• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I now have a 5010 and a 728 that are not useable. Both run although the 728 will only run with the choke as least partly closed. That problem I can solve. Neither can be put into any gear . Both scrape too badly to engage. Both have been adjusted per the original repair manuals. I plan to start from scratch and do whatever is necessary to fix the situations. My plan is to...free up all pivots and linkages, so there are no sticking pedal , belt idler, etc. Someone suggesting checking the belt guides at the engine pulley . Clean all pulley surfaces that run against the belts, so the belts grip when they should and slip when they should. replace belts. clean or replace brake band lining. then readjust exactly per the instructions by measuring and no "eyeballing". Anything else that I'm overlooking ?Thanks

#2 gunnoyl OFFLINE  

gunnoyl
  • Member No: 48028
  • 12 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:02 PM

on the quick, not knowing the tractors, but knowing carbeuration, if it only runs with a partial choke, you need to service the carb (rebuild) or make sure you have no open connections, eg. vacuum. If not that simple, you do have a serious mechanical failure, like a head gasket, or as simple as a carb gasket. just because the bolts are tight does not mean that they don't leak.

hope this helps

• MH81 said thank you

#3 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:45 PM

One often overlooked thing on the clutch adjustments is the belt stops at the pulley on the engine shaft. Make sure they are present and in proper adjustment. They keep the belt from continuing to run when the clutch is depressed.

Edited by skunkhome, October 08, 2013 - 07:08 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 07, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Phil's got it...you have one or more belt guides that aren't present or aren't adjusted properly.  NOTHING cures the problem until those are in check.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted October 08, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Sometimes a rusted drive pulley will not let the belt slip. Good Luck, Rick

#6 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 07:57 AM

I have the 728 standing on it's rear with the deck removed. The stops/guides for the drive belt are present and are are bolted firmly in place. Neither appears to be bent. Should they both touch the belt when the brake/clutch pedal is depressed? With the pedal depressed I can not slip the belt by hand , so I believe the pulley needs to be cleaned and polished. Since the lower pulley is bigger than the upper one, the upper one, the one in question, is a little tough to get to.It looks like the lower one might be tough to get off so I will either set it back down and hold a wire brush and sandpaper against the pulley with the engine running or go ahead and remove the engine to get to the pulley. I'l probably remove the engine since I want to clean the area around and behind the engine anyway. Can anyone tell me exactly how to adjust the stops/guides? The instructions I have for clutch/brake adjustments say nothing about them. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by thom, October 09, 2013 - 07:13 PM.

#7 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted October 09, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Maybe this will help.

79f3117d379047afa3de0f5ad3f1cb6d_zpsc206

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:10 AM

While working on it be sure to lubricate the pivot well. These pivoting frame Simplicities are notorious for siezing and it then becomes a major PIA to fix. Good Luck, Rick

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 07:34 AM

With the pedal depressed I can not slip the belt by hand

Something isn't right with your adjustment if the belt is that tight with the clutch pedal depressed.

What manual are you using for the adjustments?  A System 5010 is model 1690007 and the manual is available free on Simplicity's website.  The pictures in that manual aren't quite as easy to see as the earlier manual, though.  I posted my Homesteader manual here on GTTalk's manuals section.  The graphics are a bit easier to see.  It can be found here:  http://gardentractor...0264-op-manual/

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 10, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Thanks a bunch guys. I have the engine off now. The pulleys, both the drive pulley and the belt drive , are pretty rough and rusty. Actually one or both belts were stuck in the pulleys when I found it. I will clean and polish the pulleys and either clean or replace the belt. The one-sixteenth to one-eighth clearences were what I needed to know. I'm going to clean the engine and the part of the chassis under and behind the engine before I put it back together. Then I will do the same on the 5010. I need to get both  running and riding because I have two grandsons who will be needing a tractor to ride soon.Thanks again.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted October 11, 2013 - 10:48 AM

While you are in the tear down mode make sure the center pivot joints just ahead of the seat are free to move.
  • boyscout862 said thank you