• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Nashcub OFFLINE  

Nashcub

• Member No: 1572
  • 96 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the input on the wire question. I guess that explains the aftermarket toggle switch installed on the dash.

I will tinker with the Sears later today. Going to pick up oil and filter. The plug wires look kind of janky, but I'm going to hold off on those for the moment. I imagine that I will need to get into the carb for a cleaning.

Will see what I can do to get it up and running today. Maybe post some more pics this evening.

Edited by Nashcub, October 09, 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,408 Thanks
  • 39,662 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Which Onan is that? I see the tag on top of the engine. I see you have a bunch of manuals with it, does one have an electric diagram?

#18 Nashcub OFFLINE  

Nashcub

• 96 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Hey, Kenny! Looks like I joined the Sears Club... I'm blaming this one on Tahoe. He should have never brought that Suburban to the plow day! -lol

I will get more pics and engine specs when I get over to the garage later today. Other than taking those pics late yesterday, I have not done anything to the tractor. As a matter of fact... I have not even sat in the seat yet!
  • KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 07:56 AM

WOW, just wow!!!! That tractor is gorgeous especially if it's all original,...and all the extra's geesshhh!!!

and a perfect dash and nose cone :rocker2:

I wished I had the money, I would be loading up the trailer to come pick it up from you righ now, and my sons wants the minibike!   :smilewink:  :D

You found a gem right there my friend! Since you don't plan to keep it, I would winter it, get it running, and sell it in spring for no less than $800, I would ask even more. That's low hours on an Onan that's been well serviced, it should be a BG/MS motor.

Cute little oil drain, good idea, but if I drained the oil, I would take it off and put a square plug in it, just me though.

As said, these are very similar to the Kohlers, battery/coil ignition. Should have a hot going to that side of coil, maybe ignition switch went bad so they bypassed.

I saw the fuel line lying there, wondered about it. Mystery to why they had it off??? I see that the rear panel with the little red light is removed, I'm wondering if he pulled gas tank to replace fuel line and just never finished?

I haven't got into one, but I think carb is part of intake or you have to remove intake to be able to remove the entire carb. I know you can pull top, but intake has to come off for the rest? The experts will have to chime in on that one.

It also looks like there was an old style 2 bolt 3 point bolted to the rear plate but there is no lower arms pins in the frame so I'm wondering what was bolted on back there?

Yes, there are guys that make the reproduction stickers so they are out there.

I think  "click it and stick it"  has all the sears patterns.

You got a good grab there, I would have to sell a couple of mine if that one came in the stable. :thumbs:

#20 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hey, Kenny! Looks like I joined the Sears Club... I'm blaming this one on Tahoe. He should have never brought that Suburban to the plow day! -lol

I will get more pics and engine specs when I get over to the garage later today. Other than taking those pics late yesterday, I have not done anything to the tractor. As a matter of fact... I have not even sat in the seat yet!

Glad I was a good influence!!! :angel:  :rocker2:

• KennyP said thank you

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 08:17 AM

I went back and looked at pictures, I wondering if he didn't repaint the rear fendersThey look different shade nd very shiney

Also, look close at the paint around the rust under dash and shifter decal...little pinkish tint, looks like it in pics? My bet is there was a battery leak and it ran behind dash and out over center section. My sears did teh exact same thing and I got that pinkish paint where battery leaked.

Ok, see the two extra wires w/connector under gas tank area? That is what the extra toggle switch on the dash is for.....it fed the option electric 3 pt hitch, mine has it too.

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Cngratulations. That is sweet!

#23 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 01:40 PM

Where does this wire go??

I know there is a simple/logical answer, Just don't want to connect to the wrong terminal.  

Where is the condenser, I don't see one and was wondering?

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Looking at the pics, that red wire on coil is facing forward so that leads me to believe, like other said, to power an accessory or something. I bet if you follow the black wire off the coil it will lead you back to the the ignition.

If you pull the battery to see beind the dash, there should be a red- hot wire feeding that toggle switch and then a red and yellow coming out going down towards back of tractor to feed rear electric 3pt. That toggle switch has got to be for that, not to fire coil unless it was change for some unknown reason. The toggle should be a momentary up/down/off middle switch though not a on/off only.

#25 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,607 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 02:43 PM

OK... Go ahead and laugh, considering my "Talk Me off the Cliff" post...

Well, you know what you gots ta' do. When you fall off the wagon, get back on it. . . tomorrow.

You could punish yourself. Every time you bring home a beauty like this, you have to get rid of two others.

Edited by LilysDad, October 09, 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 04:59 PM

Where is the condenser, I don't see one and was wondering?

They put those in with the points on this I think.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#27 speakerman320 OFFLINE  

speakerman320
  • Member No: 29230
  • 54 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 09:26 AM

I have Seen lot of Sears Tractors and never Saw one this nice and kept up.
Good the little water valve on the oil drain is still there, but would worry me that it could be opened and lose the oil, But yes that is a wonderfull SS18 you take care of it and love it like a baby.
400 hr is still growing up. Thanks for showing it to us and I'm glad to be here in this group.

#28 Nashcub OFFLINE  

Nashcub

• 96 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 09:58 AM

IMG_1218.jpg

Engine ID plate.

Will have an update on the running status tonight.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted October 13, 2013 - 05:37 AM

Any headway? I was hoping to hear a youtube video of her running.

#30 Nashcub OFFLINE  

Nashcub

• 96 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 12:45 AM

Ok, sorry for the long delay on an update. On the run, as usual, and don't have the time to get into the garage. Was able to squeeze in a trip to the Bama Plow Day this past weekend, but I do believe that will be it for GT trips until the Spring.

Anyway, in regard to the Sears Suburbasaurus:

After cleaning the carb, replacing the fuel line, and giving it a good once over I was able to start it up. There was a bit of drama during the first few moments as smoke was pouring out of the exhaust, it coughed and spit and sounded sickly. Needless to say, my heart just sank.

However, after watching this horror show unfold for a few seconds, it dawned on me that earlier I had put some MMO in the cylinders and carb to turn over the engine by hand before I cranked it. And probably had other cleaning fluids in the carb etc. I held my breath and crossed my fingers that it would clear. Sure enough... After putt-putting and coughing for a min or two, she began to smooth out. I left it at idle speed for a while and everything seemed to be fine.

I'm certain that the carb will need to be rebuilt, and the battery does not hold a charge. But now when I put the cables on it, it will literally start with the bump of the key and no choke. It's been almost a month since I last took it for a spin. I even mowed with it for a while at that time, but really didn't want to get it too dirty.

I hope to have some downtime next week to get back to the garage for some serious organization of the shop. I'm quite certain that I will get it posted on CL at that time. Along with a few Cubs that I need to let go of. Certainly wish that I could keep it, but Sears machines are not my forte, and I really need the space in the garage for other projects.

I'm really hoping that it goes to a collector that will appreciate it. I once sold a really nice Cub to a guy that I thought would take care of it. I don't have a problem with using these tractors because that is why we have them. Unfortunately, the guy beat that poor Cub like a rented mule. It was truly a shame. That is another story, for another day!

If anyone is interested in a real nice low hour Sears 18/6... I know someone that has one for sale...

Edited by Nashcub, November 06, 2013 - 12:46 AM.