• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Nashcub OFFLINE  

Nashcub

• Member No: 1572
  • 96 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hello, my name is Steven, and I'm a Garden Tractor addict...

As much as I love the Garden Tractor hobby, sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all of the "stuff" when I look around the garage (both inside and outside). I do not have as much time as I used to for messing around with projects, yet I still pick up stragglers when the opportunity presents itself. Now there are so many things to do, I don't know where to begin.

More often than not, over the past few months, I have been seriously considering liquidating everything that I have regarding to my GT collection. The whole nine yards. Not that I would quit the hobby!!! I'm just beginning to think that it would be much more enjoyable if I started with a clean slate and only had one or two GTs with which to fiddle.

My biggest hang-up is that I know that I would lose a lot of sleep should I let go of the collection. I have been fortunate to put together a nice group of equipment, and I have been able to acquire some rare and interesting items over the years. I have also sold some really nice pieces that I wish I had never let go... Hence.. my dilemma. I just know that I would be heart broken to see it go... even just one tractor! -lol

I need intensive therapy...

• MH81, Littledeere, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:32 PM

Wow, I wish I could say I have the answer... I'm it he same boat.

I actually TRIED to pick just one tractor here a while ago, and decided that the best I could do was one HALF my tractors. :D

As for the implements, I am enjoying them as much as the tractors sometimes...
  • Littledeere and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:36 PM

It sure is easy to turn around and find yourself surrounded by projects. I've been picked up several myself but I try to keep it perspective (in MY mind anyway) and realize that I only need what I need and no amount of talking changes that. I've been recently trying to trade stuff for or from low priority projects to go toward my high priority projects. There are only two gt's that I'm really attached to and have NO plans of getting rid. All of the others better earn their keep or they might find themselves on the auction block... literally.

#4 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:39 PM

HHmmm Don't know that I can't help you go either way I'm kind of in the same boat most have seen my pics here

some have even used them to show that they have some control.They might even say there sanity is more intacted than mine.

So if you think it will make you feel better my door is always open

You Can Start Bringing them down anytime :bigrofl:  :love:  :peace:  :hitting_self_roller:  :loosing_it:  :reading_the_manual:  :camera:

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Steven, I met you at Daniel's Plow Day and you seem to be a level headed guy. What you need to do is build a bigger building to store all your GT stuff in. I am also where you are and sometimes think I will never get all the projects done, in fact I can say that I won't ever get them all done because as I finish1I start 2 more. So just keep working on what you can and maybe you'll find the time down the road to get back into it more. :thumbs:

I say this because that's what I am waiting for myself. :wallbanging: :rolling:

• Littledeere, boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#6 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hi Steven :wave: , ... :big_hug:

• Littledeere said thank you

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Steven,

I too have the same problem. I have been doing something wise recently. If I haven't touched something in 3 years and it doesn't fit with my collection or earn its keep, or even pisses me off... It is gone. I have been accumulating since I was 16 and I have stuff I haven't touched in 5 years, and I'm only 23 lol. I got two brands and all the rares I hang onto, and those I store, even if I don't use them or run them, or get to them, they are together, and barn find material lol. I have been slowly getting less attached to my stuff, and more attached to getting back some room to just work on the stuff I want to use. You aren't crazy, just normal. Every year I get in a " I am done with everything " mode and want to get back to before I had too many to count lol.

#8 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hello, Steven, good to see you made it to this weeks' meeting of garden tractor collectors anonimous!  As you can see, me and all of your GTt friends and family are here too! 

Whether we choose to buy, collect, sell, or keep collecting, the need for old iron is contagious.  Me, I don't mind admitting it.  And, tho is is a tough decision to make, I have purged my collection before.... several times.  I finally discovered my limit is to only keep what I have storage room for......unless I see another one I want!!!!

Edited by James henry, October 08, 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 05:50 AM

Since this is something that is bothering you on an ongoing basis I would sit down and think about what equipment you'd really like to own. If you have stuff that doesn't fit into that category then sell it and put the money towards storage, tools etc that will help make the hobby more enjoyable and take the pressure off. Worrying about stuff piling up and being in the way is not a good thing and can make you want to sell it all. I also find that I need to take a break from tractor work every once in a while to reset priorities and look after other obligations that may have been neglected.

• Littledeere, Delmar, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 06:52 AM

I can feel your pain. I keep finding more Bush Hogs that I some how figure out how to bring home. I have parts tractors, whole tractors, and while trying to work on them, enclose my carport, repair a boat, and work every day......I started writing down what my goals were with what I am collecting and trying to make sure what I buy, keep, or sell fits into the goal.

Like you I regret some sales of GTs, parts, etc.......but most were sold with a good reason.....good luck!

#11 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi, Steven and welcome to the meeting.  There will be coffee and donuts afterwards so I hope you'll stick around.  

I think you are confused as to your real problem.  I am hearing that you have an overwhelming number of projects and that you are feeling frustrated by that.  It sounds like the underlying problem is not that you have to many projects, but that you don't know where to start.  Instead of cleaning out the entire collection, I'd suggest making a priority list.  A plan will help you stay on track and enjoy the hobby.  They say that one eats an elephant one bite at a time.

• Littledeere, Delmar and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hello Steven! I have about the same challenge. More GT's to work on than time or money allow. I have 10 at the moment. I decided to get the workers going good and then I can 'play' with the others. Got some that need paint, but that will be next spring.

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:31 AM

List all your stuff for sale at top dollar + 10%. That way you can convince yourself that you are dealing with it without actually doing anything.

• Littledeere, Delmar and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have 70+ tractors. I want to fix up 30 of them and strip the rest of them but have spent all summer on just trying to repair 2. I understand how you feel. Chances are this is a symptom of something else causing stress in your life. Figure what the problem is and deal with it. GT collecting is a hobby and should be a stress reducer. Sometimes you just need some time away from it. I'm working on a better storage system to make it less overwhelming. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP, Littledeere, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 09:00 AM

Yep, you are part of the madness. I have to laugh cause you ask other addicts to help you get over your addiction....hahah,....  I just say that in jest.  :D  

I think as it'sbeen said, most of use are there, have been there, or are working towards that place where we look around and wonder how we got to having this much stuff or tractors, implements, whatever. I will be moving  next summer and I'm working towards that now, cleaning up my dad's stuff, then having to down size my own. There are 3 tractors I will probably never sell, none of them run, then my Sears I've got tons of time and money wrapped up in. Them my projects...ugh the list keeps going.

I would agree to sit down, figure out your goals and go from there. Maybe downsize, maybe expand your storage, who knows.

Alot of help aren't I? :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

• KennyP, Littledeere, Delmar and 1 other said thanks