Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Homemade 1949 Crosley Tractor - $450 (Andover, Ct)

crosley

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 08:41 AM

This is the same tractor that I saw at the Zagray Farm Show. It ran and drove well. http://gardentractor...ct/#entry371871

http://hartford.crai...4078253311.html

CLhartford all for sale / wanted farm & garden - by owner

ReplyReply to: r2wzh-4078253311@sale.craigslist.org [?]

flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of

Posted: 2013-09-19, 5:00PM EDT

1949 Crosley Tractor - $450 (Andover)
01313_alhnv9RpXOB_600x450.jpg
00u0u_c2PciZl2iU3_50x50c.jpg00x0x_jLdwo3dOfzh_50x50c.jpg01313_alhnv9RpXOB_50x50c.jpg01414_fA7SAnJiUKI_50x50c.jpg00303_gHZpUvUwRvn_50x50c.jpg01212_i5T5wdnMHzj_50x50c.jpg00N0N_8yM9OJecB2g_50x50c.jpg00e0e_jj3Sisa4Hkf_50x50c.jpg

This is a 49 Crosley that has been turned into a very nice utility tractor. 4 cyl gas motor with two 3spd transmissions, the second mounted reversed for some very low end torque. Dually rear. Manual and hydraulic dump. Hydraulic two way plow set up (no plow). Good hydraulic brakes. Starts and runs perfect. 6 volts, lights work. $625.

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 02:13 PM

Unique looking unit. Someone took a lot of time on that

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Why on earth would anyone "reverse" the second tranny? 

Pictures clearly show the trans is in the correct way to gear it down.

#4 Racerxxx OFFLINE  

Racerxxx
  • Member No: 22706
  • 57 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Why on earth would anyone "reverse" the second tranny? 

Pictures clearly show the trans is in the correct way to gear it down.

That was my question also.

Would a reversed transmission even work?

#5 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 09, 2013 - 08:18 AM

They don't look reversed. And I also would question the Reversed mounting.

Now if you put both transmissions in reverse you would have a super low gearing.

#6 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 05:32 PM

The trannys are in correctly - the second one is not reversed - as the picture clearly shows.  The seller doesn't know what he is talking about. 

IF the second tranny was in reversed, [and you had the first tranny in 3rd and second tranny in 1st] top speed would be [estimated] at 150-180 MPH assuming the engine had enough umph to take it that far.  On a "tractor conversion" you want to gear it down - reversing the second tranny would gear it up.

When there are two trannys and both are in reverse - travel will be forward.   Some of you lucky Power King guys already know this. :thumbs:

Heck,  the trannys on that thing are worth nearly the asking price.  Be a real shame to hack it up but if someone out there had a Power King with a bad engine, single trans. and wanted a hotrod tractor ~~~~~~~  :smilewink:  :D  :worshippy1:  :beer:

#7 AntiqueWheels ONLINE  

AntiqueWheels
  • Member No: 48137
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Greeting Folks,

New to the forum, found you guys doing a search for more information on this very Crosley I saw on Craigslist. I Manage a Nursery (Trees & Stone not Kids) and have been looking for a "Golf Cart" for a while now. Came across this Crosley last night and absolutely fell in love with the look. I can operate almost anything but never really understood the inner working of it and was hoping you guys would help answer some questions about it before I drove 4hr (one way) to look at it. My questions are as follows:

1) What do you think it's operating speed is? I have no intentions of drag racing through the plant rows but it would not be practical if it drove slower then you could walk it. I would think 5 mph would be a minimum but 7-10 mph would be better.

2) Do you think it would have sufficient power to pull a loaded tracking trailer such as this http://www.bordercon...-trailer-6-x-12?

3) As I mentioned I am not very mechanical would I just be getting myself in to a nightmare with this thing as far as reliability? It's cheap enough that I wouldn't mind putting some work in to it but it dose me no good if I won't be able to rely on it most of the time.

4) Any idea what Crosley it was made from and what parts left on it actuality came off that vehicle?

I just love old vehicles/equipment and would be a lot more fun to drive this fascination around the yard then a preppy Golf Cart. Your thought and opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

#8 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:12 PM

Welcome to GTTalk A.W.!!

I figure this vehicle is just what you are looking for.  With the two trannys [installed as they are] it would have a VERY slow creeper gearing and would likely idle along at around 1 MPH in low/low.  There will be 10 forward and 3 reverse speeds.  Top speed would be faster than you would ever want - somewhere around 60 MPH.

I know it wouldn't have any trouble pulling the yellow wagon in your link perfectly - even loaded.

The Crosley car engine is a dependable unit and very simple to maintain.  There is a very active Crosley car club and they have shows every year.  My brother owns several Crosley cars and pickups, is a member, and usually goes to the national Crosley meet. Parts are readily available. 

I'd say go for it!   :thumbs:

Edited by Gtractor, October 10, 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to GTT. I saw the tractor(or doodlebug if you prefer) operating. The engine seemed to run real nice. I was very suprised to see him selling it. The little body dumps manually and he said it can dump hydraulicly. There is another Crosley engine for sale in this area too. The problem would be if you had to do any repairs. It is an unusual machine and you would need the books and a talented mechanic. Good Luck, Rick 

#10 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

cglisson01
  • Member No: 48091
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Wish it was closer. I wouldn't mind having it