• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 08, 2014 - 10:14 PM

I have let the Ford sit for a while. I had almost made up my mind to either sell it , thinking the good running 16hp Briggs twin is worth more than I paid for the tractor, or find another mower to use the engine on. I decided to check it out one more time. I removed the deck, again, and slid under the tractor for a good look, one more time. It seemed that the belt , which I had replaced already, was too loose. There is no adjustment. I decided to clean the pulleys,with some brake or carb cleaner.  Don't know why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time. After the cleaning I tried it and it actually seemed to pull better. On the third or forth attempt at the hill in the backyard it almost stopped and the belt began to smoke. Suddenly the thing began to pull as it should and made several passes up the hill with no trouble. Tomorrow I will buy a belt one inch shorter than the current one and I expect to fix the problem.

Edited by thom, May 09, 2014 - 06:29 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#17 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 09, 2014 - 07:55 AM

I'm glad to hear you have a direction to move in with this now.

#18 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 08:18 AM

Oh happy day! I put the shorter belt on this morning and believe it or not I can climb hills now. I can stomp the pedal and do wheelies too! My wife is not sure the wheelies are a good idea.I have learned some lessons with this machine.

From now on I will not overlook the simple things.

I should have known that the first belt was too loose when I installed it.

I'm glad I didn't junk a good running, good riding mower because I had the wrong belt on it.

I think now that the Ford is worth the $50 I gave for it last year. Last week I would have sold it for $100. I have spent about $50 on belts but the $18 belt that was wrong will fit another project I have so it works out.

I will now resume the hunt for a deck wheel that is missing and deal with a couple of the tires that leak.

Maybe these hydro thingies ain't so bad after all! Thanks.

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 11:18 AM

Glad you got it running and pulling like it should.  Those simple things will get you every time. :smilewink:

#20 stargazer OFFLINE  

stargazer
  • Member No: 61227
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted August 07, 2014 - 07:48 PM

I have a yt-16g I can not get to turn over unless I jump the solenoid.I think my problem is in the brake-clutch switch but I cant find it.Any help will be appreciated

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 05:10 AM

I have a yt-16g I can not get to turn over unless I jump the solenoid.I think my problem is in the brake-clutch switch but I cant find it.Any help will be appreciated

According to the service manual (page 47), the switch is either between the fuel tank & frame or on the steering and PTO support cross member.

#22 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted August 08, 2014 - 11:24 AM

Glad you got the problem figured out. How far west in NC are you?