• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,417 Thanks
  • 4,883 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Ok, sorry for the long delay on an update. On the run, as usual, and don't have the time to get into the garage. Was able to squeeze in a trip to the Bama Plow Day this past weekend, but I do believe that will be it for GT trips until the Spring.

Anyway, in regard to the Sears Suburbasaurus:

After cleaning the carb, replacing the fuel line, and giving it a good once over I was able to start it up. There was a bit of drama during the first few moments as smoke was pouring out of the exhaust, it coughed and spit and sounded sickly. Needless to say, my heart just sank.

However, after watching this horror show unfold for a few seconds, it dawned on me that earlier I had put some MMO in the cylinders and carb to turn over the engine by hand before I cranked it. And probably had other cleaning fluids in the carb etc. I held my breath and crossed my fingers that it would clear. Sure enough... After putt-putting and coughing for a min or two, she began to smooth out. I left it at idle speed for a while and everything seemed to be fine.

I'm certain that the carb will need to be rebuilt, and the battery does not hold a charge. But now when I put the cables on it, it will literally start with the bump of the key and no choke. It's been almost a month since I last took it for a spin. I even mowed with it for a while at that time, but really didn't want to get it too dirty.

I hope to have some downtime next week to get back to the garage for some serious organization of the shop. I'm quite certain that I will get it posted on CL at that time. Along with a few Cubs that I need to let go of. Certainly wish that I could keep it, but Sears machines are not my forte, and I really need the space in the garage for other projects.

I'm really hoping that it goes to a collector that will appreciate it. I once sold a really nice Cub to a guy that I thought would take care of it. I don't have a problem with using these tractors because that is why we have them. Unfortunately, the guy beat that poor Cub like a rented mule. It was truly a shame. That is another story, for another day!

If anyone is interested in a real nice low hour Sears 18/6... I know someone that has one for sale...

Glad to hear it is up and running. It can be scary on start up, I used to hate to fire up a new rebuild Chevy motor, always had pucker factor going hoping it would break in okay.

Tried calling you a few weeks ago, but you didn't answer.

#32 Gil Williams OFFLINE  

Gil Williams
  • Member No: 49760
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:12 PM

wish i had more cash and was closer.i have the same tractor and its a pullin machine .my buddys aunt lives in ohio and just give him a wizard garden tractor,looks like a mtd with 15 in. rear tires.we are still tryin to figure out how to bring that one home.i keep telling him this stuff gets addicting but i dont think he believes me.

• MH81 said thank you

#33 debrag1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 80524
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted April 14, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Hi. Was this tractor ever sold?