractor batt. bounceing is like agitateing or constantely sloshing the electrodes and the plates around keeping them rinsing and creating a fresh charge of electrodes

Any thoughts

I need a new batt for my bolens                                                  Thanks    sodisr

• JRJ said thank you

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 10:12 AM

To me when you install any battery it is a shot in the dark as to how long it will last.  My Craftsman GT had the original battery in it and it is 12 years old.  I did the Epsom salts treatment 2 years ago and as long as I don't let the tractor just sit for a couple of months it fires right up.  On the other hand I have installed batteries in other tractors and only had them last for a year or two.  Cars are the same way.  The Sportage still has the original battery where the wife's Sedona has had a total of 3 batteries and hers in a year newer.

I have read where some of the guys use car batteries in their tractors.  I also just bought a tractor that has a motorcycle battery in it.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 10:23 AM

The small generic lawn tractor batteries don't seem to be anything special and I don't think they are constructed any differently than a larger car battery. Both my JD GT's have small car batteries in them and there doesn't seem to be any problem. I always make sure the battery is secured so it can't move. Both the above mentioned JD tractors had the batteries loose in the tray when I got them. That is a hazard IMO as a short circuit can easily result in a fire. The batteries have a hard life as they are often installed in tractors that don't have a good regulator or in some newer tractors they don't even have a regulator, just a diode in series with the charge coil. They also get left out in the cold and unused for months at a time and loose their charge then bake inside a hot engine compartment in the summer.  I figure if you get more than 5 years out of one it's done it's duty.

• sodisr said thank you

#4 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 11:04 AM

To me when you install any battery it is a shot in the dark as to how long it will last.  My Craftsman GT had the original battery in it and it is 12 years old.  I did the Epsom salts treatment 2 years ago and as long as I don't let the tractor just sit for a couple of months it fires right up.  On the other hand I have installed batteries in other tractors and only had them last for a year or two.  Cars are the same way.  The Sportage still has the original battery where the wife's Sedona has had a total of 3 batteries and hers in a year newer.

I have read where some of the guys use car batteries in their tractors.  I also just bought a tractor that has a motorcycle battery in it.

what is the epsom salt treatment ???   If I may ask ??

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 11:25 AM

The batteries have a hard life as they are often installed in tractors that don't have a good regulator or in some newer tractors they don't even have a regulator, just a diode in series with the charge coil. They also get left out in the cold and unused for months at a time and loose their charge then bake inside a hot engine compartment in the summer.  I figure if you get more than 5 years out of one it's done it's duty.

I think that's the big reason, they don't get used and go dead, then get recharged in the spring. Lettin g abattery completely go dead and sit shortens the life span. Not to mention, they have smaller amperages and if they get any loads on them, they can't handle it like a car battery would. I have noticed the batteries in the tractors I tend to use all year round last much longer. I just replaced an Autozone GT battery after 8 yrs, this tractor was mower duty in summer, snow blower in winter, it was regularly charged and used.

Shoot, I just had to replace the top of the line HD battery in the wife's Jeep Liberty after only 2 yrs, it wouldn't keep a charge. Glad I had a 3 yr full replacement!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#6 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Would someone that is familiar with the Epson salt treatment of batteries please re post it for I forgot what it consisted of but I do remember seeing it once upon a time.  Thank You.

Dick

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Here is a link to the Epson Salt treatment for battery's. I have had pretty good success with it.

http://gardentractor...lt in battery

• HDWildBill, sodisr and TAHOE have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Brian.   :thumbs:

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:25 PM

The next time I buy a battery I think I will get an ATV battery. These are more durable, cells are not as close together & most are sealed. Back when I did a lot of 4 wheeling we always used marine batteries for the same reason.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and TAHOE have said thanks

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 06:05 PM

I always buy the biggest battery that can fit in the battery box.  I have been told that the hardest thing on batteries is zapping all the amps available at one time trying to start a system that works best on higher amps. 

Some systems are hard on batteries, that's why life expectancy on a lawn mower battery is usually one year.  They give you an el-cheapo less than adequate CCA battery that is nearly drained by the time an engine starts.  Some manufacturers design the electric clutch to work through the battery not off the charging system. 

Ben W.

#11 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Brian that is exactly what I was looking for.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, October 09, 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#12 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 08:15 PM

If the battery is only being charged to 3/4 or less capacity and left out in cold , sulphation could occur  in sealed batts and not be detected.  14 volts or better ok on cold weather but no more than 13.8 in hot .  Smart chargers from house current  or battery trickle chargers may be helpful in winter time .

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 08:19 PM

I just put a new battery in the HD-12. I did the epsom salt treatment on the old one and it did help but this last time the tractor was sitting without the battery it drained. Went to put it back in and when I went to push on the positive connection you could hear the post was separated from the inside of the battery. Figured it was best to just replace it.

#14 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Been using the HF float chargers on my ATV and OPE batteries for 2 yrs and have had good luck w/ them.

Mike

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,699 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 09:53 PM

When the bike is just sitting in the shop it stays on a battery tender and so far I haven't had any issues with the battery.  I have a battery tender pig tail on the GT but I usually end up using the tender for something else.  :wallbanging: